Low frequency noise after changing case

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Pbryanw

Low frequency noise after changing case

Post by Pbryanw » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:58 am

Hi,

I've just moved to a new case, from an Antec P183 to a Corsair 550D. Everything's gone fine except I can now hear a very quiet, low frequency noise like a fan slowly revving or case vibration.

It's not a loud noise but because my other components are so quiet (SSDs, low noise fans) it's quite noticeable.

I've disconnected the intake/exhaust fans and they don't seem to be the problem. The same with the CPU fan.

So I'm left with the Graphics Card & PSU. I'm leaning towards the PSU, as I've tried stopping the Graphics Card's fans and I can still hear the noise.

However, I'd love a second opinion before going ahead and getting the PSU RMA'ed.

Thanks, Paul
Last edited by Pbryanw on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pbryanw

Re: Low frequency noise after changing case

Post by Pbryanw » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:19 am

Just an update - I'm going ahead with the PSU RMA as I stopped the fan on the Power Supply and that seemed to stop the noise.

It was just hard pinning down the sound as it was low frequency in nature but, after eliminating everything else, all that was left was the Power Supply.

However, I think I'm going back to Seasonic for my next PSU, instead of another Be Quiet!

Thanks, Paul

Pbryanw

Re: Low frequency noise after changing case

Post by Pbryanw » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:08 pm

In the end, it turned out to be a PCI network card I'd installed. It was too close to the Graphic's Card fans which I think caused the noise I was hearing.

Removed the card and changed back to onboard networking and the noise has gone - and hopefully for good this time!

Sorry for posting this thread when, with a bit more detective work, I should have worked it out for myself earlier.