45 PSUs efficiencies tested at low loads

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

pod03

45 PSUs efficiencies tested at low loads

Post by pod03 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:35 am

The following might be of interest:

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/4683/45 ... -efficient

Mark
Last edited by pod03 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

kater

Re: 45 PSUs efficienies tested at low loads

Post by kater » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:31 am

better late than never :)

"Recently when we've tested power supplies we regularly received comments about the fact that we test the efficiency of PSUs beginning at 200 watts. That's because the energy consumption of modern desktop PCs with Ivy Bridge or Haswell processors is typically a lot lower. It's a valid point, so we spent a lot of time in retesting many of the PSUs we've reviewed in recent months. This time we tested their efficiency at much lower load levels, of 22.5 watts, 50 watts and 100 watts. The results are definitely worth taking a closer look at."

Hello, history called. They say plenty PCs with C2D and medium range VGAs idled at below and around 100W 5 years ago. Even with Q9450 I did not hit 100W at wall.

Well, not to gripe, but also, is a site that followed such a flawed formula for testing PSUs until advised by its users really a site to trust?

pod03

Re: 45 PSUs efficiencies tested at low loads

Post by pod03 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:25 am

I do have some queries about the results - the results for the Antec EarthWatts Platinum 450W look a little too good and the results for the Seasonic Platinum Series Fanless 400W looks a little poorer than I would have expected. However, difficult to find comparable tests - perhaps a comparison that SPCR wants to replicate with the PSUs they have access to.

If accurate the difference between the Antec in first place and BeQuiet in second would equate to about 0.5 watts 24/7 so not insignificant for something that is bought occasionally.