new build soon

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Pappnaas

Re: new build soon

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:49 am

toronado455 wrote: I might try adding a vinyl tile (as SPCR member Belmonte mentioned doing in another thread), so that would only add a few mm and might work.
I can't see why you would do this. We pick all components with regard to quietness, so i wouldn't expect the need to add dampening materials to begin with.

Doesn't adding vinyl tiles only reduce side panel vibrations/sound amplifications?

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:40 am

kuzzia wrote:I personally consider anything above 5 mm as a luxury, so there's really nothing to worry about. The Precision PS-07 design was meant for a CPU tower cooler (notice the straight air flow made by the lower front fan and the rear fan)
Right, OK. Do you think I should install a rear fan? I will have two front fans running for positive pressure and to blow air over the hard drives (which I will probably suspend there).
Last edited by toronado455 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:46 am

Pappnaas wrote:
toronado455 wrote: I might try adding a vinyl tile (as SPCR member Belmonte mentioned doing in another thread), so that would only add a few mm and might work.
I can't see why you would do this. We pick all components with regard to quietness, so i wouldn't expect the need to add dampening materials to begin with.
Right. I will certainly try it without adding anything to the side panel first. I'd prefer to leave it "stock" anyway. But if the panel seems like it is resonating, then I will try something to stop that.
Pappnaas wrote:Doesn't adding vinyl tiles only reduce side panel vibrations/sound amplifications?
I don't know, but I imagine it would dampen vibrations and increase the weight/thickness of the side panel.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:43 am

toronado455 wrote:Right, OK. Do you think I should install a rear fan? I will have two front fans running for positive pressure and to blow air over the hard drives (which I will probably suspend there).
Rear fan? Definitly a yes.

Some things i picked up about those cases (although i don't have any links/sources, been a while since):

- some build a duct from the upper fan to the gpu area
- most said adding a rear fan helped with CPU/MoBo temps
- some left the empty HDD case inside, claiming better airflow with 180er fan
- if you use a GPU place the PSU with the fan facing down
- if possible remove the top slot cover(s) for more GPU airstream

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks Pappnaas.
I'm not using a video card for this build, iGPU only. But I may consider adding a rear fan anyway to help with the CPU and logicboard heat issues. The thing about this case is the logicboard is inverted, so the rear fan placement is quite low. I might want to allow the heat to escape naturally out the rear (which is well ventilated) rather than directing it in a straight path with a fan. Unless I think that too much heat is going up and warming the bottom of the PSU, in which case the low rear fan could help with that.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:52 am

Pappnaas wrote:Rear fan? Definitly a yes.
Also, I plan to use two Nexus D12SL in the front. Can I use a third Nexus D12SL in the back as an exhaust or should I get a different kind of fan for the exhaust?

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:49 pm

I'm thinking about getting 4-pin fans instead. But I have 3 case fans and only 2 chassis fan headers (not including the CPU fan header).

Is it safe to run two fans off of one fan header? Can I use a splitter that connects directly to the board for power (but only connects one of the two fan's RPM sensor wires to the header) like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812718001
Or is it better to use the type that uses a 4-pin molex for power like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812119248

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:24 pm

toronado455 wrote:I'm thinking about getting 4-pin fans instead. But I have 3 case fans and only 2 chassis fan headers (not including the CPU fan header).

Is it safe to run two fans off of one fan header? Can I use a splitter that connects directly to the board for power (but only connects one of the two fan's RPM sensor wires to the header) like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812718001
Or is it better to use the type that uses a 4-pin molex for power like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812119248
I've had no issues with running two fans from a motherboard fan header using a splitter. I've even had a 12-to-7 V resistor between the header and the splitter:
Header - resistor - splitter - two fans.
The only issue with this setup was the fan speed reading which would sometimes read 10,000 rpm. But the fans were very stable.
toronado455 wrote:
Pappnaas wrote:Rear fan? Definitly a yes.
Also, I plan to use two Nexus D12SL in the front. Can I use a third Nexus D12SL in the back as an exhaust or should I get a different kind of fan for the exhaust?
Of course you can use the Nexus in the back, too. But shouldn't you give the stock fans a fair chance?

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:11 pm

kuzzia wrote:I've had no issues with running two fans from a motherboard fan header using a splitter. I've even had a 12-to-7 V resistor between the header and the splitter:
The only issue with this setup was the fan speed reading which would sometimes read 10,000 rpm. But the fans were very stable.
Thanks. Regarding the faulty RPM reading, did you have RPM sensors from two fans feeding into the header? My understanding is that the header doesn't support multiple sensors (daisy chained).
kuzzia wrote:Of course you can use the Nexus in the back, too. But shouldn't you give the stock fans a fair chance?
I've already removed the stock fans which are 3-pin fans. I've decided to use 4-pin fans instead. I'd like to get white fans to match the case. The GELID FN-PX12-15 fans looked like an interesting option until I read the remarks about the fan having tonal characteristics in the SPCR review of the cooler that uses it.

