Noctua NF-F12 on Corsair H80 causing whine/whurring/buzzing

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jcklbyfsh

Noctua NF-F12 on Corsair H80 causing whine/whurring/buzzing

Post by jcklbyfsh » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:34 am

Hi there,

I've just recently changed from Corsair AF/SP Performance Edition Fans to a Mixture of Noctua Fans to make my rig quieter.

System is built in a Silverstone FT03

The problem I have is that I'm running an Corsair H80 cooler and right now 1 Noctua NF-F12 that is the push fan for the radiator run push/pull is causing a faint whine/whurring/buzzing sound
It's registering around 55dB with the whining fan on.

When that one fan is unplugged it falls to around 50db but the main thing is that with out the whinning sound (which is very annoying) it's very quiet because it's a very low pitched wooshing sound which is really just the air moving.

I just want to know what's causing this whinning sound? Is there some sort of physics behind this? Do I have one faulty fan?

joossens

Re: Noctua NF-F12 on Corsair H80 causing whine/whurring/buzz

Post by joossens » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi,

I've got 3 noctua fans on my triple rad and they are smooth as can be.
But they are the nf-p12's these are specifically made to produce more pressure and thus more suited for heatsinks and radiators.
nf-f12 is really more of a low pressure case fan.
But to my knowledge they should not make a whining noise, at least not as case fans.

Greets,

J.

joossens

Post by joossens » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:21 pm

I confused the nf-f12 with nf-s12, sorry about that.
Don't have any experience with the nf-f12.

J.

Wild Penguin

Post by Wild Penguin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:16 am

Hi jcklbyfsh,

Just a guess, but my Nexus fans start making a weird whirring sound (I wrote about singing in another thread, half jokingly, but it's difficult to describe) when PWM controlled.

I googled, your fan is PWM controllable (at least the NF-F12). Can you try to switch it to voltage controlled mode, and see if the whirring goes away?

It could be the PWM wavemode in some MBs and / or / the combination with particular fans, that causes the whirring (whining, buzzing, singing, whatever).

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:10 am

joossens wrote: nf-f12 is really more of a low pressure case fan.
Actually, that's not the case. The NF-F12 is really designed for use on a heatsink or radiator and offers the highest static pressure of any of Noctua's fans.

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=whic ... ght_for_me

jcklbyfsh wrote: The problem I have is that I'm running an Corsair H80 cooler and right now 1 Noctua NF-F12 that is the push fan for the radiator run push/pull is causing a faint whine/whurring/buzzing sound
It's registering around 55dB with the whining fan on.
If the NF-F12 is the push fan, what fan are you using for pull?