LianLI PC-S80 a no-go for silent&liquid Cooling?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Lian LI PC-S80 suitable for silent & liquid cooling?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:39 am

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 2

Syquus

LianLI PC-S80 a no-go for silent&liquid Cooling?

Post by Syquus » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:39 am

Hello,

Currently I have a LianLi(http://www.google.com/search?q=lian+li+ ... 0&bih=1017) since 2007...
With a Q6600-based setup (I won't go deep into details right now) and an air cooling scheme, It has work pretty well for me. (it has fulfilled my needs)

Now the time to renew the whole computer has come, and (due to GPU, mainly) I'm planning on going for Liquid Cooling for both gpu and cpu.

My question is: Is this case a good start for this purpose? Or should I go for a new case? (any recommendations, knowing that I love this case will be appreciated :)...)

I'm doubting about it because I love to squeeze current parts, instead of purchasing new ones. (scheduled obsolescence, you know)

But if any experts in the subject can tell me straight forward if it's worth it to keep it or not, you would help me... A LOT!

Thanks early

tim851

Re: LianLI PC-S80 a no-go for silent&liquid Cooling?

Post by tim851 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:18 am

Why shouldn't it be a good for liquid cooling?

It's a big ass case with what looks like enough space unter the roof for a 4x 140mm radiator.

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Bitfenix Prodigy has room for cooler.

Syquus

Post by Syquus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:52 pm

little bump over here. Any comments?

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:41 pm

You don't need liquid cooling to have a quiet or silent pc. There are a lot of reasons to still go LC, but noise is not the reason.

Since you didn't share more details, i can't say anything more.

Syquus

Post by Syquus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:25 am

Hello Pappnaas

what else could I add to let you help me further?

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:56 am

You could tell us what components are inside your case at present and how quiet this setup is. And more important, what parts will be in your case once you have upgraded and how quiet your new PC should be.

Most closed loop water cooling solutions cannot compete with a decent air cpu cooler according to spcr standards, they make more noise while cooling marginally better. And don't forget, just because you use a liquid cooling solution for your cpu you will still need case fans.

Do you need/use a GPU? If yes, do you plan on cooling this with a liquid cooler too?

A very powerfull, slightly overclocked (single GPU) system can easily be cooled with a air cooling solution, if the parts for the build are picked accordingly.

Syquus

Post by Syquus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:25 am

I appreciate your words Pappnaas.

I'll try to give a brief description of what I have, how it is, and what I want, and how I want it :)

Current Setup:
  • MB: Asus P5WDG2-WS Pro
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @stock (2.4Ghz)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja Copper (works like a charm both in noise & performance for my needs)
    RAM: 4x2 GB Kingston ECC RAM PC2-5300
    Storage: 2x128GB Vertex2 + 1 x 750GB Seagate 7200.10
    GPU: Asus Matrix 285GTX 1GB
    PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W
    Fans: 1 back 120mm (original case location) + 2 front 120mm (original cages in the case) all of them Noctua with voltage-regulated with a zalman module.
SOUND:
I don't have a sound/decibel meter, so It's hard for me to describe "how much" noise does it produces. I work in a very silent environment. This computer is almost 24x7, at 1 meter (positioned in the floor) from my head.
@ idle: (desktop, idling work apps) is 95% perfect for me (there is always room to improve).
@ load (for me: Gaming) it's insane. The gpu cooler (which only ramps up to 65-70%) is like a little turbine). That's why I thought about focusing on LC (or something else, I dunno) on the GPU.

Planned Setup:
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 WS Revolution
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
CPU Cooler: Something like Noctua NH-D14?
RAM: enough I don't mind :).
Storage: 2x128GB Vertex2 + 1 x 750GB Seagate 7200.10
GPU: XXX Brand GTX 680
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W
Fans: 1 back 120mm (original case location) + 2 front 120mm (original cages in the case) all of them Noctua, with voltage-regulated with a zalman module.

My personal criteria is something like this (from most valued to less): Silence>Reliability>Performance>Low Prices.

I hope this new information is enough to help me decide.

Kind Regards
Julio

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:33 pm

No need for 1000W power supply. Cut that in half. 500W max, the i7 3770 isn't that power hungry, neither is anything else in that build. Sell it and buy a better one.

No front fans. Rear exhaust fan is fine. Cut out the stock grill if you haven't already, use U-Channel or some sort of rubber edge covering, and then a 120mm wire fan grill and it will be much quieter and allow better airflow.

Noctua NH-D14 would be plenty for this build, it would keep the 3770 cool enough to let the rear exhaust fan rely on PWM/Motherboard thermal control.

GTX680 is a big card, what does it need to do? GTX660 isn't enough? Even with the 680, no reason for a 1000W power supply. Many GPUs do come with factory installed aftermarket coolers. MSI Twin Frozr for example, Gigabyte has some, and PowerColor as well. Shop around for a model with good cooling standard and it may save you in the long run, both noise and temps.

If you have 8gb of RAM, just get 8gb of RAM. If you're not maxing it out, then you shouldn't have a problem continuing to use the same amount moving ahead. Either 1x 8gb or 2x 4gb will give you room to upgrade to plenty more should you feel you need it.

It's possible that with the wrong selection of water cooling components, the system will be much louder than air cooling would be. Most users here use air cooling, though a handful have gone with water cooling and the builds are quite impressive, I can't really think of the last one though, it has been a while as far as my memory serves me.