It is currently Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:06 pm
Posts: 3395
Location: US
bestwestern wrote:
I think it's strange that Noctua is including their old 120 mm fan NF-P12 instead of the improved NF-P12 FLX which has better airflow at lower noise.


There is no NF-P12 FLX.

There is a Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120mm Fan. But that doesn't work well on heatsinks. It doesn't work well with the type of high back pressure that heat sink fans face in that type of application.

When the NF-P12 runs into back pressure it is able to keep the air flowing even against the impedance. In such circumstances, the NF-S12B FLX keeps turning, but fails to move much air.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:20 am
Posts: 24
Location: Warsaw, Poland
ces wrote:
bestwestern wrote:
I think it's strange that Noctua is including their old 120 mm fan NF-P12 instead of the improved NF-P12 FLX which has better airflow at lower noise.


There is no NF-P12 FLX.

There is a Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120mm Fan. But that doesn't work well on heatsinks. It doesn't work well with the type of high back pressure that heat sink fans face in that type of application.

When the NF-P12 runs into back pressure it is able to keep the air flowing even against the impedance. In such circumstances, the NF-S12B FLX keeps turning, but fails to move much air.


Is it also true for 140mm noctua fan because the only one they have right now is designated as FLX too ?

And would this cooler have better noise characteristics if we use two identical fans ? For example by using Noctua NF-P14-FLX on front and middle ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:44 am
Posts: 7
Location: Asturias
michaelius wrote:
ces wrote:
bestwestern wrote:
I think it's strange that Noctua is including their old 120 mm fan NF-P12 instead of the improved NF-P12 FLX which has better airflow at lower noise.


There is no NF-P12 FLX.

There is a Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120mm Fan. But that doesn't work well on heatsinks. It doesn't work well with the type of high back pressure that heat sink fans face in that type of application.

When the NF-P12 runs into back pressure it is able to keep the air flowing even against the impedance. In such circumstances, the NF-S12B FLX keeps turning, but fails to move much air.


Is it also true for 140mm noctua fan because the only one they have right now is designated as FLX too ?

And would this cooler have better noise characteristics if we use two identical fans ? For example by using Noctua NF-P14-FLX on front and middle ?


Wow.. I was wondering exactly the same question;

First, its possible to replace the front NF-P12 for another NF-P14?
Second, would it be any improvement in terms of noise/workflow?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 51
Location: Lima, Perú
I know this is a 2010 article, but: the features and specs tables in the first page are titled as "NH-U12P" :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:48 am
Posts: 80
Location: Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Moving my post from article discussion / recommended heatsinks here:

I read that the genesis is the no1 HS for quiet/silent cpu cooling.
I do not understand why it is not the NH-D14 because looking at the results from the Noctua test with 2 nexus fans:

-12V/16dBA: 31 delta C
- 9V/13dBA: 33 delta C
- 7V/12dBA: 36 delta C

These temps are lower per dBA than any other cooler tested with the ref. 140 mm Noctua:

Prolimatech Genesis seems the best but:
- 7V/15-17dBA: 37 delta C
- 6V/12-14dBA: 39 delta C

The Noctua with 2 nexus 120 fans wins by 6 deg C at 16dBA and by 3 deg C at 12 dBA

WHY ?

_________________
i5 3470 + heavily lapped Mugen3 RevB + stock Scythe SS pw @ 560 rpm, Intel DZ77SL-50, Gigabyte 6770 passive + 120 mm Noctua @ 460 rpm, 8GB DDR2, 60GB OCZ vertex 3 system SSD, 2*1TB HDD elastic band mounted, Seasonic X460W, SOLO II (Nexus intake + exhaust at 660 rpm)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:21 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 12105
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
ghia -- the recommended cooler pages haven't been updated for 3 years. Better to consult the comparison tables in recent review articles instead.

_________________
Mike Chin, SPCR Editor/Publisher
Support SPCR by buying your gear through these links: MSI R9 280X Gaming 3G for $189!, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:32 am
Posts: 5
Hi, so I own this cooler and after few years of cooling I want to make it quiter.
i7-2600k@4.5ghz, stock coolers @ max = max 70c.
With 2 noctua low voltage cables = 80c during heavy gaming

However its actually CPU fan that is still WAY audible in my case since when computer idles every other fan shuts down.
I have 800d corsair obsidian I packed it full with fans (3xnb12 top - disconnected + 3 corsair case fans - have replacement for them but they are not audible or running anyway, - fanexpert turns them on when I game)
Since upgrading to gtx 980 I dont need much cooling except for processor, even my disk bay right now is just ssd drives.
Its case that was never designed to be quiet, however right now its high priority for me since its in my bedroom.

Worth upgrading to 2xNexus fans? Or anything else that is quiter?
I was considering dark rock 3 but 2 nexus fans should be better?.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 3361
Location: ITALY
robwiel wrote:
Worth upgrading to 2xNexus fans? Or anything else that is quiter?
I was considering dark rock 3 but 2 nexus fans should be better?.

