I hope you can help with this
I'm looking for a completely silent PC (no moving parts) and hope one or more of you here may be able to guide me as to what to look for. I intend to put it together and assemble it myself.
My use for the PC is audio recording which means that it also has to be very reliable in use (no audio streaming drop-outs using USB or PCI bus), yet it needs not be the fastest computer around.
Besides complete silence I would say that my requirements are these:
- small size and weight. I can build the cabinet myself including an external processor heatsink but I would like a tip for a “heat conducting bridge” that can be used from the top of the processor to the heatsink.
- Intel processor. I am considering an I5 at ~ 2.6 GHz. Criteria are low power consumption and that it is an Intel processor.
- overall very low power consumption also when loaded at ~ 50%
- should work with 32/64 bit win7/win 8, & new softwares. Driver support should be expected to be very good also in the years to come (Intel or Asus motherboards?)
- USB 2.0 and (just one) USB 3.0 ports
- provisions for gigabit ethernet+++ & PCIe
- Up to 16 GB RAM
- fast and reliable SSD harddisk ~ 128 GB
- a completely silent and small power supply. If it e.g. can be an external PSU that would be preferred but not necessary.
- the graphics card matters less as long as it doesn't "slow down" the computer (I never play games). HDMI output is desired.
- an onboard audio card is fine (I'll mainly use external audio devices).
I don't need Wi-fi, bluetooth or some of the other features around. What I really seek is a quite fast and reliable combination of a very well-working motherboard, processor, RAM, SSD HDD, PSU - and reasonably ok graphics & audio cards (onboard).
I'd also appreciate a tip for a ~10" portable monitor to be used with this PC.
Alternatively, it may be a laptop but since it needs be completely silent and have some speed I haven't been able to find such a model ...
I'll appreciate any tips you may be able to give.