Advice and Critique on Gaming build.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thrax

Advice and Critique on Gaming build.

Post by thrax » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:12 am

I feel like it is time to upgrade my current pc, I usually go 3-5 years between building new machines. I have also realized over time that I don't tend to upgrade much at all after I purchase so I want the PC to last well it its current configuration. I do not intend to overclock right away, but I want to keep the possibility if I can keep the noise levels low enough. Below is my current list of parts:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K, $230
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, $200
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866, $100
Video Card: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II, $400
OS Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, $240
Storage Drive: WD Red 2TB, $105
Case: Fractal Design Define R4, $100

The main two pieces I haven't decided on are CPU cooler and Power supply. There are so many options for these two I am not sure where to start. Especially with the power supply, I am not even sure how big of a PSU I would want. This is the first build that I have done where I am willing to spend extra for a quieter PC. Modular PSU is also a definite plus.

For CPU cooler and I am mainly considered about noise. I would rather have it quiet than have the ability to overclock. Not sure what would be best for this case and setup. Also, should I have additional case fans? Or will the fan that come with the case be sufficient for a system like this?

Also, I would be interested in hearing if there is any reason you think I should change something on my current list.

Thanks!

CA_Steve

Re: Advice and Critique on Gaming build.

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:53 am

Welcome to SPCR. Overall - it's a pretty build. There are some components that I'd tweak for gaming.

- CPU: Very few games make use of hyperthreading. You could save $100 and get the i5-3570K and not see a difference. If you spend a lot of time encoding video or use other apps that make use of hyperthreading, then the i7 could be useful.
- Mobo: Are there specific features you like on the Pro version of the mobo? More features -> more power used by the mobo. You could drop down to the - V and still get Fan Xpert2 (allows you to set fan profile to turn off case fans at idle).
- GPU: There's also the MSI Twin Frozr GTX 670. Also, if there is one thing I replace on my builds over time, it's the video card. You should look at GTX670 vs GTX 660 Ti benchmarks to determine if the extra $100 is worth it for your gaming needs/resolution.
- SSD: I like the 840 Pro. Do you need 240GB? While there will be a little speed difference between the 120 and 240, you won't notice it.
- RAM: Unless you do a lot of photo or video editing, more than 8GB is just money spent.

- PSU: Your stressed load power will be <300W and probably 250W or less while gaming. If you overclock the CPU 20% without overvolting, then you raise the load another 16W max (0.2*77W). If you plan to overvolt the CPU, then it can go up significantly. Same thing with the GPU. Here's a couple of PSU suggestions:
- Seasonic G series SSR-550RM (~$90). Modular. 90+ Gold.
- Seasonic X series SS-550KM ($125). Modular. 90+ Gold. Can set the fan for semi-passive mode - only turns on >20% load.
- Kingwin LZP-550 (~$130). Modular. 90+ Platinum. Can set the fan for semi-passive mode - only turns on >20% load.
- Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro series is also nice.

- Cooler: If you don't plan to overvolt the CPU, then consider the Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120M. If you plan to overvolt, then something beefier would be better...like the Thermalright HR-02 Macho

- Case fans: Start with what you get and see if it works for you. You can always add more / swap out fans later. Everyone has a different opinion on what is noisy/quiet. Best bet is to start with these quiet components and then modify as you need to for you personal preference.

thrax

Post by thrax » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:03 am

As far as the CPU goes, I do some video encoding and some work on virtual machines. I can get the 3770k for $230 and the 3570k for $190. So the $40 difference is definitely worth it to me.

Regarding the motherboard, I was just looking for a good stable board with good fan control. I think the main perk of the Pro version was I prefer Intel NIC and I didn't realize the lower boards had fan xpert2.

For the SSD, I currently have an 80gb SSD and was constantly filling it. I would prefer to keep all my applications/games on the SSD do the larger version is worth it to me.

I don't have any plans to overvolt the CPU or GPU. I have been reading a lot of users having coil whine with the Seasonics, are these models that people have had the issue with? Are the Be Quiet! power supplies availble in the US? I wasn't able to find anyone with reasonable prices on them.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:12 pm

I agree with CA_Steve on all of his comments.

I will say that I tend to opt for cooling that is overkill from the beginning. The HR-02 Macho would be a great way to start, mainly because it will give you massive overhead to play with fan RPMs and your noise. It would let you lower the fan speeds way down and get a very quiet machine to start with.

Aside from that, I have poor experience with stock fans. Mostly either very noisy, sometimes cracked, and usually out of balance causing lots of vibrations. There are lots of fans to choose from in many different price ranges, Scythe, Phanteks, NoiseBlocker and Noctuas are typically the brands I have used or am currently using, and I have no problems. Also as I've found with all of the builds I've done over the past few years, less is more when it comes to fans.

From my experience, I would go for the SeaSonic G series that was recommended, and if you opt to go down to a GTX 660TI, the MSI TwinFrozr is great, as are the Asus DirectCU and Gigabyte Windforce OC models.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:57 pm

thrax wrote:I have been reading a lot of users having coil whine with the Seasonics, are these models that people have had the issue with? Are the Be Quiet! power supplies availble in the US? I wasn't able to find anyone with reasonable prices on them.
Didn't know if you were in the US or elsewhere. Be Quiet! is mostly available in the EU. Regarding Seasonic and coil whine, it's a hit or miss issue. You might see a lot of posts in this forum due to the nature of this forum. Then again, they get excellent feedback on Amazon and Newegg. I've had a couple of Seasonic PSUs (and currently have the X 560). None have whined. If you read the latest review, there's more insight on the topic.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:58 pm

There's also the Kingwin Stryker STR-500.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Fanless_P ... one_ST50NF

Regarding the CPU cooler you should also consider a cooler from Noctua though I don't have a particular one in mind.