Dmesg

Nexus/Akust Dual HD vibration reducers

Post by Dmesg » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:57 pm

A picture says a thousand words:
http://www.xoxide.com/hddantivibrationdualsink.html

What appears to be the same product under a different brand:
Nexus DoubleTwin Hard Drive Vibration Absorber
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=23379

Do any of you have experience with either of these or similar products under a different brand? How did they fare?

One thing I'd like to know is whether they're compatible with drive mounting rails such as those used in Antec's P18x series.

Edit: Oops. I just found a number of threads (which I'm about to read) in the forum about the above, which might answer my questions. I only discovered the Nexus product *while* I was composing my post, and the Akust product yielded no hits. So I apologize if this has already been answered.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Re: Nexus/Akust Dual HD vibration reducers

Post by andyb » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:25 pm

That (basic) design has been tested before by SPCR, the conclusion was that the rubber was too hard to be of any significant value - it helped, but not a great deal, and it of course does nothing to help the airborne drive noise.

Saying that, this is a different design, it has the ability to mount 2x drives rather than just one, and the rubber might be better suited to dampening HDD vibrations.

If you want to go ahead and try one, I would be interested in the results, as I am sure loads of other SPCR readers would be.

Andy

mkk

Post by mkk » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:34 pm

I have used the DoubleTwin model and it's very good as far as these things go since they are fairly soft. There's another product called DiskTwin that comes with heatsinks for better cooling, but their "rubber" was too rigid to dampen vibrations much at all.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 pm

I have used the DoubleTwin model and it's very good as far as these things go since they are fairly soft.
That's good to know, thanks for the input.

A quick couple of questions, what size gaps are there between the drives.? and what size gaps between the 5.25" drives above and below.?

Andy

mkk

Post by mkk » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:42 pm

When using a DoubleTwin to indeed mount two drives then there is no more than about a centimeter left between them. (the lower drive would also sit upside down) Since such a setup would require more space than a single 5,25" bay I would generally use them one drive at a time, though the dual setup could certainly be useful for low power storage drives in a case with half decent airflow. On the other hand they shouldn't be expensive either.

I have my old CM Stacker case standing in a corner doing nothing. If I were to put it to use again like perhaps as a backup server using old, noisy drives then I would definitely put them on DoubleTwin's. And only power it on when necessary, lol.