NH-D14 replacement fans.

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MasterBash

NH-D14 replacement fans.

Post by MasterBash » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi guys, first post!

I have been reading a lot of reviews and the forums pretty often, but I never decided to post. Unfortunately, I never got the exact answers I am looking for.

Currently this is my build:

Coolermaster HAF XM
Maximus VI Formula
4770k @ 4.2ghz (1.14v) with NH-D14
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Geforce GTX760

First I want to say that the fans on the seasonic are not running since the load on my computer is extremely low. This is a gaming PC but it is also used for Home Theatre stuff, so I would like to keep it as quiet as possible.

Honestly, the NF-P14 is too loud for me. Maybe this is because I am using 2 different size of fans (nf-p12 and nf-p14). I am not running any case fans, to reduce the noise, and the temps are very good for what I do, including games.

I am not sure what I should do with it. I am already running it on LNA, but I am wondering if I should just replace it altogether, or just remove the 120mm fan, hoping the noise will drop. Maybe using quieter fans, like the Nexus 120mm fans. I am not sure if it would be better to either use 2x120 or 1x140 and 1x120 or just one of them (140 or 120).

The review states that the Nexus 120mm fans are better than the NF-P14 and NF-P12 when used with the NH-D14. Since there are a lot of 140mm fans now, I am not sure how the 120mm Nexus fan compares to the quiet 140mm fans.

Here is another problem, I am not sure which one is suitable to use with the CPU, since some of them may have extremely low static pressure. Noise is my first priority, though. Maybe I can get away with super silent fans if I add case fans? I have 1x200mm megaflow on top and in front of the case, which are currently unplugged.

The best way to go would be to flat out unplug every single fans, but thats not an option... I use this PC for gaming too. :)

Thanks!

Abula

Re: NH-D14 replacement fans.

Post by Abula » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:14 pm

Fans can be taken to inaudible levels, imo having at least a fan to move air out or in is important, depending on the case it might get hot inside. Personally i prefer more fan spin down than fewer fans spin up, but this is something to test with each case n its components.

The formula has FanXpert2, so i would try it, it will test all you fans and give you the working range on each and drop them as low as it can, this is what i would do and work from there. I believe it even has an option to turn off fans until certain temp, so you can practically be like you are atm or just couple of fans etc, until temp rises.
Here is another problem, I am not sure which one is suitable to use with the CPU, since some of them may have extremely low static pressure.
One fan that been the favorite for some time for watercooling and high static preasure has been Scythe Gentle Typhoon, most use the AP15 1850rpm. SPCR did test some on the Fan Roundup #6: Scythe, Noiseblocker, Antec, Nexus, Thermalright and was one of the most liked of the roundup, although its hard to get the 800rpm version now a days with Scythe distribution on the US. Also you have NF-F12 PWM that noctua design more for radiator or heatsink, and its the 120mm fan noctua is including in their coolers like SPCR Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile Cooler and Noctua NH-U12S Slim Tower Heatsink, and some people on prebuild watercooling are switching to them.

Personally i never been a huge fan of noctua, i like more scythe out of price and their pwm fans are imo really good (kamaflex2 and slipstream), but out of scythe almost none existant on the US market atm, and out of options for 140 PWM fans, im going with noctuas, thier pwm design imo is very good, atm im testing a NF-A15 and NF-A14, both can drop really low below 400rpm, but SPCR dont seem to like them as much as the past gens.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:43 pm

This is one reviewer's testing of the various Noctua PWM fans on a NH-D14. The fans are being run in PWM mode, in some cases including the use of the supplied Noctua Low-Noise adapter.

MasterBash

Post by MasterBash » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:17 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Gentle Typhoon seems pretty good in my opinion. Unfortunately I can only buy the 1450rpm model and that would be ordering oversea. I live in Canada by the way and I am unable to find the 800rpm model here, the 3000rpm model is available though, but I would have to slow it down (I heard it makes some noise at low rpm...). If the 800 rpm model is available in the US, I can easily pick them up, since I live very close to the borders.

Apparently, the 500rpm model is available oversea too. Is that one worth it as CPU fans, or is the RPM way too low?

Also, are they good as case fans? If not, The Scythe Kaze Maru 2 500 and 800rpm (140mm) and the slipstream 1700rpm (140mm) and slipstream kaze 500rpm (120mm) are available, but I am not sure how good they are compared to the Gentle Typhoon. I may use some case fans in the future to create air flow, as long as they are very very quiet. (I have 2x megaflow 200mm fans, 1x Silent Fan 140mm). I know I don't need high static pressure for the case fans.

As for the Noctua fans, they are too noisy for me. They are definitely well built fans, thats for sure, but its not what I am looking for.

laststop

Post by laststop » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:28 pm

I've never had an issue with noctua fans. the nfp14 flx served me quite well. Just slap on the LNA or ULNA adapters and you have golden silence

MasterBash

Post by MasterBash » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:06 am

I don't have a problem with them, they are good fans but they are loud. I tried ULNA on them and my temps are too high. I am using one of them on LNA and I can still hear it.

According to reviews, Scythe fans have better noise/performance. They are also quieter. Since they are highly recommended, I believe it would be the best choice for me. They will be available in the USA/Canada eventually. Scythe USA is reopening mid september.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:18 am

MasterBash wrote:I don't have a problem with them, they are good fans but they are loud. I tried ULNA on them and my temps are too high. I am using one of them on LNA and I can still hear it.

According to reviews, Scythe fans have better noise/performance. They are also quieter. Since they are highly recommended, I believe it would be the best choice for me. They will be available in the USA/Canada eventually. Scythe USA is reopening mid september.
It really depends on a lot of things, but dont expect much better temps at very low rpms, scythe gentle typhoons have been one of prefer fans for rads and also heatsinks, have good static pressure, SPCR did review a couple in one of the roundups and came out really well. Scythe Slipstreams imo are very good, but to me they are more oriented for case fans, even though Scythe does include one in their mugen 2/3/4.

MasterBash

Post by MasterBash » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:17 pm

Scythe Gentle Typhoon 800rpm is what I had in mind to replace my NF-P14 and NF-P12 on my NH-D14.

SPCR's review showed that it had better performance while having less noise. Sure its probably not a HUGE difference, but every little bit helps. If its quiet enough, I wont hear it.