Do Seasonic PSUs beep?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

fuzzymath10

Do Seasonic PSUs beep?

Post by fuzzymath10 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:21 pm

So something odd happened recently. One night I was awakened by my PC beeping randomly (sometimes a few every 10 seconds, then it might go away for awhile and come back). Because I heard the drives seeking right after, I thought the drives had a problem, but after removing the video card (HD 4830) and using the IGP, the beeping stopped.

Since I thought maybe the video card was dying, I removed it and put in an HD 5750 from another computer. The same beeping happened again. I had no idea what the issue might be, but I did notice the PCI-E plug was unseated about 1-2mm from the PSU (X-460 is modular). After reseating, I haven't heard the beeps for a day or so.

So, is this beeping the PSU or the video card (with two different video cards beeping!)? I can't see any sort of speaker coming from the video card, and it's not the motherboard because I didn't plug in the PC speaker (and don't think there's one built in because there is no POST beep unless I plug one in).

I googled about Seasonic PSUs beeping but it doesn't sound common, whereas it sounds common for video cards to beep, but in my case there was no obvious issues with crashing, overheating, etc.

edh

Re: Do Seasonic PSUs beep?

Post by edh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:05 pm

First question would be why do you need to leave your computer switched on over night? Switching it off would avoid this being a problem and save electricity.

It won't be the PSU itself beeping but it is possible that the graphics card/mobo combination that you have will beep if there is insufficient power getting to the graphics card. If it has not stopped beeping since you reconnected the PCI-E power cable then this would be the case. Never heard of a card having a built in speaker to allow it to beep though...

mkk

Post by mkk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:54 am

Yeah I would suspect the motherboard giving you a signal. Some have a small onboard buzzer mounted since the classic PC speaker isn't used so oftenly anymore.

andymcca

Post by andymcca » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 am

Maybe the motherboard battery voltage is low? I've never heard of getting an audible warning, but perhaps someone really wanted to protect your BIOS settings.

Edit: Does this only happen while the computer is on or off?