fanless pc future?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tipo33

fanless pc future?

Post by tipo33 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:27 am

They aren't fans but they do cool:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2 ... e-ti-dcj/1
They mention less moving parts, but don't mention noise output. I'm guessing (hoping) they will be quieter though.

Spoon Boy

Re: fanless pc future?

Post by Spoon Boy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Its a shame they have not given a estimate of the cost, This has probably already been posted but i like the looks of Sandia Cooler

Irrelevant

Post by Irrelevant » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:24 pm

I kind of doubt that either the Sandia cooler or DCJ is going to end up in quiet PC's any time soon. I have to question the longevity of the Sandia cooler (how long until the spinning element loses alignment and starts grinding against the baseplate?) and the ability of DCJ to scale up to handle the kind of thermal loads and/or temperatures put out by anything more than the lowest power laptop processors.

I'm hardly an expert, though, and I very much hope I'm mistaken. The way things are going, it won't be more than a couple years before watercooling becomes the only way to quiet a mid-range system.

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:05 pm

IDK if we will every see the Sandia but i hope so, from what i can tell it has the same chance that any fan has at getting misaligned.
In essence that's what it is a fan floating on a thin cushion of air that is so close to the heat source that it eliminates the insulating boundary layer.

As for the DCJ i think this may well make it to market in some form or another as General Electric already has a customer who manufactures CPU heatsinks (Fujikura) and they seem to be offering demonstration kits to OEM's.
But i think we may only see it in smart phones and tablets where space is at a premium.