Help me choose a new case + PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Jordan

Help me choose a new case + PSU

Post by Jordan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Sadly, after 7 years' extreme temperature abuse, my faithful Antec Phantom 500 has finally given up. My P180 of the same age could probably do with being replaced too; the panels are warped and the inaccessible power button annoys me.

Unfortunately I can't find the Nexus Value 430 anywhere in the UK - it would have been perfect for me. I'm not convinced the Seasonic SS-360GP will be quiet enough, while the Seasonic 400W Fanless is expensive. The Nexus NX-5000 can be had for ~£50 and is currently top of the list. Any other suggestions?

Case choice is pretty much between the Antec P280 and Solo II, but since I don't really have fan/HDD noise should I just go for a more 'open' case and give myself more options? Or should I stick to a PSU on the floor layout?

CA_Steve

Re: Help me choose a new case + PSU

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:05 pm

If your PC is what's in your signature, that's <180W under stressed load.

edh

Post by edh » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:22 am

Jordan wrote:I'm not convinced the Seasonic SS-360GP will be quiet enough
Why do you assume this? If anything it would be quieter than either of the Nexus models which are both quite out of date and not very efficient so can never be as quiet.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:04 am

edh wrote:
Jordan wrote:I'm not convinced the Seasonic SS-360GP will be quiet enough
Why do you assume this? If anything it would be quieter than either of the Nexus models which are both quite out of date and not very efficient so can never be as quiet.
I'm not assuming anything, I'm going by the SPCR table here

Nexus have a revamped version (v1) of the NX-5000 but according to their own graphs idle load noise is higher than the old version :/

edh

Post by edh » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Jordan wrote:I'm not assuming anything, I'm going by the SPCR table here
That's a little incomplusive I'm afraid. At the low power levels (what you'll be using) The Nexus is shown as 11dB although I'm guessing this is around the noise floor of the chamber. The G360 is simply shown as <13dB. Whether or not this is the noise floor or not I'm not sure but I wouldn't draw conclusions from this. The Value 430 doesn't figure there and really can't be recommended with it's age - it has been retired from the SPCR editors choice list IIRC.
Jordan wrote:Nexus have a revamped version (v1) of the NX-5000 but according to their own graphs idle load noise is higher than the old version :/
There are advantages to it in that it is much more efficient so the noise level is not everything and can be modded with a slower fan to match the older model. What is perhaps dissappointing is that they reference the SPCR Editor's choice award but that was given to the previous version which has nothing to do with the latest version! It could even be made by a different company. This is bad on Nexus' behalf.

I still wouldn't buy the updated Nexus as it's only 80% Silver, isn't that cheap for it's spec and you don't need anything like that level of power. Either save a big chunk of money and go for something cheaper like the G series or stump up the cash for a fanless Kingwin, Superflower or Seasonic.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Yeah I decided to go ahead and order the Seasonic fanless yesterday :)

Have also ordered an Antec Solo II. The vents at the top should allow the Seasonic to release its heat directly.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:10 pm

The solo II does fine with the seasonic passives, that how my HTPCMI build is (check my sig).