WTT your non-vented Silverstone SG04 side panel for vented

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Syndil

WTT your non-vented Silverstone SG04 side panel for vented

Post by Syndil » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Yeah, I know, fat chance on these forums, but I figure I'd give it a shot just in case.

I'm building a SFF system based on the Silverstone SG04. I purchased the case from Superbiiz.com for $99 shipped (no longer that cheap, sorry).

Anyway, according to the pics on their site and the model number, I should have received the SG04B-F, which is the black case without the handle on top or the side vent. However what I received was the SG04B-FH, which is the version with the handle/side vent.

Rather than send it back, I want to see if I can find someone willing to part with a non-vented side panel for the SG04. I'll trade you my vented panel or buy it.

edh

Re: WTT your non-vented Silverstone SG04 side panel for vent

Post by edh » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:41 am

If this is solely a performance issue rather than visual, the two side panels are interchangeable. You could swap the panels round so that the vented side is behind the motherboard tray where it can't interfere with the positive pressure flow in the case. I tested this with the SG03 and there is a C or two in it temperature wise.

Syndil

Post by Syndil » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:39 am

I had noticed that the panels were supposed to be reversible, but unfortunately on the SG04 it doesn't work. The flat panel will indeed attach to either side, but the panel with the vent in it will not. It is not completely flat on the inside; there are screws holding the frame/mesh in place that protrude into the case. Since there is zero clearance between the motherboard tray and its side panel, the vented panel will not fit on that side. Would make my life so much easier if it would, but it's a no-go.

Actually this is just a noise issue. I'm putting a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 on the CPU, the PSU fan will be directly over that. It will be a push/pull config with the Scythe pushing air into the PSU and the PSU pulling it out. The vent would only be useful if I flipped the PSU around and having it draw fresh air from the vent, but I see no need to do that. So the vent will serve no purpose other than letting noise into my room.

edh

Post by edh » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:12 pm

If it's a noise issue only then a piece of foam cut to the shape of the vent would be ideal. This will also pad out the side panel to prevent it vibrating, something that can be a problem with these cases. It will also prevent air flowing out of it which is also beneficial as it improves the front to back positive pressure design.

Syndil

Post by Syndil » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:25 pm

I do have foam I have purchased for just such a purpose, but if I can get a solid panel, I would prefer that.