Advice on Passive Cpu Cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ThisHertz

Advice on Passive Cpu Cooler

Post by ThisHertz » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:48 am

Hello SPCR,i have been lurking for some time now.Figured i should make and account.I have a question for you.

I am planning on getting the i5-4570s for an upcoming build.It is a 65w tdp cpu.

What would be the smallest/lightest fanless cooler that can keep this cpu within safe temperatures ?
The 8+ heatpipe fat tower/dual tower monsters won't fit the enclosure i will be using so thats why i am asking.An h87 mobo pcb wouldn't probably handle the weight of them anyway :)

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Advice on Passive Cpu Cooler

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:19 am

We need more info. :) What enclosure will you be using?

ThisHertz

Post by ThisHertz » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:16 am

Vicotnik wrote:We need more info. :) What enclosure will you be using?
It will be custom made by a guy who makes electronic enclosures.It will have about 13 cm clearence from mobo to the side panel,if its any longer than that the back panel would look silly.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:03 am

Any case fans?

ThisHertz

Post by ThisHertz » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:18 pm

No case fans,the enclosure will have ventilation at top and near the components.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:48 pm

I wouldn't try all passive cooling with a 65W CPU, even with one of the big heatpipe tower coolers. You need something like the huge Nofan coolers for that, or one of the better heatpipe cases. Maybe if you underclock. And if you do that you might as well go with a CPU that isn't factory underclocked.

If you can get a quiet fan in there, it would make it a whole lot easier. A single quiet fan makes a huge difference vs no fan at all.

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:48 pm

I second Vicotnik. 65W is way higher than what can be cooled passively. Otherwise, it will require huge clearance as mentioned above.

I would buy Noctua NH-U12S (NH-14S will be über kill). As far as I know, you will be able to keep its temperature under 60 Celsius at around 500 rpm (perhaps even 400 rpm) in full load state, which is inaudible.