Idle power comparison on Intel B75 Mini-ITX boards

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

leem

Idle power comparison on Intel B75 Mini-ITX boards

Post by leem » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:57 am

Does anyone have any info on the power draw for the Mini-ITX Intel B75 boards, particularly idle power?

The ones I'm looking at are the ASRock B75M-ITX, Gigabyte GA-B75N and MSI B75IA-E33.

The Gigabyte board is reviewed here and shows very good energy efficiency with low idle power, but sadly the audio quality is poor. I wonder if this is the same with the H77 and Z77 Gigabyte boards?

The MSI board is reviewed here, and is apparently also very energy efficient but difficult to compare the data.

No idea about the ASRock board. Anyone know of a review which compares them all? Or if you own one of these, do you have power data?

:)

HFat

Re: Idle power comparison on Intel B75 Mini-ITX boards

Post by HFat » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:37 pm

Several tests involving multiple brands but with older boards have shown MSI boards to be the most efficient (along with Intel's). I'd bet on the MSI. But of course without seeing the results of updated tests, we don't know for sure that MSI's advantage still exists.

The tests you linked to are next to useless and do NOT show low power consumption numbers. Their measurements are probably unreliable anyway but my point is that with a decent power supply, you can get much lower power consumption.

leem

Re: Idle power comparison on Intel B75 Mini-ITX boards

Post by leem » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:03 am

HFat you are correct!

I found this recent review on a Polish site comparing the three B75 ITX boards. MSI has the most power efficient design and lowest temperatures. The temps (measured by probes on the VRMs) are quite high on the Gigabyte board.

Although the Asrock board performs slightly better across most of the tests, it also draws more power. Audio quality on all three boards is "Good" using the Rightmark test.

Now, to find a way to compare this with the Gigabyte GA-H77N-Wifi reviewed by Anandtech here...

:)