Comment advice on my combo

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kurwa311

Comment advice on my combo

Post by kurwa311 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:44 am

i am planing to build new pc at October, after win 8.1 release. I don't play games, i mostly need powerful SSD

1)Motheboard BOXDH87RL - i want as much Intel components in my PC. So H87 sounds like best chose for home user.
2)Memory BLT2K8G3D1608ET3LX0 - i like that it use low voltage 1.35 - so it will probably help me with having low power PSU
3)PSU - picoPSU-160-XT - i thought about Fanless seasonic 400W, but i read lots of reviews on buzzle noise and it looks like 160W is enough for my system
4)CPU 4770K - Well, K is worth 30$ so i will be able to downclock it if i need really lower TDP
5)Video - in build, i though about 4770R but i see no devices with it. And i think 4770K is more than enough for HD videos and rest of my using.
6)Zalman ZM-T2 Black - looks like nice and small. But im not sure, maybe i should go for bigger case and have it closed, instead of keeping small one open. I am going for 100% passive
7) Cooler Scythe Ninja 3 и Thermalright HR-02 - HD-02 is best in passive from what i found. Zalman case lets only 143mm radiator, don't know it's sizing. But its ok to keep case open.
8)Hdd 530SSD, 2.5 or msata. prefer msata since it is more modern, and m2 is not supported by motherboard.

So most advices i need on CPU cooler and Case, which one and for open or closed configuration. Budget is not really limited. And i have place for any case, but don't need big one for no reason.

Abula

Re: Comment advice on my combo

Post by Abula » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:03 am

kurwa311 wrote:1)Motheboard BOXDH87RL - i want as much Intel components in my PC. So H87 sounds like best chose for home user.
Fine, intel in my experience build very solid boards with good PWM bios fan control (at least you can drop the fans to their lowest on cpu header). Also is consider one of the most efficient boards on the market, but with little tweakability.
kurwa311 wrote:2)Memory BLT2K8G3D1608ET3LX0 - i like that it use low voltage 1.35 - so it will probably help me with having low power PSU
Im using similar, Curical Ballistic Sport Ultra Low profile, and been working great, on issues with XMP or running at 1.35v on 32gb on 4banks, i also prefer this size as it wont interfere with CPU cooler.
kurwa311 wrote:3)PSU - picoPSU-160-XT - i thought about Fanless seasonic 400W, but i read lots of reviews on buzzle noise and it looks like 160W is enough for my system
I think you should be fine with picoPSU 160XT, just be careful what brick you chose as some of them do have small fans, im using the 150W from picoPSU bundle and been great for three years, no noise, no coil. There is a new one 192W i believe that they bundle with the 160XT.
kurwa311 wrote:4)CPU 4770K - Well, K is worth 30$ so i will be able to downclock it if i need really lower TDP
I would just go with none K if i were not to overclock, you can limit the clocks under windows even on the power management, but i see you are choosing a good cpu cooler i don't think you will have trouble with quad.
kurwa311 wrote:5)Video - in build, i though about 4770R but i see no devices with it. And i think 4770K is more than enough for HD videos and rest of my using.
Intel HD4600 will be more than enough for usual tasks, depending on the software you use you might be even take the advantage of intel QuickSync, and you can always upgrade later if you were to benefit from a dedicated GPU.
kurwa311 wrote:6)Zalman ZM-T2 Black - looks like nice and small. But im not sure, maybe i should go for bigger case and have it closed, instead of keeping small one open. I am going for 100% passive
8)Hdd 530SSD, 2.5 or msata. prefer msata since it is more modern, and m2 is not supported by motherboard.
Im not too sure into what going to do with the PC, you dont play games, and you want a quad core, im guessing you are into editing videos/images/music? else just go with for a dual core, they should be released in less than a month. Now if you do need a quad like 4770k, and you are going into pico psu, i would probably build on a small factor as the PSU space will be empty. I like Lian Li Q11, without the PSU it will fit a very big tower cooler like the HR02 or bigger (important the position of the cpu socket, corss check this), the Q11 only has a single 140mm fan on the front, thats about it, I personally didnt like the one that came with Q08, so i would change it for Noctua NF-A14 PWM and connect it to CPU_FAN header and control it from the BIOS, very easy with intel mobos (at least thats my experience on H61 and Q67).

But i havent seen pure intel haswell itx motherboards, maybe they are delaying them for the release of the dual cores. Now if feel you want to build bigger, then i would consdier Antec SOLO II, Corsair Obsidian 550D /330, Fractal Design Define R4 or Mini.
kurwa311 wrote:8)Hdd 530SSD, 2.5 or msata. prefer msata since it is more modern, and m2 is not supported by motherboard.
Again important to know what you plan on doing with your pc, if you are going into editing or encoding, i would get a seperate mechanical hdd for it or even for storage.
kurwa311 wrote:7) Cooler Scythe Ninja 3 и Thermalright HR-02 - HD-02 is best in passive from what i found. Zalman case lets only 143mm radiator, don't know it's sizing. But its ok to keep case open.
The HR02 imo is not good for passive cooling, it work very well with low rpm fan though, but for going passive on the CPU, i would go with NoFan CR-95C Copper Fanless CPU Cooler. But totally passive for quad core its very dangerous imo, but with a case like Q11 the 140mm fan is right in front of the cpu cooler, so its an intake and cpu cooler fan, so it should be fine.