Near silent P280 White Window

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Heptoilabas

Near silent P280 White Window

Post by Heptoilabas » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:53 am

Hello !

Long time reader but never posted here, so here I am :)

I've had a P182 for years but lately I wanted to change mainly because the case is quite annoying to work with when it comes to cable management, and I wanted more space when I have to put my hands in there.
The P280 looked perfect for my needs and now it's available in white in France I decided to give it a shot, knowing that anyway I'd have to do some adjustments to keep it silent (the top is subject to vibrations, there would be a chance to have graphic card fans to resonate in the case etc...).

Specs :

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4ghz cooled by a Prolimatech Megahalems
Asus P8Z77-V
32Gb of Kingston Beast 1866Mhz
Sapphire 7950 DualX
Seasonic X650
SSD Samsung 830 128Gb
SSD Intel Postville X25-M 80Gb
HDD WD Green 1Tb EARS
HDD WD Velociraptor 150Gb
Asus Xonar D1
4x Nexus RealSilent 120

And for the graphic card after the change:
2x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2
Accelero S1 rev A

Anyway, here is the pic of my good old P182 before the swap :

I removed the 2 fans at the top and covered the hole with 2 layers of foam, because having fans there would be totally unacceptable (noise and especially vibrations since that part is unusually thin):

Now that's done let's put the parts together :

The mess :

Supposed to be done :

At this point I thought the PC was done, needless to say that you aren't really ever done because as soon as I turned it on I heard some kind of hummming which was coming from vibrations, at first I suspected the HDDs transferring vibrations to the case but it turned out that it was the graphic card fans (it wasn't really noisy at idle but that's the kind of noise I hate the most so it had to go, when I was playing the noise was just horrible, vibrations + pulsating noise).
I ordered 2x Be quiet silent wings 2 and a copper adaptator that would make my Accelero S1 compatible with the 7950 and here it what the PC looks like few days later :

All the vibrations are gone now and the only noise left comes from the HDD, which I actually only hear when I put my hears right next to the front fans, thanks to the front door that's actually does quite a good job.

That's it ! Questions and comments are welcomed :)

kellym2

Re: Near silent P280 White Window

Post by kellym2 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:50 pm

Nice looking rig, thanks for posting. I have the original P280 without the window and I have also covered the top fan mounts with foam.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Nice build !

mgkrp

Post by mgkrp » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:06 pm

Awesome build. Just a questions, where did you get that copper adapter?

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:43 pm

Really nice build, congratz.

Btw just wondering i see you are using Asus P8Z77-V, are you using FanXpert2 to control the Nexus 3pin fans?

Heptoilabas

Post by Heptoilabas » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:24 am

@mgkrp : I'm using this : http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/vga-blo ... apter.html.

@Abula : I have a Zalman MFC1 fan controller and I leave all the fans running at about 7v, the parts aren't really power hungry so it doesn't get too hot anyway :)

Thanks all !