Windows 8 backup issue.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Stephen

Windows 8 backup issue.

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:23 am

I recently upgraded a Dell laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 8, doing a clean install. I then created a system recovery disk. Disk management shows the OS partition, a recovery partition, and an OEM partition.

When I use the Windows 7 restore utility, I can successfully backup files. However, when I try to create a system image, it fails indicating it can't find one of the partitions - though it shows the OS and the recovery one as the ones it will create an image of.

I'm trying to save over a network, btw.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Should I try to delete the recovery partition? Is that safe to do?

Spoon Boy

Re: Windows 8 backup issue.

Post by Spoon Boy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:21 am

Only the Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Enterprise editions can backup to network locations.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:58 am

I have Windows 8 Pro. It backs up files to the network fine. It's the System Image part that isn't working.

mikeom1

Post by mikeom1 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:34 pm

Have you tried delete/removing the following from your target disk since the upgrade?
1. Datafile - MediaID.bin
2. Folder - Windowsimagebackup
3. Computer-name-file - Stephen-PC (or whatever it is named, if the computer name didn't change since upgrade)

You could also try backing up to an external drive and/or alternative network location just to see where the fault may lie :)

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:30 pm

A stab in the dark but would you be getting a System Image Backup error 0x80780119

It seems since windows 7 backup has had problems with OEM partitions, seems not much has changed in windows 8 even the name has stayed the same.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 625f3c9fe7

P.S sorry for not reading properly the first time that its only the system imaging that is causing problems :oops:

mkk

Post by mkk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:41 pm

If the OEM partition is the problem, trying Acronis Trueimage might help. I used the demo version for moving my Windows 7 laptop installation including an OEM partition over to an SSD. It could even resize the partitions in between, and the image file can be reused later if need be.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:48 pm

mikeom1 wrote:Have you tried delete/removing the following from your target disk since the upgrade?
1. Datafile - MediaID.bin
2. Folder - Windowsimagebackup
3. Computer-name-file - Stephen-PC (or whatever it is named, if the computer name didn't change since upgrade)

You could also try backing up to an external drive and/or alternative network location just to see where the fault may lie :)
I tried 1,2, &3 - no luck. I'll try an external drive later and see what happens.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:48 pm

mkk wrote:If the OEM partition is the problem, trying Acronis Trueimage might help. I used the demo version for moving my Windows 7 laptop installation including an OEM partition over to an SSD. It could even resize the partitions in between, and the image file can be reused later if need be.
It appears to be the Recovery partition that is the issue.