Asus Z87M-Plus stuck in reboot loop[SOLVED, still need help]

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PeteM

Asus Z87M-Plus stuck in reboot loop[SOLVED, still need help]

Post by PeteM » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:16 pm

Hello!

I hope this is the correct forum and you will forgive me making a forked thread for this hardware problem. The main thread is here and will be updated when this problem will be solved...

Guys, I am totally desperate with my new build. All components except for the GPU arrived, so I build the thing without any problems. But after powering it up for the first time the problems started and now it restarts every few seconds...

Here is my part list:
Case: SilverStone Temjin Evolution TJ08-E
Mainboard:ASUS Z87M-Plus (90MB0EF0-M0EAY0)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K, 4x 3.40GHz, boxed (BX80646I54670K)
CPU-cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. A (BW)
RAM: Kingston HyperX Plug n Play DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-12800U CL9 (DDR3-1600) (KHX1600C9D3P1K2/8G)
HDD1: Samsung SSD 840 Pro Series 256GB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s, retail (MZ-7PD256BW)
HDD 2:Western Digital Red 3000GB, SATA 6Gb/s (WD30EFRX)
PSU:Enermax Platimax 600W ATX 2.3 (EPM600AWT)

Here is the error description:
First time after letting it sit for a while it will run for 30-60 seconds, then there is a snap (some relais?) in the power supply, reboot. The sytem reboots and the cycle repeats faster and faster until it resets nearly every 5-10 seconds. The first few times there was a post message "power surge detected", but that disappeared after a few boot loops?

Here is what I tried already (none of this influenced the problem at all):

* I tried all the steps below with the case assembled and also with the MB out of the case sitting on my desk
* Checked ATX + 12V CPU power - both are plugged in correctely
* Clearing CMOS
* Turning off surge protection after reading it is considered to be buggy, turning it back on
* Updating BIOS - which broke the BIOS since it crashed in the middle of it. After removing EVERYTHING except ATX power I was able to flash BIOS 510 using ASUS USB BIOS Flashback....
* Loading optimized defaults
* Using Mem OK button
* Removing both RAM sticks (wont even POST), trying each one separately in each slot, swapping them both around
* Adding and removing every possible combination of the SSD and HDD
* Using a wired USB keyboard, and a wireless Logitech K400

* Also tried calling ASUS support hotline - they are sympathetic but stumped and couldnt help...
* Banging my head on the table in desperation...

As you can guess, I am getting quite desperate... Is this a defective PSU? A defective mainboard? What is going on here? What am I doing wrong or overlooking? Please help me! Thanks!
Last edited by PeteM on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abula

Re: Asus Z87M-Plus stuck in reboot loop (every few seconds)

Post by Abula » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Sry to hear on the status of your build.

I had looping restart issue with on X58/1366 build but ended as a problem on the power fase of the motherboard, was a gigabyte UD3H, and the first revision had those endless resets due to their design, there were bios to fix it, and while it helped, in my case never fully fixed it.

the TJ08-E has a removable motherboard plate, so take the motherboard out, and the psu, test it with the least as possible.
No frontal fan, no back fan, just use the CPU fan. Only keyboard and mouse and make them USB/PS2 no wireless.
If you boot to bios, load default/optimal, and try to see the memory trimming and voltage.
try with 1 memory in the yellow/black, (if you get the time try to do memtest86)
Try it with the SSD only and with HDD only (in my server a hdd had me guessing random reboots).
Crosscheck that the Macho backplate isnt touching the soldiering on the back of the motherboard or overlapping any components (sometimes there are wierd thing in the back of the motherboard).

The PSU / Mobo is what would bet at the end in case you going to RMA either, but would be great if you could find another PSU to test. Btw not all PSU are compatible with Haswell, it has a new low states that not all PSU can deliver... i dont think this is the issue, but crosscheck enermax website.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:46 pm

my first guess is poor contact/mounting of heatsink with CPU TIM.
reseat the CPU and heatsink yet? maybe post a picture of pattern of thermal grease between the two surfaces....
can you let it sit and boot into bios and watch what bios temp monitor shows before it starts looping?

(PS how many computers have you built?)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Doubt that it's the CPU/cooler seating. If it overheated, it would throttle down....not reboot. Given the cycle, sounds like either the mobo or PSU. Strip down to a minimal system. Ideally:
- try another PSU in this system. clear CMOS before booting. If it works, then your Enermax has issues.
- try this psu in another system. If it works, then blame the mobo.

boost

Post by boost » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:01 pm

Do you have the internal speaker connected? Beep codes can be very helpful. The board also has some LED that indicate RAM problems and power status. What do they show?
PeteM wrote:* Updating BIOS - which broke the BIOS since it crashed in the middle of it. After removing EVERYTHING except ATX power I was able to flash BIOS 510 using ASUS USB BIOS Flashback....
You're lucky the board still kinda works. Clear the RTC RAM (mainboard manual section 1.2.6) then try flashing to either 3.11 original bios or 5.10, and make shure to put the jumper back.

If that doesn't help you should remove the mainboard from the cases and put it on a non-concudting surface (the boards anti static bag on top of the carton does fine). Plug the power in and see if that works. Maybe something from the case (mainbaord standoffs all in the right places?) creates a short circuit by touching the back of the mainbaord.
Next step: remove the Macho cooler. The backplate of the cooler could creat a shodt circuit, too. Check with the boxed cooler. if it works insulate the backplate of he Macho with electrical tape tape, several layers preferably. When you remove the cooler you should remove the CPU and check for bent pins on the socket.

PeteM

Post by PeteM » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:43 pm

Hello! Thanks for your helpful replies!

