CPU fanless PC and CPU exchange for a more powerful one

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jewgienij

CPU fanless PC and CPU exchange for a more powerful one

Post by jewgienij » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:52 am

Hi!

My current workstation is as follows:
PSU: SeaSonic SS350ET 80+
MB: ASRock Z68M/USB3
CPU: Intel Celeron G 530, 2.40GHz, 2MB, LGA1155, 32nm
RAM: 8GB = 2 x Good Ram DDR3 4096MB PC1333 CL9 (GR1333D364L9/4G)
SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD1CCA
Case: old noname fullATX got somewhere for free ;)
CPU cooling: Scythe Ninja 1 fanless

I have two questions:

1) I would like to exchange my CPU for a better one, i5 or i7 at least and still remain silent. Please advise me the best possible CPU (power-wise and power/value-wise) for LGA 1155 socket, that can work fanless on my setup. Here's the list of all supported CPUs: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z68MUSB3/?cat=CPU

I do not plan to install any video card at all, ever, so I don't think changing PSU is necessary. But...

2) My PSU (SeaSonic SS350ET 80+) started to work a bit louder. I can hear whining sound coming from it, like if the fan bearing wore out. Is there anything I can do about it? My PC is about 1.5 year old.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: CPU fanless PC and CPU exchange for a more powerful one

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:01 am

Hello and welcome to SPCR. :)

1. Your G530 has great value. In what way do you feel it's inadequate? If you want to upgrade the natural alternatives are imo i3-3225, i5-3570K or i7-3770K. With a fan on or close to the Ninja it can cool any of these. Underclocking might be required if the Ninja has very little airflow. I assume you have some case ventilation?

2. I would return a noisy PSU, if you still have warranty left. If not it's not that hard to replace the fan, but it requires some skill as screwing around inside a PSU could potentially be dangerous.

jewgienij

Post by jewgienij » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:50 am

I want to change my CPU, because sometimes my system freezes for some time until I shut down my database program. I am professional high stakes poker player and these lost seconds often cost me a lot comparing to the price of a new CPU. It will be a huge boost for me if a new CPU enables me to restart the DB in 15 sec instead of 30 sec. Secondary thing is, that I also work as part-time software developer and I want my programs to compile faster.

And no, I don't have any case ventilation. The only fan in my PC is that one in PSU.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:21 am

Ok. Sounds like more cores would be helpful in your situation, if that database program is very CPU intensive and not just single threaded. I would go for an i5, the i7 might be overkill. But you will have to stick a fan on that Ninja. With twice the cores you get twice the heat. Each core will run a bit faster as well. It will work without additional case ventilation, but an exhaust next to the CPU wouldn't hurt.