IMHO you should not upgrade anything: I guess it's more probable you have to set up how the fans work (and to re-seat the cooler), because under load with a properly configured Noctua NH-D14 you don't need its fans go past 5-600rpm, in order to cool down a 2600K around 55° - 65°C.

_________________
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:32 am
Posts: 5
Thx for quick reply. Will see if I can gain few c in reseating that would allow me to run lower rpm (fanexpert2 does not allow me to control speed on cpu for some reason, asus z68vpro). Still when I campare audio from nexuses seems they are quieter.

I even considered newer cpu but i7-4790k and 6 cores have higher tpd - 2600 is 95w(before oc) vs 140 of current enthusiast procwssors.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:24 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Posts: 4871
Location: Monterey Bay, CA
robwiel wrote:
(fanexpert2 does not allow me to control speed on cpu for some reason, asus z68vpro).


Hmm, does Fan Xpert2 in the z68 allow for voltage controlled fans in the cpu slot or just PWM? If not, you could load Speedfan and work the fan profile from there. Probably don't need to swap fans.

_________________
1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, MSI Z87-G45, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung Evo 250GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic X-560. 35-40W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 200-230W Rift, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)

Support SPCR through these links: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:32 am
Posts: 5
Hi, thanks for pointers, unfrotunately SpeedFan does not allow for controlling of CPU fan speed for some reason, there is direct control,
and custom chart, however when I adjust speeds or try for automatic adjustment on my chart it just doesnt do anything for fan speed itself.

Will try working it out in bios.

Ok, bad news, no speed regulation on CPU unless I connect cables/hw fan controller.
cant control cpu fans speed & chassis fans work as group :(
Quote:
CPU_FAN - 4-pin, PWM control only
CPU_FAN_OPT - 4-pin, PWM control, linked to CPU_FAN duty cycle
CHA_FAN1 - 4-pin, voltage regulation only (Might be wrong on this, but I don't believe from what I've read that the +5v pin on this header actually acts like PWM)
CHA_FAN2 - 3-pin, voltage regulation, linked to CHA_FAN1 voltage
PWR_FAN1 - 3-pin, no regulation
PWR_FAN2 - 3-pin, no regulation

source
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2199996


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:11 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Posts: 4871
Location: Monterey Bay, CA
There ya go. Asus expects PWM fans and you've got voltage controlled fans. Hence, no control.

Here's the latest 120mm and 140mm fan tables. Some good reading in there as well as the earlier articles.

_________________
1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, MSI Z87-G45, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung Evo 250GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic X-560. 35-40W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 200-230W Rift, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)

Support SPCR through these links: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 3361
Location: ITALY
robwiel wrote:
fanexpert2 does not allow me to control speed on cpu for some reason, asus z68vpro

That's because that motherboard won't allow 3-pin fans (like the P12/P14) on the CPU header (and probably even on some CHA_FAN ones, you have to check with a trial and error procedure).

But with SpeedFan you can hookup the Noctua fan on a different header and assign that header to the CPU temp (or CoreN ones): I didn't understand whether you have spare ones, or not.

Alternatively, as said by CA_Steve, you need a pair of two PWM fans with a PWM splitter, in case I'd advice for the Noctua P14r Redux.


robwiel wrote:
I even considered newer cpu but i7-4790k and 6 cores have higher tpd - 2600 is 95w(before oc) vs 140 of current enthusiast procwssors.

You need a mobo capable of controlling 3-pins fan on the CPU header, IIRC current ASUS do that in their "Advanced mode", but you have to check that.

_________________
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:32 am
Posts: 5
Thanks again for insightful replies.

Mentioned by you Noctua redux seems like good fit ~20usd for 1500rpm version and its 140mm fan which I could control (lowering rpm as needed).
Is it any better than Noiseblocker B12-2 which tops 120mm charts? (which is 3 usd more expensive here)

OR I could put 750 rpm M12-1 which I disconnected on my CPU fan, though I am pretty sure it doesnt have enough pressure.
http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/produ ... m.php#tab1

Asus board unfortunately links 3 CHA fans which makes smartfan solution problematic (but its really good idea).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 3361
Location: ITALY
robwiel wrote:
Is it any better than Noiseblocker B12-2 which tops 120mm charts? (which is 3 usd more expensive here)

The Noctua P14r should be slightly better than the NB B12-2, acoustically wise and cooling wise: take note that the B12-2 is not PWM, so it does not fit your current needs, while the P14r Redux may need a Noctua NA-SYC1 cable, in order to connect two fans to your mobo CPU fan header.


robwiel wrote:
OR I could put 750 rpm M12-1 which I disconnected on my CPU fan, though I am pretty sure it doesnt have enough pressure.
http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/produ ... m.php#tab1

No, the only use for those fans is IMO/IME as intake case fans, they will likely spin much slower than rated when mounted against an heatsink.

_________________
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:32 am
Posts: 5
Hi, thx!

Still got AC mx-2 paste, will reseat when new fans arrive.
:D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group