Help needed replacing a Synology DS412+ fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aguida

Help needed replacing a Synology DS412+ fans

Post by aguida » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:09 am

I need some advice about replacing the fans of a Synology DS412+. I know that Synology says it is very quiet but that is very far form the thruth, unfortunately. Fans can easily be heard from 3 meter distance, so very much above the 20DB they say!

This NAS comes with 2 fan 92mm: Y.S. Tech, model number FD129225LL-N (12V, 0.12A, 1900RPM, 36.3CFM). However I cannot find any test of this fans so I don't know how much the officall specs are to be trusted. Likewise it seems there have not been any 92 mm fans test here in a long time, and therefore I need to rely onto anybody who has had some recent experience with 92mm. Any suggestions on really really quite 92mms fans?

Alternatively I would have to do some heavy modding to fit 2 120mm fans. Long time ago I used in a PC an asymmetric 92 to 120 adapter, which could eventually be a solution (not pretty but workable) to this problem, but also I don't seem to find it anymore as probably is our of production.

For at look at how this NAS looks outsinde and inside look here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Syno ... lus/1.html

Any suggestion and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Re: Help needed replacing a Synology DS412+ fans

Post by frenchie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:19 am

Welcome to SPCR !

As far as 92 mm fans go, I've used :
- Noctua fans : didn't like them (they tend to hum with resistance on the intake side)
- arctic cooling (with the separate frame) : very good at lower speed, but thicker that usual
- Nexus : very good at low speed, an SPCR favorite (look up the model number in the review)

In your case, I would use the nexus fans.
You will need to turn the fan speed down. I prefer to use a hardwired solution, but there are many other software solution that will also work. You can start with a software control to find the speed that you like best (noise/cooling ratio).
I would also strongly suggest removing the fan grills if you don't have curious pets/kids/siblings...
Finally, if you can, soft mount them with soft grommets.

aguida

Post by aguida » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:36 am

I'll try the nexus and post back the result. Previously I got really good results with Papst but I don't know if those can match the Nexus. About speed this NAS has temperature speed control, so unless the temperature is really high they should be running at rather low speed.

Really hope soon there will be an update on 92mm fans.

scorp

Post by scorp » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:12 am

A bit late, but you might be approaching this the wrong way. It's much easier to edit scemd.xml and create your own fan profile, than change the actual fans. When run at 8%@15Hz they are quiet enough that I can only hear the idling WD30EFRXes.

aguida

Post by aguida » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:49 am

scorp wrote:A bit late, but you might be approaching this the wrong way. It's much easier to edit scemd.xml and create your own fan profile, than change the actual fans. When run at 8%@15Hz they are quiet enough that I can only hear the idling WD30EFRXes.
Hej Scorp, thanks a lot for the tip. NOt too late as I haven't had the time yet. I have bought the fans, so just for future reference I will try to compare them and report here the result.

However I am very interested in your solution as well. Can you point me to more info on how to change scend.xml and most importantly to what? Have you done that and have some recommendation? I am not sure I understand what 8%@15Hz means. As far as I know those are not PWM fans.

BTW I am also going to change the HDs to 2TB 2.5" in silenced enclosures to get rid of the last source of noise. Those 2.5" HD need no cooling at all and since the CPU is also passively cooled, perhaps the fans can just be turned off or run at very very low speed.

scorp

Post by scorp » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:10 pm

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 27#p222365

You need to enable ssh on your NAS and then modify the config files via a ssh client ( like putty ) or with a scp client ( winscp - I think this would be easier for most people ). Take care to modify both scemd.xml files ( /usr/syno/etc.defaults/scemd.xml and /usr/syno/etc/scemd.xml ). After making the changes you need to restart the NAS.

I'm not really sure if you can turn them off, as I never tried to see what happens if I set them at 0%, but at 5-8% they are quiet enough for me ( the NAS is sitting on a desk at around 2m away from my head ). I would think that no cooling wouldn't be a very good thing for the NAS hardware, but you can control that from the .xml file as well ( you can add more disk_temperature and / or temperature entries for finer control of temperature vs fan speed ).
Last edited by scorp on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

aguida

Post by aguida » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:03 am

Thanks a lot for the pointers. I will try it. Just a last question: do you know if there is any add-on for the synology to be able to actually see/monitor the current temperatures (or maybe it is already there but I couldn't find it)?

Thanks

scorp

Post by scorp » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:43 am

In the top menu from DSM ( you open if by clicking the start like button from top-left ) you'll have System Information. Open that application and in the 1st tab ( general ), under Thermal Status you should see a green colored circle. If you hover your mouse over it, you'll see the system temperature ( not sure where that sensor is located ). If you switch to the Storage tab you will see the temperatures of each of your HDDs.

PS: I've checked if the NAS can stop the fans completely and it can. Setting the fan to 0% did the trick.