If there is no good white 4-pin fan, then I'll just get the Scythe PWM 4-pin fans.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:30 am

toronado455 wrote:
kuzzia wrote:I've had no issues with running two fans from a motherboard fan header using a splitter. I've even had a 12-to-7 V resistor between the header and the splitter:
Thanks. Regarding the faulty RPM reading, did you have RPM sensors from two fans feeding into the header? My understanding is that the header doesn't support multiple sensors (daisy chained).
Yes I had.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:35 am

Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 PWM have white blades. And as sebrad (?) has pointed out, they come in cheap and if you happen to find a quiet sample it will really do the work as a case fan. And of course, softmounted with those rubber sticks.

Anyway, I'd start with the intakes running at about 500 rpm and the exhaust at around 800 rpm. Then watch temps and change rpm as needed. I might even start with 1 intake only, simply because we all learned here, that what the case company does as factory setup mustn't necessarily be the spcr way.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Pappnaas wrote:Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 PWM have white blades. And as sebrad (?) has pointed out, they come in cheap and if you happen to find a quiet sample it will really do the work as a case fan. And of course, softmounted with those rubber sticks.
Thanks. I believe SebRad likes them, but Das_Saunamies pointed out some weakness that don't thrill me. The flimsy frames, thin wires, etc. I don't care about white blades enough to get those. I'll just get the Scythe fans.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Filters removed for cleaning today.

Just wanted to post an update and list what the final ingredients ended up being for this build:
  • CPU/GPU: Intel i3-3225 with HD 4000 integrated graphics
    CPU Cooler: Scythe SCMG-3100 Mugen 3 Rev. B
    Logicboard: GIGABYTE GA-H77M-D3H mATX
    RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) KVR16N11K2/16 DDR3 1600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128GB SATA III
    HDD: Samsung HD502HI 500GB
    PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 400W
    Case: Silverstone SST-PS07W
    Fans: 3x Scythe PWM (4-pin) 120mm
SSD on bottom and HDD suspended when I first put this system together:

This is the current arrangement:

I managed to find two holes on the side of the 5.25" bays which lined up with the SSD mounting holes. The SSD is light as a feather, so no problem holding it using two screws. The reason I didn't leave it in the bottom mount under the HDD (though it could have fit no problem) was for heat and airflow reasons around the HDD.

My original plan to use both of my HD502HI drives in this build didn't work out because I decided this case is not large enough for them. In fact I am planning on moving the one HD502HI into a different machine and getting a 2.5" HDD instead - either in its place in that lower mini-cage (using 3.5" to 2.5" adapters), or using the direct mount on the case floor (where the SSD used to be).

Any suggestions on a 2.5" HDD?

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:19 pm

On my TJ08-E im using the floor, below the first hdd slot, there is enough space for the ssd and the hdd. I have a Crucial M4 + Samsung 500gb mechancial, it will also look cleaner as the cables are at the bottom.

Btw it look great in white, im building a PC on PS07 atm for a friend, and i also changed the fans for 2x Scythe Kama Flex PWM + Slipstream PWM (the one that came with the mugen3), havent started it yet.... probably tomorrow.

Im intersted on your build, specially on how the gigabyte handles the pwm fans, maybe you can share your experience.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:30 pm

2.5" HDD: WD Scorpio Blue.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:41 am

@toronado455: What a nice build. And the pictures are very good as well.

What do you feel about the components in general? How quiet is the system? And how was it to build in that case?

We want to hear it all :)

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:59 am

Abula wrote:Im intersted on your build, specially on how the gigabyte handles the pwm fans, maybe you can share your experience.
Well, I don't have that much knowledge about it. The BIOS gives the options of "Normal, Silent, Manual, Disabled" mode for each PWM fan header. If you select "Manual" you can manually tweek the PWM slope settings in the BIOS. I don't know enough about it to mess with it. I just left them on the default setting of "Normal" and it is quiet enough for me.

Here's a screen shot from SpeedFan (default settings). I haven't touched anything in SpeedFan either. One thing that I've noticed is the CPU core temps in SpeedFan fluctuate between about 29 and 35 at idle. I'm not used to seeing fluctuations like that, so I don't know if there is a problem or not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:23 am

CA_Steve wrote:2.5" HDD: WD Scorpio Blue.
Thank you.

