Better, Quieter cooler for the Titan from Asus, MSI or Giga?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

boe

Better, Quieter cooler for the Titan from Asus, MSI or Giga?

Post by boe » Sat May 11, 2013 6:16 pm

Hello,

I'm probably going to end up with a 780 GTX depending on their price and performance. I've had bad luck adding my own coolers to video cards in the past but excellent luck with quieter than stock coolers already on board from manufacturers such as MSI, Gigabyte and Asus. Does anyone know if there is going to be modified Titan card coming in the near future? It looks like the 780's have that same NVidia cooling unit as the Titan.

Abula

Re: Better, Quieter cooler for the Titan from Asus, MSI or G

Post by Abula » Sat May 11, 2013 6:22 pm

Im also was kinda waiting for TITAN DirectCU II, usually 2 or 3 months after release the custom coolers start to come up, but i kinda think that the price is so high, that they wont sell much to invest into developing or adapting their custom cooler design... who knows. But i do hope the GTX 780 has some custom cooling.

claes

Post by claes » Sun May 12, 2013 1:16 pm

I've heard gigabyte might be releasing a custom Titan but nvidia has been pretty insistent on reference designs only since launch. The 780 will probably have aftermarket options though.

boe

Post by boe » Sun May 12, 2013 2:19 pm

claes wrote:I've heard gigabyte might be releasing a custom Titan but nvidia has been pretty insistent on reference designs only since launch. The 780 will probably have aftermarket options though.
Thanks! Hopefully we'll see something from ASUS and MSI as well. I have a gigabyte and and MSI now. Both cards are quieter under load than the Titan is idle. I love my gigabyte but it takes 3 slots if I ever hope to sli my next card it will have to be two slots only.

boe

Post by boe » Mon May 13, 2013 8:30 am

I did a search and found this as well (not sure if it takes 2 slots or 3). I don't care about over clocking, I just want reliable and really quiet compared to the default titan. I do really want a 2 slot solution.

I've never heard of this brand so I don't know if this is any good. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Inno3D ... 21501.html

claes

Post by claes » Thu May 16, 2013 9:20 am

I think Inno3D is EU only? I've always seen previews of interesting heatsinks from them but have never seen one for sale.

That cooler is actually publicly available: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... id&x=0&y=0

The only problem in my mind is the pump noise, as even the most modern AIOs produce to much buzz/whine for SPCR quiet standards. That said, I have modded two similar units to fit my SLI solution and while it's noisier at idle it is wayyyy quieter at load. I am not please personally, but many others are, so if the shoe fits!

See this thread for more info on cooling GPUs with all-in-one liquid solutions.

boe

Post by boe » Thu May 16, 2013 12:13 pm

claes wrote:I think Inno3D is EU only? I've always seen previews of interesting heatsinks from them but have never seen one for sale.

That cooler is actually publicly available: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... id&x=0&y=0

The only problem in my mind is the pump noise, as even the most modern AIOs produce to much buzz/whine for SPCR quiet standards. That said, I have modded two similar units to fit my SLI solution and while it's noisier at idle it is wayyyy quieter at load. I am not please personally, but many others are, so if the shoe fits!

See this thread for more info on cooling GPUs with all-in-one liquid solutions.
I'll admit, I've never done liquid before but I think my next system will probably be liquid for both video and processor. I'll build after the next 8 core CPU comes out - haswell isn't dazzling me. My current system has a scythe ninja and it is pretty good but I'm always looking for better.
Last edited by boe on Thu May 16, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu May 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Prolimatech has a cooler that fits the GTX TITAN, MK-26 , but its a 3 slot cooler maybe 4 with 25mm width fans, this is what I'm probably going to go if gtx780 sucks, since no manufacturer is releasing custom coolers for it.

boe

Post by boe » Fri May 24, 2013 12:06 pm

OK the DirectCU will be presented at the Taipei show in about a week or 2. In the mean time there are some overclocked ones such as the Windforce and EVGA that have performance above the stock 780 but at about the same price, lower temp and about the same sound level.

claes

Post by claes » Thu May 30, 2013 12:51 pm

Just FYI, according to techpowerup overclocke'd 780s are beating the Titan and already include non-reference coolers - might look there instead.

boe

Post by boe » Thu May 30, 2013 1:27 pm

claes wrote:Just FYI, according to techpowerup overclocke'd 780s are beating the Titan and already include non-reference coolers - might look there instead.
Yep, That is why I'm waiting for the directCU as it will probably be overclocked like the Directcu 770

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu May 30, 2013 1:43 pm

Idk yet what asus is going to do, in the 680/670 there were triple slots and dual slots, both were reviewed by scpr and got editor choice. So if asus releases a triple slot gtx 780 directcuII ill go with that, else idk for sure but I might go msi lightning, or go for evga + the backplate + prolimateck mk26.

boe

Post by boe » Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 pm

You can see reviews of the 770GTX double slot directCU on youtube as of today. No guarantees the 780 will be a triple slot but I'd bet it is nearly the same as the double slot 770 GTX directxctu. There are two unboxing videos and triple SLI video.