Nearly Noiseless Hasswell System

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Joseph

Nearly Noiseless Hasswell System

Post by Joseph » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:13 am

Since I'm more sensitive for noise then most others, I need to build a system that is nearly noiseless. I also own a Retina Macbook Pro, and I'm very happy with the noise it produces in idle: nearly soundless. That is the same goal I have for my new system.

My current system has a Fractal Design R3 case and an Corsair ModXstream 500W PSU, but I ain't satisfied with the sound it produces. Most people will be laughing at me, since it is actually quiet, but I hear the noise of air blowing all the time and when I'm studying, I'll hear this sound even better which is very frustrating. I think the noise I hear is coming from the PSU, since I don't hear the CPU or Casefans (Scythe SlipStreams), even when I have the case open. All storage is on 2 SSD's. (Intel 240/120)

My new system in a nutshell:
Case: BetFenix Prodigy M (New version compatible with Micro ATX motherboards)
Processor: Intel Core i5 4670T (No, not the K version since I am going to use VT-d. I'm not interested in overclocking.)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Q87M-D2H
GPU: NVidia GTX 760 (Sometimes I like to play a game. (Like FarCry 3, GTA (V), and BattleField))
PSU: Seasonic Platinum Series 520 Watt (Fanless)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 CPU Cooler combined with a Scythe SlipStream Fan. (Heck, only 45Watt of heat needs to be dissipated)
Case Fans: Some Scythe SlipStream CaseFans.

I think this build will be pretty 'soundless', apart from the GPU. So, I am planning to change the cooler to an aftermarket one. I found some reviews who say this cooler is soundless, but I've not seen any real DBa tests.

So, will this build, at least in idle, be soundless? If not, what do I need to change?

CA_Steve

Re: Nearly Noiseless Hasswell System

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:15 am

Welcome to SPCR.

Why not re-use the R3 case?

Liquid cooler mostly benefits overclocking..not noise. Instead of spending $80+ for this and a replacement fan, get a decent air cooler. On the high end, there's the Noctua NH-U12S.

GTX 760 is the sweet spot for high end 1080p. MSI Gaming seems to be the best of the lot. Try it as is..you can use MSI's Afterburner utility to set fan profile. If you need it quieter, you can go for aftermarket cooling...but not that Mono - it will not handle the heat.

CPU: To get to 45W, Intel underclocks and undervolts this CPU. If you have games that use 4 threads/cores, then you'll never see the high turbo clock..just the nerfed base clock...and most games really like to run at 3GHz and higher. I'd go for the i5-4670, instead. The idle/low cpu utilization power use will be similar. If you get a mobo that allows it, you can always underclock/undervolt it yourself.

Mobo: Why the Q87 chipset? Are there specific featuers you need?

PSU: That one can work. Your stressed power use is in the 260 to 300W range depending on the CPU. When gaming, in the 220-260W range. You could drop down to a lower power passive (if it has the two PCIe graphics connectors).

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks for your quick reply.
CA_Steve wrote:Why not re-use the R3 case?
It's a big black beast and I don't like it. The BitFenix is a light and fresh case, also fitting better in my student room. I just like the design.
CA_Steve wrote:Liquid cooler mostly benefits overclocking..not noise. Instead of spending $80+ for this and a replacement fan, get a decent air cooler. On the high end, there's the Noctua NH-U12S.
Your'e right, but I don't see this fitting into the Prodigy M case. Or am I overlooking something? Maybe I should go for the Noctua NH-L9i or are there better options?
CA_Steve wrote:GTX 760 is the sweet spot for high end 1080p. MSI Gaming seems to be the best of the lot. Try it as is..you can use MSI's Afterburner utility to set fan profile. If you need it quieter, you can go for aftermarket cooling...but not that Mono - it will not handle the heat.
No? It is build for 200Watt heat dissipation, the GTX 760 is only 170? Will the MSI be 'noiseless' in idle, measuring from the default desktop - head distance?
CA_Steve wrote:CPU: To get to 45W, Intel underclocks and undervolts this CPU. If you have games that use 4 threads/cores, then you'll never see the high turbo clock..just the nerfed base clock...and most games really like to run at 3GHz and higher. I'd go for the i5-4670, instead. The idle/low cpu utilization power use will be similar. If you get a mobo that allows it, you can always underclock/undervolt it yourself.
The board I wan't doesn't do that. And why? Creating a near noiseless system task 1 should be creating as less heat as possible from the start. I'll stick with the T version.
CA_Steve wrote:Mobo: Why the Q87 chipset? Are there specific featuers you need?
Because of the VT-d and vPro support. Yes, I used it a lot of times.

