Looking for the most efficient 140mm fan.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Looking for the most efficient 140mm fan.

Post by aristide1 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:35 am

I'm going to need fans to move air somewhere else besides a PC. Researching 12V fans in general the ones that really move a lot of air are auto fans designed for to cool radiators. They draw a lot of current. I'm looking for the most efficient, since I will be running 6-8 fans from a small solar panel.

Given all that longevity and bearing types are a secondary concern.

Thoughts?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Looking for the most efficient 140mm fan.

Post by xan_user » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:54 pm

i might be able come up with some good ideas if i knew what you were trying to do. there are some good greenhouse fans and camping/rv fans that might work depending on your needs...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:03 am

Group 1 - I'm looking to ventilate my cellar on sunny days about 9 months of the year. The fan diameter really can't exceed 12 inches, but if some really good unit comes in around 15 inches some cutting would be reasonable.

Noise is a secondary issue, but I don't want the house to sound like a jet engine at takeoff, hence no Delta 7000 RPM fans.

Group 2 - Now that I may want to ventilate the attic as well. I found some 12volt fans up to 16 inches in diameter, they sell for about $300, which I find a tad excessive for what they accomplish. These fans need to survive and work in a hot environment, 120+F degrees. The first group is my priority, the latter not so much, but any and all info is appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:46 am

i havent done much reaserch yet... will do more this weekend. in the mean time check these out,
http://www.snap-fan.com/
might be a bit out of price range, but its a serviceable/repairable item that should last many years longer than any PC fan.

for the attic are you using a gable end to mount the fan, or will it be through the roof?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:47 am

Yes, I have seen that fan, it's a consideration. It can accept way more than 12 volts for more speed, making it more versatile. The 12 inch version is $310. Ouch.

This caught my eye as well.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?c ... 2/24%20fan

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:21 am

aristide1 wrote:Yes, I have seen that fan, it's a consideration. It can accept way more than 12 volts for more speed, making it more versatile. The 12 inch version is $310. Ouch.
it is steep, but quality isnt cheap. they are made to run many years in hot and humid conditions, and i love that they can be serviced.
aristide1 wrote: This caught my eye as well.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?c ... 2/24%20fan

Power 26 Watts
Noise 63 dB !!!!
:shock:

ive still not had a chance to ask around on some other forums i visit and off grid neighbors about some options that meet your criteria... ill know a little more on monday.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:14 am

xan_user wrote: Power 26 Watts
Noise 63 dB !!!!
:shock:
This fan operates in the 12-24 volt range, I would not be running it at 24 volts. 12-18 maybe. Otherwise I agree with you. The power rating is OK because I would not require more than 2 of these, could conceivably get buy with just one, ie better than nothing. I'm willing to bet my dehumidifer is also in the 60dB range.

There's also JetFanUSA, which has high efficiency and durable attic fans. Yes they are 120VAC, but if they work well and are quiet then I don't mind forking over some money for a small but stout converter just for that.