Lone Industries Mini-ITX prototype

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

fuzzymath10

Re: Lone Industries Mini-ITX prototype

Post by fuzzymath10 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:48 pm

I think you did very well managing to keep it below $100. Let us know when you've figured out the payment and shipping process!

johannes

Post by johannes » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:03 am

Is now the only moment to get the case (because you are getting them all made now) or would it be possible to ask for one also towards the end of this year?

This looks like the best small mini-itx case for use with higher powered CPUs, but I'd like to wait for more info on Kaveri before paying ~90 USD + shipping to Europe.

jamese

Post by jamese » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:31 am

@Mankey, Hopefully the powder coating company does a good job, and the quality is there. They will be finished inside and out, so that will be nice. That would be cool if SPCR could review it, but I'm really looking forward to getting some feedback from you guys.

@fuzzymath10, Thanks! I will definitely let everyone know as soon as I'm able to take orders. I'm shooting for the end of the month at the latest.

@johannes, I'm hoping to try to maintain some stock as necessary, so you should be able to buy the case anytime.

jamese

Post by jamese » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:25 am

I just received xan_user's unfinished case! I'm very happy with the changes. The increased thickness in metal is significant. Fit is also very good. Unfortunately, the new hard drive bracket fit is too tight, and will have to be redone.

jamese

Post by jamese » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:20 am

Looks like most 2.5" drives that are the standard 69.85mm width will fit the bracket, but not Corsair SSD's which are wider (70.1-70.3mm), and with slightly tapered sides. I should've gone for too loose! :)

I will likely redo the brackets, but it could set me back a week or two.
Last edited by jamese on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:06 am

jamese wrote:I just received xan_user's unfinished case! I'm very happy with the changes. The increased thickness in metal is significant. Fit is also very good. Unfortunately, the new hard drive bracket fit is too tight, and will have to be redone.
sweet! any pics?

jamese

Post by jamese » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:25 am

xan_user wrote:
jamese wrote:I just received xan_user's unfinished case! I'm very happy with the changes. The increased thickness in metal is significant. Fit is also very good. Unfortunately, the new hard drive bracket fit is too tight, and will have to be redone.
sweet! any pics?
Here's a couple. Unfortunately they prepped the surface like it was going to be painted, so there are light circular grind marks. I'm not sure how you feel about this, but I don't really feel good about selling you this one. Tooling marks are one thing, but the surfacing marks only needed to be there if it was going to be painted. Sorry about this xan_user.

Last edited by jamese on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:49 am

jamese wrote:
xan_user wrote:
sweet! any pics?
Here's a couple. Unfortunately they prepped the surface like it was going to be painted, so there are light circular grind marks. I'm not sure how you feel about this, but I don't really feel good about selling you this one. Tooling marks are one thing, but the surfacing marks only needed to be there if it was going to be painted. Sorry about this xan_user.

LOVE IT!
8)

Mankey

Post by Mankey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:54 am

jamese wrote: Here's a couple. Unfortunately they prepped the surface like it was going to be painted, so there are light circular grind marks. I'm not sure how you feel about this, but I don't really feel good about selling you this one. Tooling marks are one thing, but the surfacing marks only needed to be there if it was going to be painted. Sorry about this xan_user.
Not sure if you were simply going to send this guy out to be powdercoated also, or if the batch and already been sent out. BUT If you're unable to sell that one due to the markings, I might want to pick it up - I can spray it with automotive paint through a HVLP gun in my shop. Not as tough as powder coat, but it may work.

jamese

Post by jamese » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:17 am

Mankey wrote:Not sure if you were simply going to send this guy out to be powdercoated also, or if the batch and already been sent out. BUT If you're unable to sell that one due to the markings, I might want to pick it up - I can spray it with automotive paint through a HVLP gun in my shop. Not as tough as powder coat, but it may work.
Thanks, it sounds like xan_user is going to take this one. I'll let you know if anything changes. I'm having new hdd/ssd brackets made, so I was thinking I could have it painted with them if necessary.

White cases have been powder coated, just waiting on the black ones now, and screws. Turns out, it's not very easy to get black M3 screws! :)

tipo33

Post by tipo33 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:58 pm

That is quite impressive, I was leaning towards an Antec ISK310 for a future build, but having seen this I may get one following a review. Shipping to Europe is a pain :( That said, great job!

jamese

Post by jamese » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:47 am

tipo33 wrote:That is quite impressive, I was leaning towards an Antec ISK310 for a future build, but having seen this I may get one following a review. Shipping to Europe is a pain :( That said, great job!
Thank you, if you'd like to PM your postal code (or one near you), I can do some checking on shipping costs.

jamese

Post by jamese » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Wiring up the power switches has turned out to be a very time consuming process, but I think they're turning out nicely. The wires are about 38 mm (15 inches) in length, and should reach any m/b header location with the wires routed behind the motherboard.

Last edited by jamese on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:32 am

Cool case! The world needs more compact cases.
What's the rationale for using an external PSU? I'm not a fan of power bricks.

jamese

Post by jamese » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:26 am

Olaf van der Spek wrote:Cool case! The world needs more compact cases.
What's the rationale for using an external PSU? I'm not a fan of power bricks.
Thank you! I don't like power bricks either, but the advantage of using one, or in particular a PicoPSU is: compactness, less wires, less heat in case, and availability (in North America anyway). The external power supply is a necessary evil, but can usually be hidden quite easily.

I did consider using an open frame power supply, but everything I found was way too large. If something very small and powerful does exist out there, I'd love to know about it. I guess with enough money something could be made, like Apple did for the current Mac Mini. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I don't know much about power supplies, but I wish they were much simpler, or not even necessary. :)

jamese

Post by jamese » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:32 am

I picked up the finished parts, and new brackets today. Powder coated parts look great! The black is very nice, and the white is super bright! New brackets also fit my Corsair SSD perfectly now.

