Need suggestions for Silent MiniITX case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

defaultluser

Need suggestions for Silent MiniITX case

Post by defaultluser » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:55 am

I have the following ready for a build, and just need a case suggestion:

Core i3 3225, 55w
8GB ram
Asus H77 MiniITX
Corsair 120GB SSD

To reference of what I consider "silent," I have an ISK 300-65 fitted with a Noctua 80mm fan like performed in the SPCR review:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article959-page6.html

Noctua on low with an Asus Fanxpert custom fan profile (stock Intel HSF) makes my 35w Core i3 2100t silent even at full load!

But this system I'm building may not necessarily need to be silent at full load, as it will be used for light gaming. But it does need to be silent at idle/video playback, and very quiet at full-load.

I'd also like to keep the cost of case + PSU under $150, and I'd like to have at least 100-125w power delivery (in case I want a dedicated GPU later). Must have an expansion slot. Don't care about optical. I'd like to keep the size down as well (BitFenix Prodigy is wayyyy too big).

Here are some cases I've researched, but I'm not sure about:

ISK 300-150 - same case I already have but with less space. Also, the PSU fan is suspect. Have there been any successful attempts to quiet this noise? I could replace it with a PicoPSU, but that would stretch my budget.

Sugo SG06 - the SPCR review was very encouraging, but they made the note that the PSU overwhelms as the noise source for the case. Is there really a problem with this PSU noise? Are there better low-noise SFX PSUs I could use s a replacement?

Fractal Design Node 304 - very large, and I'm not sure it's wise to stuff a full-sized ATX PSU into that chassis, although it makes finding a quiet model easier (but still expensive). Also, no official SPCR review makes me hesitant.

Any other suggestions that fit my needs that I missed?

Thanks!

tim851

Re: Need suggestions for Silent MiniITX case

Post by tim851 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:51 am

The Node 304 is an awesome case, I think. It follows the internal layout of Silverstone's SG07/08, but can be equipped with a good tower heatsink out of the box. The best PSU would be the Silverstone SST-ST55F-G, the shortest modular PSU out there. But this combination would break your budget.

Apart from this, look at Lian Li's Q08, Q11 and Q18.

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:06 pm

I am seriously considering http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.p ... 17&area=en

I can use my own very quiet PSU.

And good room for a nice Noctua CPU cooler.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:19 am

The Node 304 and the SG08 are very similar. The SG08 is a bit smaller in all directions and has an optical drive. The Node can house a tower-cooler, provides a little front airflow and, most important to me, doesn't charge good money for a substandard PSU. The SG08's non-modular Bronze PSU comes down to 100 Euros or so.

defaultluser

Post by defaultluser » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:56 pm

I went ahead with the Node 304. It's a very large case, but the fans are as silent as-advertised on low (and very quiet on medium)! And there's enough room for a dual-slot graphics card if I feel the need later.

The six hard drive mounts are WAYYY overkill, but I do like the fact that you can remove them. I also like the fact that you can unscrew almost every single panel (very few rivets).

Also, I had an Earthwatts 500w PSU lying around so I decided to give it a go. I originally replaced this PSU because it was noisy under load on my gaming rig, but because the PSU is completely contained within the case I can't hear the noise. So I was able to reuse my old (but still very functional) PSU!

Here's a picture of the build with my messy cables.

jamese

Post by jamese » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:03 am

I'd stick with the ISK300-65 and then get a higher power PicoPSU later if you find you need a dedicated GPU. I'm trying to design and sell a new Mini-ITX case that would also be a good fit, but it's also going to use a PicoPSU, and probably won't be ready for a couple months. :)

ISK300-65
Pros
- Compact (when upright)
- Affordable
- Silent PSU
- Can be made silent fairly easily with better case fan and CPU cooler

Cons
- 65W power supply
Last edited by jamese on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:16 pm

@defaultluser: Very nice to see the picture. Isn't the cable mess a problem when building the computer?

jamese

Post by jamese » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:36 pm

@defaultuser: Now I feel stupid, I totally missed your last post. :oops: The Node 304 looks like it will provide a lot of flexibility.