Smart fan controller for UPS

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mgiammarco

Smart fan controller for UPS

Post by mgiammarco » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Hello,
I have a beautiful (but noisy) online Xanto 1000 UPS.

I am replacing his fan with a Noctua NF-r8.
I would like to also add a thermal controller to further reduce noise.
It has to be analog (not PWM) with a thermistor I suppose.
I am searching with google but I find nothing: can you lend me an hand?

Thanks in advance,
Mario

Pappnaas

Re: Smart fan controller for UPS

Post by Pappnaas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:53 pm

You are sure that you will not burn your place?
Because it seems like that fan is moving some air out of the usv. If you drastically reduce the cooling, you could run into serious thermal problems. Worst case could be the overheating usv is causing a fire. So, fan swapping yes but keep up abreaonable amount of cooling functionality.

mgiammarco

Post by mgiammarco » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:58 pm

Pappnaas wrote:You are sure that you will not burn your place?
Because it seems like that fan is moving some air out of the usv. If you drastically reduce the cooling, you could run into serious thermal problems. Worst case could be the overheating usv is causing a fire. So, fan swapping yes but keep up abreaonable amount of cooling functionality.
Online Xanto upses have temperature alarm fan and shutdown.
Anyway my idea is to put not a slow fan but a "fast" silent fan (with CFM comparable to original one) and use temperature sensor to lower RPM a bit.

Thanks,
Mario

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:58 am

Little late but just in case others are choosing UPS:
On-line UPS needs cooling all the time because both battery charger and inverter are operating always and hence in need of cooling.
So when caring about noise line-interactive UPS is better choise.

Murkyl

Post by Murkyl » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:50 am

Mario,

I am in the same situation as yourself. I have a CyberPower OL1000RTXL2U which is an online pure sine wave output UPS. For my purposes a line interactive will not work since I am using the UPS to convert from the output of a step down transformer which provides me 120V@50 Hz to the US standard of 120V@60 Hz. The fan that comes with the CyberPower is made by NSTECH and is a model PSAD18025BH (Data sheet here: http://www.nstech.wtools.com.tw/PDF/ns26_PS8025.pdf). If you look at the data sheet it is horrendously loud and in real life it is loud as well. For it's normal intended purpose, which is to sit in a data center rack, this noise level is acceptable, but sitting in front of my home theater, it's unacceptable. I opened up the UPS and it's a simple 3 wire fan with the third wire being the RD (rotor lock) signal.

I've been looking around for something that can push roughly the same air but at a much lower noise level. I really like the Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 fan (26 CFM @ 14.5 dbA) but that is much lower than the 69.2 CFM rating on the NSTECH.

I think I can get away with just 40-45 CFM since I don't plan on running the UPS past 50% load.

Anyone have any suggestions on higher CFM fans that still provide a low noise rating (<= 24 dBA?