Noctua NH-U14S Slim 140mm Tower Cooler

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Noctua NH-U14S Slim 140mm Tower Cooler

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:22 pm

Abula

Re: Noctua NH-U14S Slim 140mm Tower Cooler

Post by Abula » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:41 pm

Thank you very much for the review Lawrence,

Very grateful for the dual test on PWM n Voltage control, in the review and in my testing this is how it behave.

I also agree the price needs to go down, seems very similar to the performance of the HR02 n Mugen 4, the price should be around $50 to $60, considering the fan drops extremely low compared to TY141/TY147 on the Macho and Gildestream of the Mugen4.

Im really hopping you guys get some samples on NH-D15 and HR22 before years end, i think both coolers will end up retaking the top slots for each category.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:50 pm

An email response to the review from Jakob of Noctua, which I think he won't mind sharing with SPCR readers:
Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for your nice review on the NH-U14S! We have linked it on our website right away as usual and I'm glad to see that the cooler has got your recommendation again.

I was a bit surprised to see that you seem to prefer the NF-P14 over the NF-A15 - if I'm not mistaken, pretty much all reviewers so far agreed that the A15 provides an improvement over the P14. Since you have the same concerns with different samples, I think we can rule out the possibility that you've got a bad unit, yet the temperature results you show actually seem to indicate that you got at least as good results with the A15 (and even better at 18/19dB). But I guess you just don't like its sound characteristics?

Also, one note on why we went for the slim design rather than for an asymmetrical one: We see the U14S as an ideal choice for LGA2011 which has RAM on both sides of the socket, so an asymmetrical design doesn't really help.

mkk

Post by mkk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:20 pm

To provide coolers with different dimensions is always a nice idea, though I kindof wonder where this one has its ideal target. Where does one find a setup where the width needs to be slim while the height acceptance is 165mm? Perhaps 2011 socket motherboards with tall memory on both sides, but where else really? I guess it might not matter when it performs well anyway, it just seems a little bit curious. A variant made around a 120mm fan, just slightly lower and with "shorter" length of fins could fit nicely into some modern ITX builds. Unless they have a product like that already, I'm not overly familiar with their lineup.

It's great that they comment on articles. Shows that they care.

Price might not be a problem. Their customers largely expect it.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:15 pm

What I like about this year's crop of coolers is that they proved they don't need to be ultrawide/ultraheavy to be in the top tier for cooling at decent noise levels.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:08 pm

CA_Steve wrote:What I like about this year's crop of coolers is that they proved they don't need to be ultrawide/ultraheavy to be in the top tier for cooling at decent noise levels.
Well the HR22 is coming..... =P that will probably take the first PCIe slot like the new Silver Arrow SBE, but it should also perform slightly better.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Abula wrote:Well the HR22 is coming..... =P that will probably take the first PCIe slot like the new Silver Arrow SBE, but it should also perform slightly better.
<shrugs> Increasingly, a corner case solution rather than something I'd recommend for a build.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:14 am

mkk wrote:A variant made around a 120mm fan, just slightly lower and with "shorter" length of fins could fit nicely into some modern ITX builds. Unless they have a product like that already, I'm not overly familiar with their lineup.
Yes, they do - the Noctua NH-U12S which is 158mm high, 45mm deep and 125mm wide. Has five heatpipes, one less than the U14S. Has been reviewed by SPCR.