Mini-ITX external power supplies

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

po

Mini-ITX external power supplies

Post by po » Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:18 am

Hi, I'm looking at the 55w mini-itx external power supply here:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=9#p67

Does anyone know of a place in the USA where I can buy this? And I've heard that 55w isn't enough to power a computer with a standard-size CDROM (it needs a laptop one); does anybody know about how much it will be sufficient to power?

Thanks!

davidflanagan

Lex PW002 DC power supply from www.synertrontech.com

Post by davidflanagan » Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:56 pm

External AC adaptors plus DC-DC converters are also sold at the linitx.com store. Unfortunately, they, too, are in the UK and don't ship to the US.

The linitx.com power supply is the Lex PW002 power supply, made by the same company that makes the cool looking "bookshelf" computers for uses as routers, etc.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, the US distributor of theses supplies is

http://www.synertrontech.com

They don't show the DC-DC converter board on their website, but they do sell it.
Contact Sophia Wang, [email protected] to buy. The price is $35, and they sock you with a $20 shipping fee for UPS ground, because, I suppose, they are not a retail outlet.

I bought one. I haven't assembled my computer yet, but I have plugged it in and it has powered an EPIA-M6000 board plus harddrive and CD-ROM (I don't know whether it would be suitable for heavy use of the CD-ROM; I'm just going to use mine to do a Linux install and then disconnect it.)

The power supply does seem to be silent, although I haven't taken it to a quiet room and tried to carefully assess this.

Synertrontech sent me a picture of the power supply kit before selling it to me so I could make sure that it was what I wanted. I've resized the picutre and put it up on the web:

http://www.davidflanagan.com/pw002.jpg

Note that the power connectors for the drives are plugged directly into the DC converter board, rather than coming out of the main motherboard connector pin. Although this is different that what I've seen before, it worked fine for me.

Hope this helps!

David Flanagan

P.S. A word of caution when ordering from synertrontech. First, Sophia doesn't sound like a native English speaker, so telephone communication can be a little tricky. Also,
the goofballs in their shipping department sent me my power supply and then the next day sent me another one (and billed my credit card again). Apparently someone else with the first name David ordered one the day after me, and they sent it to me. I refused the second UPS delivery, and they have promised (although I have not confirmed) that they will credit the second one back to my card.

d_kay

Post by d_kay » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:53 am

way cool!. Have you finished your computer yet?. How does it sound :).

munceyboyjoe

Post by munceyboyjoe » Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:14 pm

:?: Hmm, being an uneducated fool, can anyone possibly explain to me what these dinky little boards do, and if it is possible to use them to power a system with hd and cd rom?? If not, is there any way around using maybe 2 of these things in the same case or something like that to power a small Via system?!

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:37 pm

the silentmaxx psus don't work with the epia board do they?! :lol:

I don't think you can use two at once; email mini-itx.com. I've asked them a few questions and they always answer.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:01 pm

Perhaps you should check out http://www.dc2dc.com
They sell a few of such systems, the most high power beeing 120W.
munceyboyjoe:
can anyone possibly explain to me what these dinky little boards do
You have one external brick to go from wall (AC) to a fixed DC voltage and then a DC2DC board to give you all the different voltages you need inside a computer. Both of these can be made passive fairly easy if the power consumption is rather small.

With a 120W prick PSU you should be able to run a system with single HD and CD rom fine. You should however calculate the usage of your system, so you are sure to have a little margin.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:48 pm

silvervarg, I've never heard of any product that connects two AC/DC converters or two DC/DC regulators but it seems like it would be possible, what would prevent such a thing?

What do you use to calculate your voltages? Heh, not the Intel/AMD charts do you?

lacsap
Friend of SPCR

Post by lacsap » Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:25 am

Try the PowerSimulator at mini-box

http://www.mini-box.com/