It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:17 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11819
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Samsung_S ... ED_Monitor

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 32
Location: Grenoble, France
A small correction: in the article, you write about "DVI Dual Link (DVI-D)", like if the "D" in DVI-D meant "Dual Link"; but DVI-D only means that it's digital, not that it supports dual link. To sum up :
- DVI-A: analog connection, compatible with VGA;
- DVI-D: digital connection;
- DVB-I: supports both DVI-A and DVI-D modes;
- DVI-D, and DVI-I in digital mode, can either be limited to single-link or support dual-link. Dual link support is sometimes referred to as "DVI-DL".

Also, it's worth noting that at least some of the cards you tested should support DVI-I rather than DVI-D (admittedly, DVI-I kind of includes DVI-D, and it's quite irrelevant anyway...) - the Radeon HD 6850 and 6870, for instance, should support it on at least one of their DVI ports.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:49 pm
Posts: 1189
Location: UK
Not my kind of moniotr really. It has an external power brick which I don't like. If they're going to go to the trouble of making the base integral, why not build the power brick into it so it also works to stabilise the monitor with it's weight? As the base is an integral part of the monitor it also excludes use on an kind of VESA mount.

_________________
Silverstone SG03B: E8200, Asus P5E-VM HDMI, 2Gb RAM, Leadtek 9600GT+S1 rev. 2, Samsung 500Gb, Seasonic X-400, 2x Akasa 120mm, Scythe Zipang 2 fanless


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:35 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Posts: 4469
Location: Monterey Bay, CA
Purty.

Also, it's time to put that old Asus dog down. 88W. :D My 46" TV only uses 5W more.

_________________
1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, MSI Z87-G45, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung Evo 250GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic X-560. 35-40W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 200-230W Rift, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:32 am
Posts: 132
Location: California
Its a beautiful monitor, indeed. Lots of nice "extra" features in that base. Comes with a good warranty.

However...there are WQHD alternatives that are really worth looking into. While you do take some risks, the Yamakasi Catleap monitors that are widely available on eBay are (a) really darn good and (b) available for $300-400, depending on supplier and features.

I can certain understand paying a brand premium. But 350% premium? For the same money you can buy three of the Catleaps, use two every day, have a spare in the box in case one of the "off brands" dies, and still have $100 left in your pocket.

The Samsung doesn't seem like a good deal at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:12 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11819
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
piglover wrote:
Its a beautiful monitor, indeed. Lots of nice "extra" features in that base. Comes with a good warranty.

However...there are WQHD alternatives that are really worth looking into. While you do take some risks, the Yamakasi Catleap monitors that are widely available on eBay are (a) really darn good and (b) available for $300-400, depending on supplier and features.

I can certain understand paying a brand premium. But 350% premium? For the same money you can buy three of the Catleaps, use two every day, have a spare in the box in case one of the "off brands" dies, and still have $100 left in your pocket.

The Samsung doesn't seem like a good deal at all.

Hmmm... interesting. Scott at the Tech Report did a writeup in the summer -- http://techreport.com/review/23291/thos ... e-for-real After reading his review and scanning the various forum discussions on the web, I beg to differ that you can equate one of those 27" WQHD no-name IPS bargains for this Samsung. 3 of those does not equal one of these, not if you're looking for consistency, reliability, actually usable controls for the screen, more than a single DVI input, etc. Maybe if you get lucky, and add a calibration device, one of those could be made the same or even better for good color work, but you still don't have intl. warranty support, and the price will run up close to the $700 range (after the calibrator and a good stand). Note -- I already have a calibrator & corrective software, and an articulated desk-clamp stand, so it could be fun for me to try one.

Now if you just want to game at high resolution, that's another thing altogether.

Edit -- and we haven't even touched the issue of electronic noise.

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:32 am
Posts: 132
Location: California
That is a fair opinion. But its not the only one. People choose to pay extra and buy suburbans in Cadillac trim too - but that doesn't make it a better truck...and if your goal is to haul stuff they are pretty much equal. Yeah, the leather seats are nice, but how did they help you with the main function of the vehicle?

The two Catleaps on my desk compare very, very favorably with the 27" HP WQHD monitor on my desk at work. Finish and heft of the plastic case is not the same - but the quality of the actual monitor is hard to discern. I actually prefer the 'glossy' screen of the Catleap to the matte/non-glare display of the HP. And I personally think "multi input" is highly over-rated. Once you set it on your desk your not likely to use a separate input ever...most people don't spend their days swapping PCs in-and-out of their test lab - they just use it every day as a tool to do their work.

As for calibration, what's the big deal. Users who care about their work calibrate EVERY monitor.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:24 pm 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:09 am
Posts: 1768
Location: Northern California.
yikes! if i was going to plop down that much cash on a monitor, id just go whole hog and buy an apple.

(BTW, does anyone know a good source for display panels with no added frills? like with only one input and no stand...)

_________________
“USA is not America, America is a continent!”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:32 am
Posts: 132
Location: California
xan_user wrote:
yikes! if i was going to plop down that much cash on a monitor, id just go whole hog and buy an apple.

