Drive-bay free case (smaller more efficient, quieter)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

idbash

Drive-bay free case (smaller more efficient, quieter)

Post by idbash » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:18 am

So I am putting final touches on my current build, and I searched high and low at no avail for a perfect case for the modern building. I am using a Revodrive for my drive, and I don't believe any machine needs internal optical drives any longer and everyone should buy one usb Blu-Ray or DVD drive that they can then share among all their computers. I ended up using the Antec SOLO II due to the simple nature of the box which leads to the best spacial usage available.

All that to say, I was wondering if anyone knew of a case that was thick as the SOLO II that did not have any 5.25 or 3.5 bays as they are useless to SSD users, and make cases unnecessarily large meaning more airflow is needed to achieve a healthy static pressure, and maybe have a single 2.5" mounting spot on the bottom or top of the case thus making the case 5 inches shallower...

Another relatively related thought is to put the same level of hooding on the back as we use on the front with the extra space to achieve silence, and inset the PSU the way we used to on old servers so the noise is further removed from audible range....

Abula

Re: Drive-bay free case (smaller more efficient, quieter)

Post by Abula » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:04 am

idbash wrote:So I am putting final touches on my current build, and I searched high and low at no avail for a perfect case for the modern building. I am using a Revodrive for my drive, and I don't believe any machine needs internal optical drives any longer and everyone should buy one usb Blu-Ray or DVD drive that they can then share among all their computers. I ended up using the Antec SOLO II due to the simple nature of the box which leads to the best spacial usage available.

All that to say, I was wondering if anyone knew of a case that was thick as the SOLO II that did not have any 5.25 or 3.5 bays as they are useless to SSD users, and make cases unnecessarily large meaning more airflow is needed to achieve a healthy static pressure, and maybe have a single 2.5" mounting spot on the bottom or top of the case thus making the case 5 inches shallower...

Another relatively related thought is to put the same level of hooding on the back as we use on the front with the extra space to achieve silence, and inset the PSU the way we used to on old servers so the noise is further removed from audible range....
While i do agree to some point on your argument on 5.25 slots not being as useful... it still has uses more than just optical drives, like Fan Controllers, Water reservoirs, installing multiple hdds on 2 or 3 5.25 slots, even for suspending hdds, etc. I do agree that less are needed, and probably most can live without, but would be too expensive to cave into both market segments, so less is fine like solo II has 2 and the R4 also same two.

Now if you are looking for something with high airflow that doesn't have any hdd cages or opticals blocking the ideal line of airflow to your motherboard and its components, then look into the upcoming Corsair Cambridge 540, it has a separate chamber for PSU and 2.5 hdds, while still has the 2x 5.25 slots it doesnt block the layout of it as its on the back side. The case is very open, and was design for great air cooling, but im not sure how it will behave on the noise department. Personally im still deciding to order one atm and just try with quiet fans like antec 140s and a HR02 macho, and for storage just twin 840pros and single 2.5 7k1000 1tb (both paced on the hdd cage on the back of the mobo. But i still have my doubts as the case is too open both front, top , extra chamber. etc.

Since you like smaller, you could also look into Bitfinix Prodigy, it does have 1x 5.25 hdd that its removable, it has hdd cages but they are removable also, and its kinda small case its mini itx, but its design to fit a lot of hardware inside. You can even remove all the hdd cages and use the side pannel 2.5 mounts for ssds and 2.5 laptop mechanical drives... not sure how quiet is the case, but just throwing some ideas for what you are perusing.

idbash

Post by idbash » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:29 am

Abula wrote:Now if you are looking for something with high airflow that doesn't have any hdd cages or opticals blocking the ideal line of airflow to your motherboard and its components, then look into the upcoming Corsair Cambridge 540, it has a separate chamber for PSU and 2.5 hdds, while still has the 2x 5.25 slots it doesnt block the layout of it as its on the back side. The case is very open, and was design for great air cooling, but im not sure how it will behave on the noise department. Personally im still deciding to order one atm and just try with quiet fans like antec 140s and a HR02 macho, and for storage just twin 840pros and single 2.5 7k1000 1tb (both paced on the hdd cage on the back of the mobo. But i still have my doubts as the case is too open both front, top , extra chamber. etc.
That would be a very sick case for a pure gaming rig, or a workstation machine, but for a quiet build it doesn't really match the SOLO II in design for silence, because without the hooding to control the air resistance, and thickness of walling it will not be nearly as quiet. The drive bays will go away in the next 5-10 years as they will no longer be necessary due to the SSD and digital revolutions. I have never used a fan controller because motherboards can be a fan controller if you buy the right ones.