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:41 am

toronado455 wrote:I got the Define Mini, but wasn't happy with it, so I returned it and got the PS07 which I like better. I realize some folks will consider that a step down, but I like this Silverstone better.
Would you mind letting us know what you didn't like about the Define Mini? I'm thinking of doing my Haswell build in one of those and would love to know if there's something I should be aware of.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:22 pm

Scrooge wrote:
toronado455 wrote:I got the Define Mini, but wasn't happy with it, so I returned it and got the PS07 which I like better. I realize some folks will consider that a step down, but I like this Silverstone better.
Would you mind letting us know what you didn't like about the Define Mini? I'm thinking of doing my Haswell build in one of those and would love to know if there's something I should be aware of.
This is really just a personal preference issue more than anything. I only had the Define Mini for a few days before packing it up and returning it, so I don't remember much. It might have just been the unit that was shipped to me, but I felt that quality control was lacking. The sound damping material wasn't glued on properly. And there was something rattling around when I unpacked it - a screw had fallen out somewhere. I also like the smoother finish on the Silverstone and I probably will never buy another case with pre-installed damping material on the side panels. The little bit of damping material used in the Silverstone drive cages is well made.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:17 pm

kuzzia wrote:@toronado455: What a nice build. And the pictures are very good as well.

What do you feel about the components in general? How quiet is the system? And how was it to build in that case?

We want to hear it all :)
Thanks. I only used my cell phone camera, so maybe some day I'll take some better shots with my real camera.

I'm generally happy with it. The components are all pretty good except that I wasn't happy with the mounting system on the Mugen 3. Installing it stresses the metal backplate to the point of bending the metal.

System is very quiet. Usually below ambient noise level. I can hear a faint whirring/air sound when it is very quiet in my environment. Very happy with the lack of noise. Haven't tried the "silent mode" on the BIOS yet because I don't really need it.

Only noise that bothers me a bit is the 3.5" HDD after moving it to the screwed-in position in the lower part of the case. While it was suspended, I didn't hear any sounds at all from it. Now I can hear an occasional click clack and a funny "meow" sound on spin up when the system boots. I've disabled hard drive spin-down in Windows, so that helped. But basically it is usually inaudible with absolutely no whine of any kind. Great drive. I plan on putting it into a different system in a few months with a larger case where I can suspend it (and also a second identical unit for RAID 1).

I haven't decided how to mount the 2.5" I'll be getting to replace it. I wonder if I can get away with using the SSD mount on the case floor with just some sort of improvised isolation material where the screws attach. Otherwise I'll need to use the lower mini cage and 3.5" adapters.

The case is well-made, and very lightweight. So it is easy to work with in that respect. My personal preference was to remove the drive cages. I'm using the small lower cage now, but would rather not. It just makes the case two cramped to have big drives in it for my taste. Without the 3.5" drives it's perfect. In fact, for a while I had only the SSD and that was very nice. But I need at least one data drive in it.

Only hardware problem with the case is the top panel is attached with tiny little screws (internal - not visible from outside) which are difficult to deal with and can strip threads easily.

The white PSU matches the case nicely.

There are problems with the HD4000 when using extended desktop mode with dual monitors - occasional flickering and jumping image. I'm hoping a driver update will fix it.
I haven't had much luck with Windows 8 on this system (boot loops, failed updates, horrible fonts, etc), so staying with Windows 7 for now, which I quite like.

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:18 pm

I really WANT to like the PS07... but the front is just so busy, without even any rhyme or reason to it; just a mess of lines every which way.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:23 pm

CA_Steve wrote:2.5" HDD: WD Scorpio Blue.
After reading about this (both here and NewEgg comments), I'm not sure I want a drive that is going to be parking and spinning down so frequently.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:56 pm

Personally i think you should use a 3.5hdd on the bottom slot and 2.5 on the bottom floor, im using mine on my TJ08-E like that and similar samsung, and it idles at 30C and never ever reaches 40C, and in my TJ08-E it doesnt direct air inside the cage like ps07, its just the air flow of the case, really its fine, the hdd have been there for almost 2 years now no issues.

If you still feel you want to go with 2.5, SPCR did a review some time ago and i personally bought 4 of those hdd (1 failed in 1 month, the other 3 still running fine), More 500GB notebook drives: Seagate 7200.4 & Hitachi 5K500.B, got the silver award, really decent for storage. The ones that i bought were discontinued, they usually change the sku with new packing, etc, but it seems they replace it with HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 500GB 5400RPM SATA 3.0Gbps 8MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (0S02857)

Worth mentioning that hitachi released their 500gb platters 2.5 drives, HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200RPM SATA II 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive, not sure how it is noise wise, but its been getting really good user reviews.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Can I get away with a Scorpio Black 2.5" (7200 RPM) in this system, or is there going to be idle whine?

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:52 pm

I got the 2.5" WD Blue and moved some things around.
I put the two SSDs up in the ODD area to make room for the WD HDD in the bottom mount spot (the only actual 2.5" drive mount in the case).
I hope it's OK to have the HDD mounted this way. I like this better than the previous arrangement using the 3.5" drive.
I made some isolation washers out of the video card cushion pad thingy that Silverstone supplies with the case.
I just cut some of it up into four small pieces with holes in the center and used long screws. Kinda ghetto, but I think it might work.
Also, it raises it up a tad to give some better air flow under it.