access wireless router

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

toronado455

access wireless router

Post by toronado455 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:09 am

Is there a way to login to a wireless router (to access the router's settings) wirelessly?
I am able to connect a PC to the router's WiFi network (though Windows states it is an "Unidentified network"), and I'm able to access the router's settings when the router is plugged into a PC with a network cable, but I cannot access the settings wirelessly.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: access wireless router

Post by nutball » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:59 am

On the routers I've come across it is possible to administer them wirelessly, but this is disabled by default because it's a potential security hole. There should be an option under settings to enable this.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks. There doesn't seem to be a setting to enable/disable wireless admin. I'm thinking it might be something more complicated. It is a second router and my goal is to use it as a dedicated wireless print server on my wireless LAN. But first I'm just trying to configure it to play nice with my existing wireless LAN. I'm not sure how I need to configure it. For the time being I'm happy to administer it via network cable.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:09 pm

OK, I am able to access it wirelessly now. I think it was conflicting with my other wireless router, because after I changed the router IP and rebooted the PC it worked. Also Windows no longer says "unidentified".

washu

Post by washu » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:41 am

It sounds like you want to use it as a wireless bridge. Many "home use" wireless routers don't support this.

In any case you don't want two routers in their default configuration on the same network. They both will try to hand out DHCP leases and claim to be the default gateway. However, since only one has an internet connection if you get an IP from the other one it won't work. You should turn off the routing and DHCP functions of the second router.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:08 pm

washu wrote:It sounds like you want to use it as a wireless bridge. Many "home use" wireless routers don't support this.

In any case you don't want two routers in their default configuration on the same network. They both will try to hand out DHCP leases and claim to be the default gateway. However, since only one has an internet connection if you get an IP from the other one it won't work. You should turn off the routing and DHCP functions of the second router.
But it is possible to convert a router to a bridge. See here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-tur ... ss-bridge/