New Build Time - Seasonic Platinum PSU??

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

New Build Time - Seasonic Platinum PSU??

Post by gb115b » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:32 am

anyone have anything to say about the 760 or 1000W (overkill) versions of this?

I've always gone for seasonic, is it worth shopping around for new brands (available in the UK)?

Runes

Re: New Build Time - Seasonic Platinum PSU??

Post by Runes » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:12 pm

gb115b wrote:anyone have anything to say about the 760 or 1000W (overkill) versions of this?

I've always gone for seasonic, is it worth shopping around for new brands (available in the UK)?
I would reccomend the Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 1000W or 1200W.

They're based on the Seasonic X design. But they have engineered out the squeal that is present on a lot of the Seasonics.

The Platinums are the most notorious for it. It's quieter on the X series but still present. Be Quiet! has managed to get rid of it altogether somehow. I'm not sure how they did it, all I can tell from looking at pictures is they replaced the main caps w/ Nippon Chemi-cons. An interview I saw from CeBit, the product manager said they also engineered out capacitor & transformer noise. All electrical based audio somehow.

Plus the Be Quiet! PSUs use their Silent Wings fan which is extremely quiet.

I have one in my haswell build, and it's dead silent 3 feet away. Extreme overkill for my power requirements, but i figure all that extra PSU beef cant hurt. All it will do is make sure it runs cooler and gives super clean power.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Seasonic is still good option, i own atm x660 and x400 and both been rock solid, no issues at all, no whine or coil, but there are some users that have reported coil or whining on them, no brand is free of this, so its up to you. Seasonic platinum 1000 was rated among most of the big psu sites as one of the best psu in the market.
Seasonic P-1000 ATX 12V 1000W Platinum Series Power Supply Unit

Kingwin has released also some good Power supplies, they are superflower rebrands, SPCR has reviewed the 550 and 1000 models and came out editors choice.
Kingwin LZP-1000: Platinum Efficiency at a KiloWatt

I have no experience with bequiet, but SPCR did review one, bequiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W Power Supply.
Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 1000W PSU

Btw what hardware you going for to look for 760-1000W psu? A single GPU setup will not need above of 550W, unless a bunch of hdds and extra cards are installed.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:48 pm

Abula wrote:Btw what hardware you going for to look for 760-1000W psu? A single GPU setup will not need above of 550W, unless a bunch of hdds and extra cards are installed.
where the bunch of cards includes another 250W GPU to go with the one you already have :)

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:10 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
Abula wrote:Btw what hardware you going for to look for 760-1000W psu? A single GPU setup will not need above of 550W, unless a bunch of hdds and extra cards are installed.
where the bunch of cards includes another 250W GPU to go with the one you already have :)
TBH steve, i been recently amazed into what i need for hard drives. Im in the process of updrading my server as my antec 1200 is not enough and upon cleaning it it has some places that are starting to develop some rust, so i was checking some cases as my current storage wont be enough soon, and suddenly a Lian Li PC8000 appear in sale so why not..... but this case is huge with some modding i might be able to place close to 40, this is not to be done right away but just to have the flexibility in time to grow with it. But since my Antec 1200 is using CP 850 BTX, it wont fit the lian li case ( unless i do some hard modding that i dont wish to do for an already discontinued PSU). But back into where my i said that, is mostly because im looking for PSU also for the server, searching in unraid forums i stumble on this thread, The Power Supply Thread
A good PSU for unRaid has the following:
1. Single 12 volt rail. A subsequent figures refer to the 12 volt rail.
2. The minimum capacity that can power your build. Any more will just waste power. All drives will be in use during startup, shutdown, parity check, parity build, failed drive emulation, and drive rebuild, but startup requires the most power.
3. 2 amps (24 watts) per green drive and 3 amps (36 watts) per non-green drive on the 12 volt rail.
4. 5 amps (60 watts) for the motherboard on the 12 volt rail.
So assuming my current hardware + couple of hbas more + planning on 36-40hdds.... threw me close 1k PSU, i know in idle will be more like 250 to 300W, but upon loading or parity check or restoring hdds idk.... so either i go with big PSU or i find a way to stagger the spinning of the inital load up to avoid needing such a high PSU, this is why i said so many card and hdd can take you there =).

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:59 pm

you could also use multiple PSU's to split the load of the drives. or maybe even a non PC PSU to provide an ample 12v rail for the bulk of the drives? - just a thought.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:54 pm

Ok - this is heading further from the OP....but, my suggestion would be to look at the hard drive mfgrs spec rather some dude's post in a forum (boy, this kill's my credibility :shock: ).

From the WD Green product page:
WD Green 3 TB SATA Hard Drives ( WD30EZRX)
Electrical Specifications
Current Requirements
12 VDC
Read/Write 1.78 A

Power Dissipation
Read/Write 6.00 Watts
Idle 5.50 Watts
Standby 0.80 Watts
Sleep 0.80 Watts

From the WD Black 4 TB SATA Hard Drives ( WD4001FAEX)
Current Requirements (no instantaneous 12V current listed)
Power Dissipation
Read/Write 10.40 Watts
Idle 8.10 Watts
Standby 1.20 Watts
Sleep 1.20 Watts

and the WD Red:
Current Requirements
12 VDC
Read/Write 250 mA
Idle 230 mA
Standby 7 mA
Sleep 7 mA

5 VDC
Read/Write 280 mA
Idle 260 mA
Standby 105 mA
Sleep 105 mA

Power Dissipation
Read/Write 4.40 Watts
Idle 4.10 Watts
Standby 0.60 Watts
Sleep 0.60 Watts

Heh - that brings up more questions than answers. The WD Green wants 1.78A from the 12V rail...but the Red only wants 250mA from the 12V and 280mA from the 5V. That's a huge disparity.

Looking at the product pdf for Seagate's 7200rpm drives, it's 2 to 2.5A from the 12V rail at startup.

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:20 am

Recently bought a 760 platinum after my M12-600 decided to go bang :x
I was worried about spending so much on a platinum rated PSU vs a gold rated one, but i did know i wanted to go with Seasonic again and one with a little more head room for future upgrades going into the next decade or so.

I'm totally blown away by my new PSU, particularly the hybrid fan mode. I'm not sure the PSU fan has come on since I've had it, if it has i haven't noticed.
Even though i don't have the equipment to measure ripple and all that stuff all the reviews say its the normal high quality Seasonic components and faultless supply.