SilverStone Fortress FT04 Tower

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

SilverStone Fortress FT04 Tower

Post by Lawrence Lee » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:41 pm

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: SilverStone Fortress FT04 Tower

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:13 am

Bit of a disappointment for a new SilverStone case indeed, never mind a Fortress-branded one. How does this pass quality control?

The front's intake looked inspiring, but that's about it for this case.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:27 am

I guess SilverStone is no longer what it used to be.

mkk

Post by mkk » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:05 am

I've seen it before in the case business, a maker takes a venerable existing name and slaps it onto a case that has no direct relation to the previous line. I have a feeling someone high up really liked the look of the visual design, and all went south from there. I find the silver version hideous to boot. :roll:

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:50 am

Thanks Lawrance for the review,
rpsgc wrote:I guess SilverStone is no longer what it used to be.
I honestly disagree, I think there are plenty of good design by them the TJ08-E, granadia series, the sugo series, FT02, RV03, etc.

I thiink the problem here is they had so much success with the tj08-e that they tried to do a big version and charge more than twice fot it, forgeting they FT02 is the best air cooling case till today, they shoulda just improve their great design, maybe a little wider to support higher coolers, put 38 of the new AP182 and would been great.

But I do think all companies have done good and bad designs, and this is not bad just not what all the FT02 fans were expecting.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:09 am

Abula wrote:I honestly disagree, I think there are plenty of good design by them the TJ08-E, granadia series, the sugo series, FT02, RV03, etc.
So I say they are not as good as they once were, and you use examples of past products to try and prove me wrong? And just because something is good, doesn't mean it's as good as what came before. So my statement is correct no matter how you look at it.

This is a Fortress series case. The "flagship" of mid towers as they call it. It's supposed to be as flawless as possible. Those faults are just not excusable, they're unacceptable on a case that costs more than $200.

I look at the "old" Temjin cases and weep.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:47 am

Regarding the fit & alignment issues, I caution that this is ONE SAMPLE, which was obviously sent from the US distributor w/o any cherry-picking -- it had not been repacked post-factory. It is possible that this is atypical -- although the number of interconnected large panels makes it a more common possibility than with other less complex cases. I also don't think one less-than-perfect case or sample is enough to judge a whole brand/company with such a big product line to be on the decline.

Unhedged

Post by Unhedged » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:15 pm

I was surprised there was no in-depth analysis of the AP182 and the possible fan speed/voltage configurations like there was in the FT02 review. Other than that the case seems pretty disappointing :( looks like I'll be going with the FT02 after all.

Blood
Friend of SPCR

Post by Blood » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:24 am

What a strange case....