If the GPU is a problem in the 'noisless' part, are there better options from nVidia?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:20 am

GPU
I would go as CA_Steve suggested, the MSI N760 seems the best of all in terms of noise. In the past i had good experience with Artic Cooling, but not the last time. I was set on getting a gtx780 asap, no custom coolers where avialable and asus directCUII seems to be aimed more for performance than quietness, no other manufacturer had any info on theirs, so i decided to go with Artic Cooling Acelero III, out of having such a good experience with GTX780 galaxy (had that cooler from factory). But there is something wierd with this gen of gpus, specially the gtx780, i can contol the fans, but they go out of contol by themselves, its like something on the gpu dont recognize the rpm of the fans and the gpu ramp it up to max, this behavior happens every 10sec, there is even a thread where others are experiencing the same as me. I also was lucky to know a friend that just took of a Prolimatech Mk-26, and borrowed me the gpu Y pwm splitter to test other fans, and here is is worst, the fans always run at 12V (tested noctua nf-a14, thermalright ty150 and prolimatech vortex 14). So this tells me there is soemthing not standard on the GTX780 on their design of their pwm. Im not sure if the GTX760 will be the same or not, but for this alone i wouldnt recommend it, just go with MSI N760, and if you find it not good enough for you, then do the Artic Cooling over it.

CASE
I also agree with steve, i would use the R3 you already own, or a more quiet oriented case, the Prodigy seems very open with none standard fans, so its a risk. If you want micro atx, there is also silverstone tj08-e and PS07 or fractal define mini.

Motherboard
I would go with Asus for fanXpert2, there are lots of options even beside the gene VI.

PSU
If you go into the prodigy M, i woudlnt go fanless, Seasonic X series ask for an horizontal orientation and to be one side, this is the way its design for it to work, in the prodigy M the PSU is horizontal and i dont even think a fan will give it airflow, for this case i would use a PSU that has a fan on it like Seasonic X560 or Kingiwn LPZ 550.

CPU Cooler,
I would avoid if possible a AIO water cooling, specially the small ones, you will also add the pump noise to the setup. I would go with something like Scythe Mugen 3/4 or Thermlaright HR-02.

Case fans
Slipstreams are fine

CPU
I would go with the plain 4670 and avoid the T, the T versions are just underclock from factory nothing special and they also include a low profile cooler. Its like paying more for less.

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:55 am

Abula wrote:GPU (...)
Looked at the MSI GTX760. However, in some reviews I read that it is about 40dbA idle - that is way too much. I'm building a near noiseless machine - not a vacuum cleaner.
Abula wrote:CASE (...)
In my opinion the Fractal isn't as good in witthelding noise as I thought it was - but maybe in comparison with the BetFenix it is much worse. Still, I don't like the black.
Abula wrote:Motherboard (...)
Why is that neccesary? Gigabyte has also a lot of fan controller options - but the Scythe I want doesn't make a lot of noise anyway. (<12 dbA)
Abula wrote:PSU (...)
So if I go with the Fractal I can use the fanless one without a problem?
Abula wrote:CPU Cooler (...)
I have the Mugen allready in my Fractal Case - and as said before it isn't making any noise at all with the SlipStream fan.
Abula wrote:CPU (...)
To sum up for now:

Stick with the Fractal Design R3.
Stick with the current CPU cooler.
Since I'm going for the Fractal I can add a passive PSU to the setup.
Since I have an SSD it won't make any noise at all.

The last problem is the GPU. As said before - 40dBA is a problem for me. Are there any other nVidia options? If this one can be solved I might have the near soundless system I want.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:57 am

The Bitfenix case isn't available until October. So, you have plenty of time for reviews to filter out. It supports cpu coolers up to 160mm., so there are plenty of air coolers that will fit, including the NH-U12S (barely).

gpu cooler: here's the thing - have you seen any oem solutions for 170W GPUs with only one fan? :) I bet that mono would be spinning like crazy/loud as hell.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:06 pm

The first thing to recognize when reading about noise measurements in reviews is:
- how do they perform the test?
- What equipment is used (what's it's noise floor)?
- how far away are the measurements taken?
- what's the ambient noise level in the room?

40dBA measured at one site isn't the same as 40dBA measured in Mike Chin's anechoic chamber (with the 10-11dBA noise floor).

Unfortunately, there are few sites that can match SPCR's lab. So, the numbers will almost always be much higher than what you might see here. Doesn't mean the parts are louder...just the limit of the test system.

What you can get out of these other reviews is comparison testing
- is this card quieter than this other card?
- how are the GPU and VRM temps for this card compared to another?