Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo as best buy?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mettyx

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo as best buy?

Post by Mettyx » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:47 am

This fan is getting great reviews in terms of cooling, and is pretty cheap. However a lot of sites don't say much about the noise, when will you do a review of this?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo as best buy?

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:11 am

The Cooler Master fans are not the best. Mine had a ticking problem. Don't think a review is necessary, this cooler is pretty well known already.

Mettyx

Post by Mettyx » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 am

Vicotnik wrote:The Cooler Master fans are not the best. Mine had a ticking problem.
This could be anecdotal, is it generally known that Cooler Master brand, especially for CPU cooling, is not silence friendly?

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:20 am

Mettyx wrote:
Vicotnik wrote:The Cooler Master fans are not the best. Mine had a ticking problem.
This could be anecdotal, is it generally known that Cooler Master brand, especially for CPU cooling, is not silence friendly?
Well, you could say that reviews from SPCR have shown that the fan noise from Cooler Master fans is not among the best. But that doesn't change the fact that the CM Hyper 212 EVO is a very capable heatsink. Just replace the stock fan with a good one and you have a good & cheap solution to cool the CPU.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:57 am

Exactly. Very nice and affordable cooler, but be prepared to replace the stock fan if low noise is a priority.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:44 pm

If you can get your hands on the Xigmatek tower coolers (Gaia is a OEM-Evo 212) you might save a buck or two. In germany they tend to be slightly cheaper than the Evo. They stock fan is aceptable, but no match for most of us.

In the builds i've assembled with a Gaia, all people were satiesfied with the stock fan drilled down, but YMMV.

QUIET!

Post by QUIET! » Sat May 11, 2013 9:20 pm

I'm going to be trying an Xigmatek s1284 soon. Its an older heat sink but they make a bracket for 1155 and it has four large direct touch heat pipes. It is also heavily discounted at a local computer shop.

I can tell you that the Xigmatek Gaia works very well on an i3-3220, idle near 30c, load around 50c with very little fan noise, even with the side off the case. Maybe not silent but not bad.

I think any good 120mm fan size heat pipe tower heatsink should have ample cooling for any CPU with a tdp of 80 watts or so. The biggest issue is fitment, some of the bigger ones are more than 160mm tall and unless your case is more than about 7.1" wide at the very minimum, chances are your side panel won't close over the heat sink so check for clearance (ask me how I discovered that...). Any way if you find a good deal and reviews look decent, its hard to go too wrong.

Ram clearance might be an issue too, unless you go with low profile sticks which will clear any rationally designed heat sink (and they are usually 1.35v which means less power and less heat).

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:01 pm

A friend of mine picked up the Hyper 212 Evo along with a new CPU and Asus P8Z77-M motherboard about a month ago. I assembled the system. It wouldn't boot - no post, no beeps, nothing. Long story short, the Hyper 212 Evo was the cause! The insulation on the metal backplate's "fingers" (where they physically touch the back of the motherboard) was very thin and missing in some spots. So short/ground = no boot for you! Swapping in the OEM Intel cooler resulted in a perfectly normal boot. We wrapped the Hyper 212 Evo backplate fingers with electrical tape and reinstalled it. So far, so good.

The fan bundled with the cooler is quieter than his case fan, so I can't really comment on noise. At ambient / cold, the fan spins ~ 600 rpm which triggered his motherboard's "fan failure" warning. The warning threshold can be adjusted in bios.