I'm going to start contacting and taking orders from those who have already expressed a desire to purchase a case, and who are on my mailing list. Afterwards I'll open it up to anyone.

Sorry for the poor iPhone photos. Hopefully I'll have some time to take some high quality photos soon. :)

Last edited by jamese on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamese

Post by jamese » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:10 am

Quick shot of the white:
New bracket, just slightly wider:
Last edited by jamese on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mankey

Post by Mankey » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Looks great! Gimmie!

jamese

Post by jamese » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:24 pm

Outside shots with open side:

Last edited by jamese on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

tipo33

Post by tipo33 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:48 pm

I know I initially expressed some hesitation, but I'm in. I'll write a review when it gets here, to hopefully sway some other unsure European custumers.

jamese

Post by jamese » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:07 am

tipo33 wrote:I know I initially expressed some hesitation, but I'm in. I'll write a review when it gets here, to hopefully sway some other unsure European custumers.
Awesome, thank you!

Ren0ir

Post by Ren0ir » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:07 am

The case looks great and - since I'm currently trying to have my own case design made - the project has been very interesting to follow. Making a box can be quite involving indeed!

Are there any particulars to keep in mind regarding the power button? I assume it is "just" a momentary short-circuit, but since I'm not exactly experienced with any kinds of DIY electronics, I'm quite curious to what went into the process.

jamese

Post by jamese » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:07 pm

Ren0ir wrote:The case looks great and - since I'm currently trying to have my own case design made - the project has been very interesting to follow. Making a box can be quite involving indeed!

Are there any particulars to keep in mind regarding the power button? I assume it is "just" a momentary short-circuit, but since I'm not exactly experienced with any kinds of DIY electronics, I'm quite curious to what went into the process.
Yes, just a simple SPST-NO momentary switch, nothing more. I just know the absolute basics. If you can wire a stereo, then you can do this. There's a little more wiring involved when you want an illuminated switch.

Good luck with you project! :)

jamese

Post by jamese » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:36 am

I've got a basic website online, and will continue to put more photos, and information up as time allows: loneindustries.com

A number of cases have been shipped now, so hopefully in a week or so we'll start getting some feedback!

jamese

Post by jamese » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:38 pm

I've got a couple slightly blemished white cases, if anyone's interested in one at a reduced price. Both blemishes are at the rear of the case. One has a tweaked mounting tab, the other some scuffs, and small chips.

I spent some time today swapping my main computer parts into a black case for myself. I'm happy with how easy it is to work on the case, but I'm looking forward to hearing other people's opinions once they start working with them. Not really related to the case, but one area that could really use some work is the PicoPSU wiring. I think it needs some custom wiring and/or sleeving.

P.S. I seem to have lost that fourth Noctua silicon grommet! :(

Last edited by jamese on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:26 pm

Sweeeeeeet, didn't realized you were in Canada too! Definitely interested, are you on the East or West coast? I prefer external bricks for small ITX based PC's, just look at my ISK-310 HTPC build....

jamese

Post by jamese » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:28 pm

cyberspyder wrote:Sweeeeeeet, didn't realized you were in Canada too! Definitely interested, are you on the East or West coast? I prefer external bricks for small ITX based PC's, just look at my ISK-310 HTPC build....
I'm in Western Canada. Your ISK-310 build looks great! Look forward to your order. ;) Shipping to the east is similar to the US - about $18-20.

jamese

Post by jamese » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:57 pm

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:41 pm

Got my case today! Looks great!

Now i just need to figure out what mobo to put in it...

unfortunately my power brick wont quite fit inside because of the chords on either end. i had hoped i could put the whole power supply inside. oh, well. maybe i can find a right angled AC cord that will allow it to fit.

ill post up a mini review once i get a mobo to put in it. ( help me pick a good mobo and ill review it quicker :lol: )

i do kind of agree with some of the posts on [H]ard|Forum, and would love to see it be a bit taller to accommodate cards with dual slot sized heat-sinks. that would also give you the option to put 80mm fans on bottom if no card was installed, as well as give just enough room for mounting up to 4x 2.5 drives. (or easily fitting a power brick inside)
also, IMO it also also needs bigger feet. ill be using some isolate it! i have lying around.

PS, got any silver screw for the case lids? black kind of kills the whole delorean look. 8)

jamese

Post by jamese » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:56 pm

@xan_user, That's great, I'm glad you like it! Look forward to your mini review. :)

Can you put the brick down on the floor, or hide it somewhere else? Outside the case will give you a bit more room in there! ;) One thing another user mentioned was using a 19V power brick (which are smaller, and cheaper?), with a wide input PicoPSU. The wide input PicoPSU's don't have a separate 4pin power connector though, so you'd have to use an adapter.

You may want to start another thread for some motherboard suggestions. My only recommendation is that you may want to consider the location of the 24 pin connector. Next to the fans will work, it just requires working with the PicoPSU wires so they don't interfere with the second case fan (if you use one).

I agree also, dual slots would be cool. A bigger case may very well happen some day. Hadn't heard of isolate-it feet. What size do you have? I have some 3M feet that are a similar shape to the isolate-it feet, but decided not to use them. They're only a little larger than the ones I sent. The ones I sent were very expensive compared to the 3M feet.

Hey, aren't DeLorean's silver with black trim! ;) I do have some stainless steel screws I can send, but you may want to just get them locally, or from someone like Fastenal.com:
20 x M3
5 x 6-32
Fastenal.com Total: $1.61