PC for programming and occasional gaming. Money efficient.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LUKEEEE

PC for programming and occasional gaming. Money efficient.

Post by LUKEEEE » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:10 am

First hello. I read some really nice articles and were realllly helpful.

So Im building pc for programming use and occasional gaming. I want to be silent but not going to extremes. What I need is:

- graphic card where I can plug in 2 monitors 1920x1080. 2500x1900 resolution might be a near future upgrade. was thinking about AMD HD 7750 SILENT (HD7750-DCSL-1GD5)
- processor: Im pretty sure processor Intel Core i5 3350P BOX 3.1GHz is best buy concerning processor. Dont need integrated graphic card and I cant make use for hyper-threading
- 2 x 4 gb 1600 mhz ram is enough for me.
- motherboard Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H, S1155 looks ok. Not sure about that.
- I already own ssd
- corsair cases looks solid but its a little pricy
- fanless psu. I calculated power consumption below 400W but Im not certain about this.
- cpu and case fans. Im lost here

My budged is 650e. 800 tops.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Re: PC for programming and occasional gaming. Money efficien

Post by kuzzia » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:24 am

GPU: I don't know of any screens with a 2560x1900 solution. Do you mean 2560x1440? or 2560x1600? Look for a passively cooled radeon 7750. What games do you intend to play and at what resolution and graphical settings?

Mobo: I prefer ASUS boards because of their windows application, FanXpert. It's a great, simple application that'll allow you to easily control the CPU fan and the case fans (though the number of case fans supported is usually limited).

Case: Since you've looked at the Corsair cases I assume that you are looking at ATX cases. In that case, have a look at the following cases:
NZXT Source 210 Elite
NZXT Source 220
Fractal Design R4
Fractal Design Arc Midi
Fractal Design Core 3000

You could also consider a m-ATX system. In which case, you could look for the Silverstone Temjin TJ08-e and the Silverstone Precision PS07.

PSU: 400 W is definitely enough for a i5 3350p and a Radeon 7750. Since you want a fanless PSU, have a look at the Seasonic X400. It can easily handle the CPU and GPU mentioned. If you're ok with a "fanned" PSU then have a look at the Seasonic G360 which runs very quietly. It's much cheaper and even earned an Editor's Choice here at SPCR.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1297-page5.html

The only drawback is that it isn't modular.

CPU cooler: Your CPU only has a TDP at 69 W. That's not much. Must people would probably recommend a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO + a good PWM fan. But you could save some money by going with a Scythe Katana 3. Though it doesn't have the same cooling performance as the Hyper 212 EVO, it can easily cope with the 3350p quietly. Simple have a look at this review where the temperature of the 95 W CPU used only rises 26 C when the fan is run at an inaudible speed.

edh

Post by edh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:15 pm

Agree that MicroATX should be considered, this should enable a little cost saving too. Also a passive graphics card is definitely a bonus - a fan cooled graphics card would be louder than any decent PSU so the sound floor of the system would almost certainly be the graphics card fan.

Putting an Accelero S1 Plus on a suitable graphics card might be another option for the passive graphics card.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:12 pm

You might consider going with a slightly more costly processor with integrated graphics (Intel HD 4000), depending on the games you intend to play, and skip the discrete graphics card. 2560x1440 would also not be possible then, but you could add a discrete graphics card later.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:22 am

edh wrote:Agree that MicroATX should be considered, this should enable a little cost saving too.
And there's a way bigger range of cool mATX cases out there that fit onto and under any desk.

As for gaming. Some 27" screens interpolate 1080p very well, so you might not even need that powerful of a graphics card.

LUKEEEE

Post by LUKEEEE » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Thank you for kind responses.

I think I will go with mATX as you have suggested and some nice vents. About graphic card, I feel like integrated is not enough. Had a bad experience where dual monitors really warmed up my card. Will post pictures and cost when computer is ready, this could take some time.

What GLAN means on mobo?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 am

Integrated graphics is in the CPU these days, works quite well but with Intel HD graphics you are limited to single link DVI, so resolutions above 1920x1200 will not work. Integrated might not be enough performance wise though, it wasn't for me. :)
LUKEEEE wrote:What GLAN means on mobo?
Huh?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:23 am

Gigabyte LAN.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Vicotnik wrote:Integrated graphics is in the CPU these days, works quite well but with Intel HD graphics you are limited to single link DVI, so resolutions above 1920x1200 will not work. Integrated might not be enough performance wise though, it wasn't for me. :)
Don't some of the Intel boards feature a display port? Either way, for casual gaming you'd naturally want a separate graphics card. Depending on your programming ambitions you might want to consider nVidia over AMD for Linux driver capability.