I want small for air pressure with less airflow, not more airflow which cases like the 1100, lanboy air, and corsair 540 cases focus on. To generate positive pressure, you need sealed and proportional space to flow. With how many cases that are on the market ranging from the ones that look like planes and submarines to the ones modeled after a toilet or goatse, I guess I am just surprised that it doesn't already exist....

QUIET!

Post by QUIET! » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:34 pm

I'm very surprised that cases like you describe are so uncommon.

I think one of the reasons is that the ATX PSU form factor isn't terribly conducive to fitting in a small case with a tower style CPU cooler and full height expansion cards.

My wish list includes micro-ATX motherboard compatibility, a small form factor PSU, 2-3 2.5" drive slots, eSATAp for storage expansion and the ability to take full height cards as deep as the motherboard, cable management, a well placed fan mounting point and enough space to line the exterior walls with foil backed dynamat or a generic equivalent.

Laser cut acrylic would be a perfect way to make it...

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:01 pm

I've pondered about building such a case. Did a sketch some time ago, but never got around to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

idbash

Post by idbash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:34 am

I just had another thought on this subject, with bottom intake fans, there should be a gap, then a solid piece of aluminum that the feet then attach to, so that the bottom intake fans can get to air when the computer is placed on carpet as most computers are........

Edit: Idea came while looking at that design... I like the idea, very simple and to the point! Awesome design concept Cistron!
QUIET! wrote:I'm very surprised that cases like you describe are so uncommon.

I think one of the reasons is that the ATX PSU form factor isn't terribly conducive to fitting in a small case with a tower style CPU cooler and full height expansion cards.

My wish list includes micro-ATX motherboard compatibility, a small form factor PSU, 2-3 2.5" drive slots, eSATAp for storage expansion and the ability to take full height cards as deep as the motherboard, cable management, a well placed fan mounting point and enough space to line the exterior walls with foil backed dynamat or a generic equivalent.

Laser cut acrylic would be a perfect way to make it...
I agree with everything except micro-atx and acrylic... I prefer full ATX boards for pci-express slots and heat distribution.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:50 am

Thanks!

I thought about building it from cardboard, but haven't moved it to 123D Make yet to get the templates. That also explains why the walls are that thick ;)

If you manage to build something yourself, don't forget to post photographs.

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:40 am

QUIET! wrote:I think one of the reasons is that the ATX PSU form factor isn't terribly conducive to fitting in a small case with a tower style CPU cooler and full height expansion cards.
What's wrong with ATX PSUs and full-height cards? Full-length cards are problematic, full-height is no problem. Without tons of 3.5" and 5.25" bays, a short (30 - 35cm) case should easily be doable.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:06 am

As long as you go pico psu, no bothering with ATX form factor. If you need more power than pico psus can deliver, chances are high you need room for a GPU card too.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:12 pm

boost

Post by boost » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:26 am

idbash wrote:I just had another thought on this subject, with bottom intake fans, there should be a gap, then a solid piece of aluminum that the feet then attach to, so that the bottom intake fans can get to air when the computer is placed on carpet as most computers are........

Edit: Idea came while looking at that design... I like the idea, very simple and to the point! Awesome design concept Cistron!
Like the Jonsbo MX2? Expreview has a few more pix.
Jonsbo has several cases without optical drives, until now mATX was the biggest.
For Atx there are two candidates, both slightly narrower than the Solo II, Coolers up to 150mm should fit.
The GMC Toast R2 might already be discontinued. You could remove the front with the optical drive and (have) build an aluminum panel.
The Cooler Master Elite 241 has an Optcal drive bay but it's the shortest case for ATX afaik.
If you're willing to mod the Zalman T1 or T2 could hold an ATX board if the optical drive bay was removed.