Which quiet PSU is rock stable voltage wise?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

terramir

Which quiet PSU is rock stable voltage wise?

Post by terramir » Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:56 pm

Hello I'm in the market for a rock stable PSU the one I have now while quiet is not good. :(
I have a cheapo PSU with a modded panaflo inside a little circuit I put together from an old TV MB parts based on the simple voltage regulator going around the fan is at 8.6V which is sufficent airflow. :)
the voltages are around the following 12V = 12.91; 5V= 4.85; and 3.3V= around 3.15 this is totally unacceptable, :( but it's a cheap piece of cr** anyway. :P
Which one of the quiet power supplies is rock solid voltage wise? I mean 5V= 5.00 =/- 0.05; 12V= 12.00 =/- 0.05; and 3.3v is 3.30 =/- 0.025.
I need a very reliebale powersupply in the 425 w range :)
any of you have any ideas? Also long-term stablity is important I mean after 48 hrs of constant running it's can't go out of whack.
please help and post your data so I can make an informed decision
thanks
terramir

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:14 pm

I doubt you'd find anything with that tight regulation outside a lab-grade PS. There are far too many transient conditions in a PC for that tight a regulation to be maintained by a switching-mode PSU. Why would you "need" it anyway? Intel's own specifications for the ATX PSU standard calls for no worse than 5%. Seems like you junko PSU stays within that spec. Your "needs" are 1% or tighter.

Having said that, the closest I've tested is the Antec TrueControl 550. It won't maintain 1% VR through all transients, but over the long term, it probably does. Plus the ability to tweak voltage lines to your heart's content will probably warm your cockles. Check the review on the main site.

terramir

Post by terramir » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:57 pm

how about one that was not designed for quiet but can be modded? anyof you know any thing that one is a bit over my budget :(
terramir

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:50 am

I have a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 400 modded with a Panaflo L1A, but I just noticed your "Budget" comment.

Of course it is rock solid - but at a price.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:50 am

question why do u need a 425 w psu ? Are u running two systems off of one power supply. It seems to be the consciencous that you really dont need anything over a 300-350 w unless your running 2 processors and several hard drives.

terramir

Post by terramir » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:27 am

ahh I have 2 harddrives one of which is scsi 15000 rpm
I have a dvd and cd-rw
I have pcmcia slots an internal lcd that displays some things and external superdisk 240 that draws power from the mobo
also I have 6 pabst fgl4412 drawing power 2 in series drawing 6V each 6+6=12 and four drawing 5v
and one of these days I will be adding a raedon 9700 pro all in wonder
when saphire tech comes out with the heatpipe model for that one :)
thinking towards the future especially because my next mobo will be an nforce 2 chipset and I will be running the memory and fsb at 200 mhz
with a 10x multi for the cpu I will be using alot of power trust me :)
I might also be adding another scsi drive one of these days :)
yeah and one of these days I will also sandwich my drives :)
so Trust me for stable operation I need at least 425 450 would give me some more room
terramir