(BTW, does anyone know a good source for display panels with no added frills? like with only one input and no stand...)


Do you literally just want the panel? Or something like a normal monitor with a single Dual-link DVI input?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:00 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:09 am
Posts: 1768
Location: Northern California.
piglover wrote:
xan_user wrote:
yikes! if i was going to plop down that much cash on a monitor, id just go whole hog and buy an apple.

(BTW, does anyone know a good source for display panels with no added frills? like with only one input and no stand...)


Do you literally just want the panel? Or something like a normal monitor with a single Dual-link DVI input?

just a nice display panel with a simple matte bezel, one hdmi (or dvi) port and vesa mount holes. i have a nice stand already.

sorry to be OT, but Cadillac/L.L. Bean/Gucci trim packages, multiple inputs and a new stand are completely useless to me. (and i bet its not just me....)

_________________
“USA is not America, America is a continent!”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:54 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11819
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
piglover wrote:
That is a fair opinion. But its not the only one. People choose to pay extra and buy suburbans in Cadillac trim too - but that doesn't make it a better truck...and if your goal is to haul stuff they are pretty much equal. Yeah, the leather seats are nice, but how did they help you with the main function of the vehicle?

The two Catleaps on my desk compare very, very favorably with the 27" HP WQHD monitor on my desk at work. Finish and heft of the plastic case is not the same - but the quality of the actual monitor is hard to discern. I actually prefer the 'glossy' screen of the Catleap to the matte/non-glare display of the HP. And I personally think "multi input" is highly over-rated. Once you set it on your desk your not likely to use a separate input ever...most people don't spend their days swapping PCs in-and-out of their test lab - they just use it every day as a tool to do their work.

As for calibration, what's the big deal. Users who care about their work calibrate EVERY monitor.

No need to take umbrage of my opin, as you say it is just one. You didn't say you had already made the choice you're advocating.

I can't see many folks buying this Samsung unless they do take photo or image work seriously (or have deep pockets and a love of style), and but if they do, things like a good functioning array of on-screen controls is hardly "trim", nor is a fully adjustable stand. I would like to see a lower price, for sure. The thing has no bad/dead pixels btw. Should have mentioned in the review.

Multi-input is important to me, as I've had two main computers at my desktop for years, and switching between them at source input on the monitor eliminates the inevitable losses (and wiring hassles) through a KVM. Running 2 monitors with two PCs is even more of a hassle -- but I did this for a while.

Lastly, since you have these monitors, what can you tell us about the sturdiness/usability of the stand, controls on it, and any electronic noise when brightness is reduced (if it can be -- see Scott Wasson's article -- he said only brightness & speaker volume was adjustable on his, and it took time for him to figure out how to work them. )
piglover wrote:
yikes! if i was going to plop down that much cash on a monitor, id just go whole hog and buy an apple.

I, for one, can't stand Apple's tilt only stand in a $1000 monitor... or that's company's general style-focused, take advantage of the fools, monopolistic attitudes. I never buy Apple if I can help it. (Not that other brands are so much better, but few have that kind of power. Learning recently that Apple demands pricing so that they can double their money on any partner goods they sell in their stores didn't endear me.)

I'm not convinced that their 27" is actually better than others anyway, like the best Dells.... and why is it that none of the serious monitor reviews eve test Apple monitors? I'm taking about PRAD.de, TFT Central, even flatpanelshd.com. No Apple monitor reviews on any of those sites. Why not?

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:52 am 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Posts: 4469
Location: Monterey Bay, CA
MikeC wrote:
..and why is it that none of the serious monitor reviews eve test Apple monitors? I'm taking about PRAD.de, TFT Central, even flatpanelshd.com. No Apple monitor reviews on any of those sites. Why not?


Because Apple never sends them a free review sample? That'd be my guess.

_________________
1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, MSI Z87-G45, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung Evo 250GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic X-560. 35-40W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 200-230W Rift, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:10 am
Posts: 370
Quote:
It is still in the Samsung catalog, although no one other than an imaging pro would be interested, given its modest 20" size and 1680 x 1200 resolution, austere style, and dearth of connectivity.

1600 x 1200

Quote:
On paper, DisplayPort to DisplayPort should allow WQHD screen resolution without fail. In reality it depends on which version of DP is implemented in the video card, and whether the latest spec cable is used.

That's not right. DP version and cable don't matter.

Quote:
Standard DVI provides a maximum resolution of 1915 × 1436.

Single link DVI supports up to 1920 x 1200 (24 bit, 60 Hz), dual link DVI is required for more.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:10 am
Posts: 370
piglover wrote:
However...there are WQHD alternatives that are really worth looking into. While you do take some risks, the Yamakasi Catleap monitors that are widely available on eBay are (a) really darn good and (b) available for $300-400, depending on supplier and features.

Cheaper (than Apple and Samsung) non-Korean monitors are available in USA as well.
Also, don't forget Dell U2713 and HP ZR2740w.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Posts: 536
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Another monitor heavily influenced by the television market. I wish they'de make some solid monitors in this size in 16:10 again. It's a nice monitor but not sure why anyone would go for this instead of a 30" @ 2560x1600.

_________________
Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group