Looking for quiet ATI card (asus gtx 670 noise lvl)

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

karkee

Looking for quiet ATI card (asus gtx 670 noise lvl)

Post by karkee » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:41 am

Hello,

For gaming reasons I want to switch to ATI, I am tired of Nvidia bullcrap drivers.

I am looking for an equal performance card like the GTX670/660Ti, but with the same noise lvls. I am really happy with the noise lvls of my Asus GTX670.

Is there anyone who can recommend me one?

boost

Re: Looking for quiet ATI card (asus gtx 670 noise lvl)

Post by boost » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:37 pm

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 OC WindForce 3 matches Asus 670 CU II sound levels. Performance level is between 660TI and 670.
I have a 670 and haven't had a problem with the drivers so far.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Drivers are game dependent. Some games work great with brand green, others work better with brand red. <shrug> I hope you are looking at benchmarks for your specific games before jumping ship. :)

edh

Post by edh » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:16 am

I would have to say that NVIDIA do manage better long term driver support than AMD. They don't tend to kill off support for a series of cards for much longer. Also if you want OpenGL and support under something other than Windows then NVIDIA is the only real choice - fglrx is a bad driver.

claes

Post by claes » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:46 pm

edh wrote:I would have to say that NVIDIA do manage better long term driver support than AMD. They don't tend to kill off support for a series of cards for much longer. Also if you want OpenGL and support under something other than Windows then NVIDIA is the only real choice - fglrx is a bad driver.
This. Generally on the overclocking/gaming boards I frequent everyone is complaining about how bad AMD drivers are and how they're going green next time... I personally feel this way as well, but I haven't owned an AMD card since the 5850. Bad luck maybe?

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:03 am

edh wrote:I would have to say that NVIDIA do manage better long term driver support than AMD. They don't tend to kill off support for a series of cards for much longer. Also if you want OpenGL and support under something other than Windows then NVIDIA is the only real choice - fglrx is a bad driver.
This will hopefully change now that Steam has arrived in the Linux world.