Let's start SPCR wiki

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:34 pm

I've had a look at the wiki threads and what the project lacks is someone to make this their personal crusade. If a wiki is to be made, someone needs to take charge.

First MikeC and the mods need to be convinced that this is a good idea, so that it can be an official SPCR wiki. I'm not saying anyone specifically needs their minds changed - there just needs to be some consensus.
Then someone needs to choose software and host it.
Next a direction needs to be set. Will anyone be able to contribute, only SPCR members, members that are approved? How will articles be structured?
Then whoever who wants to/can contribute does.

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:44 pm

Blue_Sky wrote:Next a direction needs to be set. Will anyone be able to contribute, only SPCR members, members that are approved? How will articles be structured?
Then whoever who wants to/can contribute does.
I would think to have anyone who is registered being able to contribute, this way (deliberate) mistaken data can easily be traced to the source.

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:25 pm

I did discuss this topic (wiki) last December here.
viewtopic.php?t=45267

There are a lot of reasons there is no SPCR wiki in use (I know there is an "empty" one).

I think the main reasons are.
- SPCR wants to have total control of their "product" for several good reasons. And why shouldn't they.
- How is the SPCR or "Silent PC" wiki team going to be organized so that the wiki will be well administrated?
- Who will be responsible for updates and to do corrections? This will be needed all the time.

I believe SPCR might think the best solution is to keep it as it is.

To me an SPCR wiki page needs to be accepted by SPCR "staff" otherwise it feels wrong to go further.

If there will be an SPCR wiki I think it should be a complement to the SPCR site with as many links to SPCR as possible. Sometimes it might be hard to draw a line of what the wiki should contain (and not contain) versus the SPCR site.

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:06 pm

Alex wrote:To me an SPCR wiki page needs to be accepted by SPCR "staff" otherwise it feels wrong to go further.
Most definitely, i think we can all agree on this.
If there will be an SPCR wiki I think it should be a complement to the SPCR site with as many links to SPCR as possible. Sometimes it might be hard to draw a line of what the wiki should contain (and not contain) versus the SPCR site.
This is where the problem is. The wiki would easily draw away people (and thus impact on advertising) since it would be an easier accessable way of obtaining wanted data.
Perhaps this 'wiki' would be more suited as a bare archive to relevant postings of both main page articles as well as good forum threads. This way you would still need to go to the respective articles / posts for the real in depth stuff.

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:47 pm

How important is the ad revenue? I know it costs a bit to host the site, but it will cost someone else to host the wiki.

If it is a problem, I'm sure most of use wouldn't mind paying $10 to be able to post on the wiki. If traffic is an issue, you might be able to make it so that it is a private wiki. If there is a money/traffic problem I think then verifiable cost and traffic records should be made public.

I know we can make it work. I'm getting tired of having to compile lists of links that contain useful forum posts.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:16 pm

Well nothing really prevents you from putting the ads in the wiki too. I wouldn't mind.

scdr

What to do while waiting for the wiki

Post by scdr » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:26 pm

It seems like forum posts could be used as sort of an interim SPCR wiki, to gather and distribute information until the real thing comes along.
(If such are well organized/maintained it might help provide impetus for putting together the real thing, as well as giving some content ready to bolt in. If it fizzels - well, not so much cost for the administrators.)

I assume it is pretty obvious how a forum can be used like a wiki -
threads substitute for pages, main thing you don't get is ability to edit somebody else's work. (I expect there are some standard howtos on this?)

So, any SPCR wiki advocates want to plot out what should be on the wiki to start with? (What topics, how organized, pointing out threads deserving inclusion, etc.)

(Might also take a peek at the Wikipedia quiet PC entry. It could benefit from some more attention.)

mathias

Re: What to do while waiting for the wiki

Post by mathias » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:09 pm

scdr wrote:(Might also take a peek at the Wikipedia quiet PC entry. It could benefit from some more attention.)
It has really come a long way in the past year, but there is one problem relating to it, there don't seem to be a lot of links on other entries that lead to it. And there seems to be a lot of pages on related topics.
alleycat wrote:Well, look what I found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPCR

There is no reason why this couldn't be comprehensively expanded.
Well, it's gone now. There probably are a lot of entries on less significant tech sites, like maybe this one. So, that should call for one being made about SPCR, or for some others to be gotten rid off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:C ... g_websites

psiu

Post by psiu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:30 pm

This thread is aaaaaalive....

ACook

Post by ACook » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:34 am

3rd time it's been revived after almost exactly 1 year... :)

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:43 am

ACook wrote:3rd time it's been revived after almost exactly 1 year... :)
Hmmm, looks like this idea is really having trouble getting of the ground. Perhaps it might be necessary to start with a more limited scope project, say something along the lines of "making a silent, microATX HTPC", perhaps on wikibooks. That way, it would allow for testing the waters without there being all that much worry about it being competition against SPCR.

Coincidentally, wikibooks just so happens to have one on assembling PC's and one on accoustics both featured on the front page right now.

edh

Re: Let's start SPCR wiki

Post by edh » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:36 pm

2anrip wrote:Thank you so much for this!!!!
This guy is a spammer! Check through his profile and you'll see no posts of any real merit, they'll be back afterwards to add in links. Please ban them.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:59 pm

edh wrote:
2anrip wrote:Thank you so much for this!!!!
This guy is a spammer! Check through his profile and you'll see no posts of any real merit, they'll be back afterwards to add in links. Please ban them.
As you can see, he & his bs posts are gone.

edh

Post by edh » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:58 am

Thanks Mike. :D