I already tried most of what you suggested:

* Luckily I was able to flash the newest 510 BIOS by using only ATX power and an USB stick (disconnected everything else). After resetting the CMOS, it normally accesses the BIOS before crashing. Yay, I guess the stupid ones have all the luck! :roll:

* Took the MB out already yesterday and checked: There seems to be no wrong contacts with the case mounting backplate. Will check again.

* Disassembled all components and very carefully and diligently put them together again, piece by piece and checking the progress. No luck...

* There seems to be proper contact between the HR02 and the CPU heat spreader (seen by thermal paste impression on CPU & heatsink).

* The CPU temp is stable at around 32-36°C in the BIOS before crashing (similar to ambient temperature).

* The HR02 *slightly* touches the clip which presses the CPU into its socket. Shouldn't be a problem, should it?

* The Macho backplate does not touch and contacts on the back or front of the mainboard. There are also little plastic washers for insulation.

* The CPU socket has no bent pins.

* I tried loading optimized defaults.

* I tried with each stick in each memory bank. The DRAM timings seem to be properly set? But I will check again.

* Tried with ssd or hdd only, with both.

* Tried with wired USB keyboard as well as with wireless.

Also:

* I am trying to get hold of another PSU to check wether that would be the problem
* Enermax Platimax 600W *should* be compatible to Haswell as claimed by Enermax.
* If the Enermax should turn out faulty I an thinking about switching to a Kingwin Stryker 500....
* What drives me crazy is that the reboot cycle increases in speed as time passes. This made me think about overheating at first.
* Will try the stock cooler!

* Could it be that without a GPU the system is not drawing *enough* power thus causing this problem?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:54 am

boost wrote:If that doesn't help you should remove the mainboard from the cases and put it on a non-concudting surface (the boards anti static bag on top of the carton does fine).
Before placing a live mobo on top of an anti-static bag....you might want to take out the ol' ohm meter. That shiny/metallic looking bag might/might not have a conductive coating on the outside as well as the inside. Most likely not, but not worth screwing with..

MattHelm

Post by MattHelm » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:53 am

CA_Steve wrote:
boost wrote:If that doesn't help you should remove the mainboard from the cases and put it on a non-concudting surface (the boards anti static bag on top of the carton does fine).
Before placing a live mobo on top of an anti-static bag....you might want to take out the ol' ohm meter. That shiny/metallic looking bag might/might not have a conductive coating on the outside as well as the inside. Most likely not, but not worth screwing with..
Correct CA_Steve. Most "black/gray" anti-static bags are conductive (inside and out), and are technically static shielding. The best MB come with a "pink" foam on the bottom, inside a black bag. The pink foam (they do make "pink" bags, but are very uncommon these days) is non-conductive and "anti-static" (does not produce a static charge when moved against something), but cannot "drain" static. I set the pink foam on the top of the black bag, then the MB on top of it. I keep ALL pink foam, and most black bags, when they come with a item, and anytime I move or store an exposed electronic item, I put them in one first.

(But then I also have a 6'x3' anti-static pad for working on stuff!)

PeteM

Post by PeteM » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:33 am

Hello again!

Thank you for that interesting discourse about antistatic bags! I never thought i would say that, but i learned something interesting about bags and padding. :)

@xan_user: It must have been about 10 to 15 systems I built. So I am no hardcore system builder, but at least basically proficient. Never encountered SUCH a problem though..

Anyways, I tried the board with a different RAM stick (actually one, then a pair) and the result was identical... Since I do not have the possibility to try out another PSU, I agreed with the vendor to send it back and try with a replacement. If the MB was the culprit, then I will be mad....

Another possibility came to my mind after reading a thread in this forum: Could it be that without a GPU the system is not drawing enough power from the PSU and that leads to powerfluctuations which the mainboard recognizes and thus shuts it down?

Have a nice Sunday, everyone!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:03 am

PeteM wrote:Another possibility came to my mind after reading a thread in this forum: Could it be that without a GPU the system is not drawing enough power from the PSU and that leads to powerfluctuations which the mainboard recognizes and thus shuts it down?
Very unlikely - remember, Haswell compliant PSUs must be able to drive very low power levels for the new sleep states.

boost

Post by boost » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Disable anti surge protection in bios. Disable PLL overvolting in bios.

PeteM

Post by PeteM » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Finally some positive news: Thanks to the awesome employees of a local branch of abig PC store chain I was able to get a power supply for testing (BeQuiet dark power 10 550W as tested here).

And guess what: The system ran stable for multiple hours!

Now I am thinking about keeping the bequiet psu... Both the Enermax Platimax and the Bequiet dark power 10 have excellent reviews on SPCR. But my trust in Enermax has been very shaken....

I am asking you once more for your invaluable input! Thanks!

Abula

Re: Asus Z87M-Plus stuck in reboot loop[SOLVED, still need h

Post by Abula » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:33 pm

If you like the PSU and you dont have any issues i don't see problem, some of their psu are FSP based, not a uber record but decent. But personally i would try to find a Kingwin LZP 550, also reviewed by SPCR Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W Power Supply, design and manufactured by SuperFlower, got good reviews from big end PSU sites like JonnyGuru, and TechpowerUp.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:46 am

The Be Quiet! is a great PSU. My only nit is it's efficiency isn't as great as some others, especially at low loads.

boost

Post by boost » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:40 pm

uk.hardware.info has a very interesting review of PSUs under low loads.
BeQuiet Straight Power E9 and and Seasonic G and Platinum get the thumbs up.
Kingwin wasn't in the test but their design (higher wattage) is also very efficienet under low loads, so Igather from other reviews. It was the runner-up for my build, but too big so I went with Seasonic.