Quiet gaming case options~

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Kagnos

Quiet gaming case options~

Post by Kagnos » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Let me start off with saying I am a bit of a newbie as I am terribly out of date. The last time I built my own computer was a little over 10 years ago :/

Now, I am looking for a case to fit the bill of what I am wanting/hoping. I am hoping to get a quiet case, or at least as quiet as possible as this will be a gaming system, but it will also second as a media server so I don't want to hear a jet engine when I am trying to be a good boyfiend and watching some drama with the lady~
I am a big fan of having a side mounted fan to try and help the GPU be as cool as possible.

I have looked at the;
- Antec P280 or P193 V3
- Fractal Design Define R4
- Corsair Obsidian 550D
- Lian Li PC-A70F
- CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced (I know not the most silent)
- NZXT Source 220
- and Thermaltake I honestly have no idea about.
- SilverStone FT-02

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xOct
If you cannot see the link attached this is what I was thinking for the computer hardware;

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: 2x Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card
Sound Card: Creative Labs Recon3D PCIe 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
Case: Silverstone SST-FT02B-W-USB3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (already owned)

Thanks to all in advance~

CA_Steve

Re: Quiet gaming case options~

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi and welcome to SPCR.

Case: If you want a large case, the FT-02 is awesome.
CPU: I'd opt for an i5-3570 over the FX-8350-> outperforms it in games and most other tasks and uses 50W less power at load. If you do a lot of video encoding/Handbrake, then the 8 threads on the FX help out.
Memory: 2x4GB is plenty. Speed: if Intel, DDR3 1600 is fine.
SSD: The Corsair Force GT are kinda meh. If you like Corsair, take a look at the Neutron. New controller, but decent speeds. Alternatives are Samsung 840, 840 Pro, Crucial m4.
Video card: ok.
Sound card: If this is connected to a media center receiver, just use onboard sound's optical out to your receiver. If your PC is directly connecting to powered speakers, try the onboard sound first. If it doesn't cut it, you can add something like one of the Asus Xonar cards.
PSU: Thermaltake 850W, eh? Any chance of selling it back? Even with the FX CPU, your stressed load power is in the ~340W range, and probably ~ 275W while gaming. Lots of nice 500W PSUs that would be pretty quiet while gaming.

edh

Post by edh » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:53 am

Case: Are you able to find the windowless model where you are? This would be marginally better for noise potentially plus cheaper.

PSU: Totally agree with CA_steve. The name Thermaltake does not go well with silent computing. Get a decent quality 400-500W PSU instead.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:37 am

You could also opt for hard drives with another capacity. 1.5 TB seems an odd number when 3 TB drives are easily available. I also agree with CA_Steve regarding the SSD but I would like to the Intel SSD's to that list. Intel SSD's have been known to be very reliable.

Don't forget to look at the Fractal Design Mini. Though an mATX case it features anything you would need. And since the NZXT Source 220 features on your list, you may also consider the Corsair Carbide 200R and the Fractal Design Core 3000. Personally, I don't have any issues with having a quiet system placed in a heavily ventilated case. The noise level all depends on the components IMO.

For the PSU's, the general consensus here at SPCR is that you can't go wrong with any of the following PSU's: Kingwin Lazer and Kingwin Stryker, Seasonic X, and Seasonic G-series. The latter is not as quiet as the rest, but it do cost less.

Kagnos

Post by Kagnos » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:46 am

I will be looking for a windowless model with any of the cases I choose. I am not a teen-midtwenties individual wanting to show off my 1337 computer gear any more. No offense to those that like it that look, I have just grown out of it and want something a little more sleek looking. That is why I am really liking how the R4 looks in my books.

The PSU: while I have been lurking here for a while and am well aware that TT is not a welcomed manufacturer, I did win it and would like to take advantage of the $300 PSU

The RAM: I bumped it up to 32gigs because if trends and experts seem to lean that way, I will be needing to buy that amount in 2 years anyways. I figure I will just buy it now, bite the bullet rather than have to try and find memory that is compatible with what I currently have, or just plain out buying brand new RAM

The SSD: Honestly, I haven't looking into it that much, I just picked one that will fulfill my storage/OS requirements. I will look into it more when the time comes, but thanks for the advise

Thanks again people!
lol, keep the suggestions coming.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:56 am

Kagnos wrote:The RAM: I bumped it up to 32gigs because if trends and experts seem to lean that way, I will be needing to buy that amount in 2 years anyways.
um. no. Unless you do 3D modeling, run a DAW with lots of VSTs, run a PC with many virtual machines, simultaneously edit many high resolution images in Photoshop, or some other high memory usage task. If you play games, watch movies and browse, it's a waste of money and power. Most people could easily get away with 4GB today.