Case choices: Fractal R4, Antec Solo II or something else?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Which mid-tower case is better for silent computing?

Antec Solo II
57%
Fractal R4
14%
NZXT H2
No votes
Corsair 550D
14%
Antec P280
7%
Other (please specify)
7%

Total votes: 14

gdr

Case choices: Fractal R4, Antec Solo II or something else?

Post by gdr » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi, I'm preparing for my first quiet PC build. Can anyone comment from experience on the sound insulation used in Antec cases versus Fractal cases (or any other manufacturers who make good silent enclosures)?

Here is the ad copy from Antec's website:
Externally, the SOLO II’s dual-layer 1.0 mm SECC / polycarbonate top & side panels absorb noise for exceptional sound dampening.
And here is Fractal's version:
High density noise-reducing material for an optimal silent case - To achieve a high level of noise reduction, material with mass should be incorporated which is what we strive to achieve with the dense bitumen used on the side panels

Polycarbonate is pretty familiar stuff found in most consumer plastics, but what is the bitumen material used by Fractal? The only additional info I could find on Fractal's website is that it has a soft foam texture. I'm wondering which material is likely to be more durable in the long term.

Wikipedia says that bitumen is a form of asphalt. I'm not fond of the idea of having a layer of funky smelling insulation inside my computer. However, I really like the layout and design of the R4 but I think the materials used by Antec may be better.

I'm also considering the NZXT H2 and the Corsair 550D but I haven't figured out what materials they use in their cases. Are there any other models I should look into while I'm reading reviews?

CA_Steve

Re: Case choices: Fractal R4, Antec Solo II or something els

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:31 pm

If you start with optimally quiet components, any of these cases will make for a very quiet PC. Lots of posts and reviews on this site for the cases listed.

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:58 am

gdr wrote:
I'm also considering the NZXT H2 and the Corsair 550D but I haven't figured out what materials they use in their cases. Are there any other models I should look into while I'm reading reviews?
how you look in to the NZXT Phantom 820 w/ its 8 giant fan setup? I think they are scythe fans. I am trying to find a review on the phantom 820, but I don't see silentpcreview.com has a review on this item

mkk

Post by mkk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:47 am

Either in the list is a very valid option for various builds depending on the parts. Except maybe the H2, for being a case with too many design shortcomings compared to the others.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:11 pm

CA_Steve wrote:If you start with optimally quiet components, any of these cases will make for a very quiet PC. Lots of posts and reviews on this site for the cases listed.
I definitely agree with this point.

gdr

Post by gdr » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:20 am

The thing is I'm gradually retrofitting my setup from noisier components. So the quieter the case is, the better. The Temjin TJ08-E is starting to look appealing. I dismissed small cases like that at first as being too difficult to build, but with the removable motherboard tray, it may not be so hard.

ceh4702

Post by ceh4702 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:46 am

I like the Antec case and from my experience they build solidly built cases. However, sometimes they dont have that great of cable management. I have an older MATX case and it has a similar front that is flat with the side air intakes and I think that makes the case more sound reducing. Having thiker sides reduces noise also. If you realy want to test a case try standing on it. The rubber grommets are nice for hard drives. Plus they made the hard drives accessable from the front. With a smaller case it can be hard to change a drive from inside the case if there is little or no clearance.

Sometimes I think the Antec cases are a little overpriced. Same goes for Lian Li. If you have time you should consider waiting for a sale. Often over the timeframe of a month or two one of your considered cases or something else you might like could go on sale or the shipping may be free or both. Newegg has a newsletter and they give you access to discount codes if you let them send it to you. Sometimes waiting for the right sale can save $10-$20, especially if you get free shipping on a case.