It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Using a small case fan as a GPU fan (modding tips)?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:37 pm
Posts: 57
Location: U.S.A.
I'm wondering about the possibility of swapping stock 40mm fans on a Gigabyte Windforce 5x cooler with something like 5 40mm Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX fans. Screwing the replacement fans on should be cake, however attaching them to fan headers on the card would be tricky, as GPU fans have different types of plugs.

Image

Image

Here's a photo of the stock fan plugs (looks like 4 fans are paired in combined plugs, and one is separate):

http://media.bestofmicro.com/9/X/345093 ... Cooler.jpg

I could likely mod that to fit, but then I'd have to also know whether fan voltage supplied by the card is sufficient for the Noctua fans.

Anyway, do you think this is a plausible solution, or is it a lot more trouble than I think it should be?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Using a small case fan as a GPU fan (modding tips)?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:16 am 
Offline
Friend of SPCR

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:53 am
Posts: 1315
Location: CT
In my experience, 40mm fans are rarely worth it on high power components. They barely blow any air unless you run them super fast (and are super noisy). Another downside is that the fans pull air through the cooler (instead of pushing) and pulling air is much harder than pushing it...
I have no experience with the 40mm Noctuas but I doubt you'll see much of on an improvement..

_________________
Main/gamming : Antec Solo|X-650|Asus P5Q-E|Intel Q9550@3.4GHz|HR-01 Plus 120mm Nexus @6V|Corsair 2x2Go XMS2 DHX cas 4 @4-4-4-12|Exhaust Nexus 120mm @9V|Intel X25M G2 160Gb|Samsung 1TB in SQD|2xGigabyte GTS450 OC (@900/1900/3800)|GPU fan 120mm Nexus @6V
HTPC/folder/Storage : Silverstone|E5300 with Samurai-Z|2Go RAM|GTX460@800|2x1To WD EARS|Intel X25M G2 80Go

Fold with SPCR


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Using a small case fan as a GPU fan (modding tips)?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:42 am
Posts: 345
Location: Australia
You could just plug the Noctua fans straight into your PSU, or use a manual fan controller, or use a splitter to control them with your motherboard/Speedfan. You don't necessarily have to plug them into the video card. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Using a small case fan as a GPU fan (modding tips)?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:37 pm
Posts: 57
Location: U.S.A.
frenchie wrote:
In my experience, 40mm fans are rarely worth it on high power components. They barely blow any air unless you run them super fast (and are super noisy). Another downside is that the fans pull air through the cooler (instead of pushing) and pulling air is much harder than pushing it...
I have no experience with the 40mm Noctuas but I doubt you'll see much of on an improvement..

Thank you

flemeister wrote:
You could just plug the Noctua fans straight into your PSU, or use a manual fan controller, or use a splitter to control them with your motherboard/Speedfan. You don't necessarily have to plug them into the video card. :)


True, definitely a possibility (connect in a daisy chain to a fan controller or some such).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Using a small case fan as a GPU fan (modding tips)?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:49 pm
Posts: 1256
Location: UK
I can't see this as being a quiet solution. It's already a 3 slot cooler so unless you desperately don't want a 4-slot cooler, ripping off the cover and tying down a pair of 120's blowing into the heatsink is going to be better at cooling and quieter.

Most graphics card fan headers now can give surprisingly high current so there are less problems with fan swaps if you are able to mod the cable or find an appropriate adaptor.

_________________
Silverstone SG03B: E8200, Asus P5E-VM HDMI, 2Gb RAM, Leadtek 9600GT+S1 rev. 2, Samsung 500Gb, Seasonic X-400, 2x Akasa 120mm, Scythe Zipang 2 fanless


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Using a small case fan as a GPU fan (modding tips)?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:37 pm
Posts: 57
Location: U.S.A.
edh wrote:
I can't see this as being a quiet solution. It's already a 3 slot cooler so unless you desperately don't want a 4-slot cooler, ripping off the cover and tying down a pair of 120's blowing into the heatsink is going to be better at cooling and quieter.

Most graphics card fan headers now can give surprisingly high current so there are less problems with fan swaps if you are able to mod the cable or find an appropriate adaptor.


This is a pretty different heatsink for what you're describing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Using a small case fan as a GPU fan (modding tips)?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:49 pm
Posts: 1256
Location: UK
ShadeOfBlue wrote:
This is a pretty different heatsink for what you're describing.

How is the heatsink any different for what I am describing? It's a big load of fins running laterally across the card. What I am suggesting is not changing the heatsink itself, it's just changing how the air flows through it. Rather than blowing it across sideways with 5 tiny fans, take off the shroud and fit 2 120mm fans blowing down on to it. This will be much quieter and cool it better. This is also the principle behind just about all of the high performance graphics coolers.

_________________
Silverstone SG03B: E8200, Asus P5E-VM HDMI, 2Gb RAM, Leadtek 9600GT+S1 rev. 2, Samsung 500Gb, Seasonic X-400, 2x Akasa 120mm, Scythe Zipang 2 fanless


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group