Simulating duplex printing?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mettyx

Simulating duplex printing?

Post by Mettyx » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:09 am

I'm looking for a multifunctional printer under 100 dollars but I was wondering if all printers have software that simulates duplex printing(basically it sets to print every other page then you move the paper upside down so it finishes the other pages).

If not, how would one find if a printer software of a certain printer can do that?

btw, what do you think about this one?

Zolishoru

Re: Simulating duplex printing?

Post by Zolishoru » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:26 pm

When you choose to print a multi-page document, you can choose to print only a subset of the pages, like odd or even pages - that's the "poor mans" duplex printing: choose one run of even pages, turn around and reload the printouts, then choose to print the odd pages.
This choice is usually on operating system or application level, and printer-independent.
Regarding the inkjet printers: I avoid them, but that's just me...;)

edh

Post by edh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Every HP printer that I've used over the last decade has this function somewhere in the drivers. Remember it's a driver function, not a printer function so it depends also on which OS you are using.

Mettyx

Post by Mettyx » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Zolishoru wrote: Regarding the inkjet printers: I avoid them, but that's just me...;)
Well, color laser printers are in a whole different price category, way beyond the inkjets.

Also, I'm a bit confused about something, a lot of these printers have 2 ink cartridges, 1 black and 1 multicolor and I've read that if you print only in monochrone you still use both cartridges so you have to buy both. This is noted as a big minus in some reviews. What's that all about, is there some category of inkjet printers that don't do that?

edh

Post by edh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:26 am

Mettyx wrote:Also, I'm a bit confused about something, a lot of these printers have 2 ink cartridges, 1 black and 1 multicolor and I've read that if you print only in monochrone you still use both cartridges so you have to buy both.
It won't use the colour ink for black and white printing but the cartridge does have to be there for most printers to work. If however you are buying a new printer and only intending to use the black most of the time the starter colour cartridge will sit there being unused so this is fine.

I would avoid such a cheap inkjet. They simply don't last. 15 years ago you could get inkjets which would last but they cost so much more that you would expect them to. Even many cheap laser printers nowadays won't last as they have the same cheap paper handling parts as inkjets. Looking at HPs laserjet range now the LaserJet Pro 400 is the cheapest that I'd buy. I recently saw an Epson LQ570 dot matric printer still working. They're about 20 years old and will last because everything is made of big lumps of metal.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:16 am

edh wrote:It won't use the colour ink for black and white printing but the cartridge does have to be there for most printers to work. If however you are buying a new printer and only intending to use the black most of the time the starter colour cartridge will sit there being unused so this is fine.
Most HP-driver will explicitly use the color cartridge while printing black/white. HP claims some weird quality issues as reason, but i think they just want to sell more cartridges.

And afaik all other ink printer manufactors aren't really thinking different.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:16 pm

With a Canon printer I routinely run out of colors printing B&W documents, even when I turn on greyscale. The inks gets used in the cleaning process, which frankly happens far too frequently.

Mettyx

Post by Mettyx » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:23 am

Oh, I almost forgot why I don't want laser printers.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:04 am

Mettyx wrote:Oh, I almost forgot why I don't want laser printers.
Personally, I'm way more concerned about Dihydrogen Monoxide exposure. Potential laser toner problems pale in comparison.

edh

Post by edh » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:48 am

Mettyx wrote:Oh, I almost forgot why I don't want laser printers.
Just about everything could cause lung problems in a particulate form. If it was that bad then there would be major health and safety implications for those working in the factories that make them and those servicing equipment like photocopiers in the same way that there were for asbestos workers. You really don't need to worry.

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:09 am

For whatever my opinion may be worth too you Mettyx, I have a Canon Pixma MX 870 inkjet multifunction printer. It prints (built in duplexer too), faxes, scans, copies (B&W and color), and has a memory card reader built in. It has been here for over two years and I love it. It is just about the best printer I've ever had.

It does use up color ink cleaning the printhead almost every time it is turned on, but it is a small price to pay for such superb paper handling and great printing.

The MX 870 was sold for $199.95, but I came across it on sale for $149.95 at Office Depot, and they were also having a promotion for all inkjet printers, $50 off the price if you brought in your old inkjet. Thus the actual purchase price was $99.95. One of the best deals I"ve ever gotten in computer peripherals.

I traded in my HP Deskjet 5150, which I hated. That damn thing would jam up almost constantly when printing the second side of the pages the way you describe. The Canon MX has never jammed up, and it has a built-in duplexer. The duplexer slows it down quite a bit, but it is worth it.

The MX 870 was very highly reviewed, and was the successor to the equally highly reviewed MX 860. Maybe you can find the successor to the MX 870 on sale somewhere and get a good deal on it to bring the price down where you want it.

Here is a link to Canon's support page for the MX 870:http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/c ... AndSupport