It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Silent home server with InterTech SY-608 and 4 HDDs build
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:27 pm 

Hey dudes, I managed to put my home server system together today. Here is the story.

The previous server had a cheap MoBo, an intel celeron dual-core 2GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, and 4x1TB HDD's using software RAID5. Running Debian 7.
I decided to upgrade the CPU to a six-core AMD 6300 FX, and had to get a new MoBo as well. The new MoBo was bigger than the old one, and didn't fit in the old case. So I had to use the desktop's case to fit the server into it while I figured out what new case to get. The desktop machine then ran without a case for a while.

The discussion for choosing the case is in here.

I chose this case because it has all 5" bays, so I could easily suspend the HDDs using elastics. In the end I used more than 4 meters of elastic just to hold 4 HDDs.

Before looking at the pictures below, you might want to check the pictures on their website.

Sorry about the quality, all I had available was a phone.

The way it was setup before the build:

HDDs were mounted with screws:

Added elastics to new case:

Elastics from the back. Later I figured I should have tied the bow at the back and got a cleaner look at the front, but it's not really important, seeing as the case remains closed.

I started by putting the HDDs in from the top, but this was a mistake, since it's a lot easier to start from the bottom:

Adding Motherboard:

Adding Seasonic power supply:

The PSU filter below the case is semi-removable:

Changing the CPU cooler:

The stock AMD cooler left a strange pattern on the CPU itself:

After wiping the thermal paste off, dust around it with a paint brush.

Adding in the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7. I had no choice but to mount it blowing upwards, since I couldn't turn it 90°.

I later removed the case fan visible on the left:

Cable management:

Here is the 12V CPU cable:

Bundling up the unused cables:

Adding SATA cables:

Adding front panel cables:

Running in the corner:

Now for the desktop computer, moving it into the white case you saw in the first picture:

Also mounted its ATA HDD with elastics:

When first plugging in the power, I did not realize it had turned on, I had to see the front LED to get it. But after a few seconds it started making fan noise, one of the fans started turning faster. The Freezer 7 seems to run at a higher RPM. When booting up, it is silent, but after a while it starts to spin faster and make audible noise.

I noticed that it generates a lot of heat. I put my hands on the HDDs and they were hot just after a few minutes, so I moved the small fan you saw in the pictures above in front of the HDDs. It doesn't have a lot of intake space, so it doesn't really do an efficient job.

I'm thinking of getting another fan, as well as a case fan to help it, and a better HDD fan, maybe a couple of 140mm fans.

Overall I'm pleased with it.

What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Silent home server with InterTech SY-608 and 4 HDDs buil
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:48 pm 

Oh and any idea why the HDD LED isn't working? I tried connecting it both ways (normal inverted) to the MoBo HDD LED pins, and nothing is blinking.

Post subject: Re: Silent home server with InterTech SY-608 and 4 HDDs buil
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:33 pm 

check the wire on the LED side and make sure it isn't yanked off or frayed...seen it happen many times. If you have a spare LED, you can use that to test the header to make sure it's working correctly

|Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620-Xigmatek SD1283 DK-II|Asus Z9PA-D8-HR-05 IFX|WD 250gb Velociraptor SATA3|16gb DDR3-1600 ECC RDIMM|WD Blue 640GB SATA2 x2|Logitech K750|Logitech Wireless Mouse|nVidia GTX660ti 2GB|Antec HCG-750|NZXT Source 210 Elite|M-Audio ProFire 2626|Art TubeOpto8 with Smooth Plate Tube Swap|Avid Artist Mix x2|
FartingBob wrote:
A 9500GT with 1GB of RAM is the most pointless thing since NASCAR.