Windows 8, non-gaming new build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NoviceMike

Windows 8, non-gaming new build

Post by NoviceMike » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:59 am

I'm going to try and build a quiet pc. I won't be doing any gaming so I'm using the CPU's integrated graphics. Below is my proposed list of components.

1. Does anyone have any recommendations / changes?

2. I believe the case comes with 2 stock fans that I've read are pretty quiet, should I bother to try and upgrade the stock fans?

3. Do you think I'll need a third case fan, and if so, where?

Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power SeaSonic X series SS-400FL Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS GOLD
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LE
CPU Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz
CPU Cooler Gelid Tranquillo Rev2
Ram Kingston 16GB DDR3-1600 (2x8GB) - KVR13N9K2/16
Video Card Onboard Video
Sound Card Onboard Sound
SSD Drive Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
2nd Hard Drive 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green (5400 RPM, SATA III, Quiet)
DVD/CD Drive
Keyboard/Mouse Logitech Wireless Combo Mk520
Monitor Dell S2340T 23-inch monitor

(The Asus P8Z77-V LE mobo may seem like overkill, but it's $135 now on Newegg and I need both an HDMI port for my TV and a DisplayPort for my monitor.)

CA_Steve

Re: Windows 8, non-gaming new build

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:21 pm

It's a nice build as is. Do you have apps that need the horsepower of the i5, 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD?

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:24 am

Since you're nost using a dedicated GPU, why not go for an mATX case in order to save space? I know that the P8Z77-V LE is on discount but your computer would be much more compact with say, a Fractal Design Define Mini.

According to the SPCR review, the Gelid Tranquillo could perform better at that price level:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1289-page8.html

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO can be had for the same price and the performance is much better.

2) It depens on your level of tolerance. Some people don't need absolute silence and other people live in noisy environments. If you are one of the two categories, the stock fans will definitely suffice. But if you do mind the noise level during very quiet nights, then you may need to switch the case fans. But I'd give the stock fans a chance before I'd invest in other case fans.

3) No, unless you want to have a positive air pressure case. The heat dissipated by the CPU is easily handled by the two fans and the CPU cooler. So don't worry about that :)

NoviceMike

Post by NoviceMike » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:09 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Do you have apps that need the horsepower of the i5, 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD?
Really.... No, no and probably not. The most intensive use my PC gets is Sony vegas a few times a year, but my current build is 5 years old and I hope this new one lasts as long. I could probably do what I want, even with quality parts, for $400 less, but I'm willing to put in the extra money now so I (hopefully) don't have to touch this thing for a long time. I would rather put in the extra money now then kick myself for some slow running Windows 9 app 3 years from now.

To kuzzia...
Thanks for all the info. I like the idea of a smaller case. I'm going to change to the Fractal Design Define Mini Black Micro ATX and change the mobo to the Asus Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77. This increases my cost by $55, but I've never seen a Brinks truck in a funeral. (Regarding why the Asus Maximus V Gene - I have to have HDMI and a DisplayPort and I'm partial to Asus mobo's, so I think this is my only Asus Micro ATX option.)

Also, I like saving money with the Cooler Master. Is it as quiet as the Gelid Tranquillo Rev2? And will it fit in the Micro ATX case?