Intel Atom E3800

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jakoob

Intel Atom E3800

Post by Jakoob » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi guys,
since I'm still waiting for my dreamboard (D2800MT returned after week, because of poor HD capability), I've done some recent research and:

1) There is quite a shortage of Atom boards with D2800, D2700, 2500
2) Intel quietly released Atom E3800 family

=> Are there new boards coming up, or Intel is completely kiling "classic" Atom boards and will focus only on overpriced NUC board?

Source:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... brief.html
http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-Atom ... 0461.shtml
http://www.portwell.com/products/detail ... 8078#order

HFat

Re: Intel Atom E3800

Post by HFat » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Last I heard, Intel was getting out of the mobo market, Atom or not.

The update (Silvermont/Bay Trail) which has obsoleted the 2012 Atoms is so far as I know not yet available to retail motherboard customers even though a few mobo vendors have announced models months ago.
The desktop versions which should come with most mITX boards in the next few months (hopefully) are not be branded Atom but Pentium or Celeron. But they're effectively be the current Atom generation.

Intel has also released Atom-cheap underclocked Sandy Bridge chips a while back which have been used by various mobo vendors. These could conceivably be used instead of Atom boards. It seems at least one of these mobos is designed to be passively cooled.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:16 pm

HFat wrote:Last I heard, Intel was getting out of the mobo market, Atom or not.
you mean no intel branded motherboard? like AMD? on all chipsets?

HFat

Post by HFat » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:07 pm

No Intel-branded board offered as a product (as opposed to sold as part of a NUC or something) to retail consumers at least.
But Intel's policy may have changed since that announcement. Or may change in the future... I wouldn't think that's likely though. Intel profits are so high where it enjoys a virtual monopoly, there's not much sense in diluting that.

I don't know exactly what AMD is doing at this point. I am kind of past caring. How long ago was Kabini supposed to have been released already?

washu

Post by washu » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:44 am

As HFat pointed out, there are some Sandy Bridge based mini-ITX boards that are in the same price range as Atom boards. Because they have the same HD graphics as other SB chips they play back HD content just fine.

I personalty own the Gigabyte GA-C1007UN which has a dual core Ivy Bridge based Celeron included. It is night and day faster than Atom boards, was about the same price ($90) and plays back anything I've thrown at it.

Jakoob

Post by Jakoob » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:44 am

washu wrote:I personalty own the Gigabyte GA-C1007UN which has a dual core Ivy Bridge based Celeron included. It is night and day faster than Atom boards, was about the same price ($90) and plays back anything I've thrown at it.
Can you please share your power consumption? I wanted to get one, but my plan is to run server 24/7 so I'm looking for idle around 10 W....

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:17 am

Jakoob wrote:
washu wrote:I personalty own the Gigabyte GA-C1007UN which has a dual core Ivy Bridge based Celeron included. It is night and day faster than Atom boards, was about the same price ($90) and plays back anything I've thrown at it.
Can you please share your power consumption? I wanted to get one, but my plan is to run server 24/7 so I'm looking for idle around 10 W....
10W is not that easy to reach, but its doable as long as you don't have many hdds or that you can spin them down. Look into Kappa7 build (3rd post on the thread), he was able to reach your desired 10W idle with its build (headless and no perif), even with a quad core, but no mechanical hdds. Key for reaching that low is the intel motherboard and picoPSU, but if you go with a standard ATX, i doubt you will be able to reach 10W idles.

washu

Post by washu » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:29 am

Jakoob wrote:Can you please share your power consumption? I wanted to get one, but my plan is to run server 24/7 so I'm looking for idle around 10 W....
I unfortunately never hooked the board up to a power meter while it was running Windows. I only had Windows on it briefly to test its suitability as an HTPC for a friend. It passed that test with flying colours.

I use the board as a router/server running FreeBSD. FreeBSD is unfortunately not as good as Windows in terms of power saving so take these numbers with a grain of salt. With 1 SSD, 1 2.5" HDD, both NICs connected, PICO PSU and a probably not great brick it idles around 24-25W. That was comparable to my older Atom D510 at 22-23W with similar components, but has way better performance. Disconnecting one of the NICs drops a watt and spinning down the HDD drops another 1 or 2.

I would guess that running Windows and with a good PS that under 20W is quite doable, but 10 is probably pushing it.

You may want to look at other NM70 boards than the Gigabyte one. The GB board has some legacy parts that you may not need like PCI which bump up the power consumption a bit.