Fractal Design R4 Cooling setup

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

perbont

Fractal Design R4 Cooling setup

Post by perbont » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 am

So I am about to buy a Fractal Design R4 and am looking at getting some fans for it. I have quite aloud setup atm which is why I am a bit worried of setting up something again and have a horribly loud noise again =\... So I still want a nice and cool pc but i dont want it to be loud!

2x 120mm fans (for my corsair H100i radiator)
4x 140mm fans (2x front, 1x bottom, 1x rear)

Was looking at having the 2x 120mm fans on the radiator along the top exhausting, and 1x 140mm on the rear also exhausting. Then having the remaining fans 1x rear and 2x front pulling in air.

My questions are:

- What fans should i get for a nice silent but still decent airflow setup
- Do you recommend a different setup for the fans in the case

CA_Steve

Re: Fractal Design R4 Cooling setup

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:03 am

Welcome to SPCR.

Don't know if you need 6 fans. What's your build's component list?

Abula

Re: Fractal Design R4 Cooling setup

Post by Abula » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:45 am

If you are looking to build a quiet setup, i wouldn't recommend going with H100i nor so many fans, unless you are overclocking heavy, in which case i would suggest go with custom waterloop and a case like Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 $$69 (atm on sale), it has offset rad mounts on the top, so the rad will end up facing more toward the side panel than the motherboard, allowing taller memory or wider rads, it also has imo better frontal rad support, i seen builds with 80mm think rads mounted on the front with very little modding.

Now if you intention is to build a quiet setup with R4, i would just go with Thermalright HR02 Macho instead of the H100i, or really want something that is as capable in air, Thermalright Silver Arrow SBE, i would click the black/white option and the extra fan to be placed on the back of the case and move the included fan to the front, to end up with 2 fans in and one out to have positive pressure.