Wiring Dell DA-2 with PicoPSU for standby

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

stepinrazor

Wiring Dell DA-2 with PicoPSU for standby

Post by stepinrazor » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Has anyone been able to wire the Dell DA-2 with a PicoPSU and let the DA-2 remain on standby until the PC is powered on?

It looks like this german guy was able to do it, but I cant understand or follow how he did it? Anyone know how to translate or better yet done it themselves? Someone should do a tutorial, I'll gladly do it if someone can competently translate it and the wiring diagram.

http://forum.purepc.pl/topic/336262-hexacoremini-itx/

edh

Re: Wiring Dell DA-2 with PicoPSU for standby

Post by edh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Can't specifically help but should point out that this is Polish, not German. Maybe if you try Google Translate Polish > your language can give more info, just in case German > your language didn't work.

Zolishoru

Post by Zolishoru » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:02 pm

The "secret" is in this image: original link.
Summary:
1. Uses the power-on button to start the Dell&PicoPSU simultaneously
2. Uses the power-LED pins from the motherboard and an optocoupler to keep the Dell on

stepinrazor

Post by stepinrazor » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Zolishoru wrote:The "secret" is in this image: original link.
Summary:
1. Uses the power-on button to start the Dell&PicoPSU simultaneously
2. Uses the power-LED pins from the motherboard and an optocoupler to keep the Dell on
Zolishoru - you think you could help me figure out how to translate the diagram and get the parts/wiring?

Zolishoru

Post by Zolishoru » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 pm

I will give a try this weekend to make a detailed explanation.

stepinrazor

Post by stepinrazor » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Zolishoru wrote:I will give a try this weekend to make a detailed explanation.
Wow Thanks Zolishoru!

mariner8611

Post by mariner8611 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:26 am

Thanks to both of you. This is brilliant.

battleangel

Post by battleangel » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:53 am

Stupid question, but is this something you have to do if you want to use a PicoPSU and the Dell DA-1/2/3 and have your computer in standby? Or is it just to conserve power? I ran that Polish link through Google translate and it would seem that the standby power consumption decreased by about 1W?

Still on the fence regarding the Dell bricks. I have a PicoPSU-160-XT and I'm looking for a good AC/DC adapter. Preferably cheap and with good efficiency. Any ideas? The selection in Sweden is fairly limited.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 am

It's not required. I wire the DA-2 trigger cable to ground, so the brick is on all the time (as most bricks are). I usually use a power strip though, cutting power to everything. But sometimes I forget to flip the switch and the stuff remains on. No problem.

And finding good bricks in Sweden is a pain.. The DA-2 has pretty good efficiency but it's very large and powerful. Overkill in most cases.

mariner8611

Post by mariner8611 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:33 am

Some DA-2 are known to make a squeaky noise if no power is drawn when turned on. This would take care of the problem.

Returning the DA02 to standby mode would also eliminate whatever concerns one may have regarding leaving the ATX 12V rail on when the computer is turned off.

battleangel

Post by battleangel » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:39 am

Vicotnik wrote:It's not required. I wire the DA-2 trigger cable to ground, so the brick is on all the time (as most bricks are). I usually use a power strip though, cutting power to everything. But sometimes I forget to flip the switch and the stuff remains on. No problem.

And finding good bricks in Sweden is a pain.. The DA-2 has pretty good efficiency but it's very large and powerful. Overkill in most cases.
I eventually got a DA-1 on Ebay.co.uk instead (£13 including shipping). Cheaper than DA-2 and should be more than enough. I have to say that thing was built like a tank despite "only" being 150W.
mariner8611 wrote:Some DA-2 are known to make a squeaky noise if no power is drawn when turned on. This would take care of the problem.

Returning the DA02 to standby mode would also eliminate whatever concerns one may have regarding leaving the ATX 12V rail on when the computer is turned off.
I see. My DA-1 does whine ever so slightly, but it seems to be about the same regardless of whether it's on or off. I haven't soldered the Mini Fit Jr molex yet so I don't know if it'll be worse under load. I sure hope not.