fanless PSU - bottom or top mounting?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

dan

fanless PSU - bottom or top mounting?

Post by dan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:20 pm

fanless PSU like seasonic require the vents to point up.

i'd like to know is it better for fanless psu to be bottom mounted or top mounted on atx cases?

Some top-mounted ATX cases have no venting holes, which I would think might present ventilation problems for such fanless PSU

edh

Re: fanless PSU - bottom or top mounting?

Post by edh » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:38 am

Why always so many questions? Haven't these topics all been covered in depth elsewhere?
http://www.silentpcreview.com/fanless-psu-build-guide

mkk

Post by mkk » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Top mounted is simply never a good idea regardles of the individual power supply design. Bar some really exotic case design perhaps, but none that I've seen.

dan

Post by dan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:52 pm

mkk wrote:Top mounted is simply never a good idea regardles of the individual power supply design. Bar some really exotic case design perhaps, but none that I've seen.
according to the article, top-mounted w/holes at the top is ideal for fanless PSUs.

not sure how that effects the cpu cooling though

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:33 pm

mkk wrote:Top mounted is simply never a good idea regardles of the individual power supply design. Bar some really exotic case design perhaps, but none that I've seen.
While i agree with you into most, i do think there are exceptions, for example Antec Solo II and Silverstone TJ08-E / FT04, all of them have top mounted PSU and they have a grill on top, so for a passively cooled or semi passive this helps exit the hot air of the PSU and not affect much the hole system temp, while on something like the Fractal R4 with bottom mounted, it will increase the air inside. That said i favor bottom mounted, but not fully passive, semi passive is fine with fan facing down.